Problems with battery powered Takamine Elec/Acoustic

JSmalley12000

• Members

I took my Takamine (I don't know off the top of my head which model) elec/acoustic guitar to an open mic last night and I'd just put a new 9-V battery in it the night before, with no real playing until the show. I played 3 songs, my friends played 3 songs but on the 7th or so song, static started creeping into the output. They changed guitars and the static was gone. I tested the battery on my tongue and still sensed a strong output signal.

Does anyone have experience with battery-powered electric acoustic guitars? Does anyone know what might have happened in this particular situation? And lastly, does anyone know if my guitar can be fixed in order to change the pickup and interface from battery powered to drawing power from the PA?

Thanks!

• Members

I don't know if I would consider the old tongue test that reliable. Have you considered that it might have been a bad battery. Sometimes that happens. First get a new battery and try that.

You could have a short in the wiring. On my Alvarez MF80C, I had a similar problem and found that the end jack had developed a slight bend that happened who knows how. I straightened it out so the jack would seat nicely in place and the static was gone. It was one of those "sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't" situations. No more problems after that.

I believe you'll figure out that it is a really simple situation if you just explore a bit.

As far as phantom powered guitar pickups, I have no idea.

Good Luck

RT1:cool:

• Members

How does the battery mount in your guitar? My Takamine has the identical problem, and I believe I've tracked it down to the battery compartment. The entire preamp lifts out of the guitar. Their are metal strip contacts on the bottom of the box that meet corresponding contacts on the inside compartment. It seems that the contacts are not meeting cleanly, or perhaps not making a strong enough connection.

The bottom contacts are spring-like strips. I gently bent them up a bit to try to make a better contact. This worked moderately well, but since the contact must be broken every time the battery is changed, the problem does come back occasionally. The worst thing, though, is that movement and vibration can also cause the problem. It's a pain, and if I ever get another electro/acoustic (which is not in the foreseeable future) I'll definitely get one with a separate battery compartment, or better yet a traditional 9v clip on connector.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I had this trouble with my Ibanez Accostic/electric. I used to plug into the PA with a lo z connection on my guitar. The board was running phantom power. Switched over to 1/4 inch and trouble was gone. Or disconect the 3rd wire from the mic cable that feeds phantom power.

• Members

I Have a tak and i know that my PA eats batteries like a hog and the static that you heard might be simply the batterie going out....usually it happends to me when i practice at home and the batterie is starting to finish i hear static...

CONCLUSION - I SHALL NOT BUY A BATTERIE PA AGAIN !

i just cant stand changing batteries all the time...and i have only like 2 hours of playing time and it eats up the batteries like nothing a alternative is to buy a batterie Recharger and keep charging them all the time....:rolleyes:

• Members

I have heard of people who's Taks have had problems with the PA (either 9v eaters or noise-makers).

Maybe I'm lucky - I've had my Tak for three years and have not had any problems and have only needed to change my battery three times (under moderate use).

• Members

Originally posted by 2deaconblues

How does the battery mount in your guitar? My Takamine has the identical problem, and I believe I've tracked it down to the battery compartment. The entire preamp lifts out of the guitar. Their are metal strip contacts on the bottom of the box that meet corresponding contacts on the inside compartment. It seems that the contacts are not meeting cleanly, or perhaps not making a strong enough connection.

The bottom contacts are spring-like strips. I gently bent them up a bit to try to make a better contact. This worked moderately well, but since the contact must be broken every time the battery is changed, the problem does come back occasionally. The worst thing, though, is that movement and vibration can also cause the problem. It's a pain, and if I ever get another electro/acoustic (which is not in the foreseeable future) I'll definitely get one with a separate battery compartment, or better yet a traditional 9v clip on connector.

I've had that EXACT problem with my Tak. They need to make the spring strips stiffer or something, because it inevitably flexes back to original position and I have to bend it back up periodically. If I wasn't so lazy I'd probably mod it with a connector, as you suggested.

• 13 years later...

Archived