Potentiometer value for FX loop passive volume control

markblasco

• Members

I'm trying to put together a little passive volume box to use as a master volume for my mini rectifier, so that I can get the individual channel levels both even and at a good volume, and then use this separate control for changing overall volume without having to adjust the channels. Unless someone tells me this is a bad idea, I'm planning to just put a potentiometer in a little box, and have that in the loop.

My question is, what value would be best for this? I believe the amp has a tube buffered FX loop, so my inclination is that I can use something around 1meg, but I'm just guessing here. If someone can give me some suggestions (and maybe a link to a good one I should buy), I'd appreciate it.

• Members

I built something similar to this to use in the effects loop of a Mesa Studio .22, I'm pretty sure I used a 100K-ohm pot. It works great!

Effects loops are buffered, so you can use a lower resistance pot, I'm sure almost any value between 1 meg and 10K would get the job done. 100K is a common and easy-to-find value.

footswitch1.jpg

footswitch2.jpg

This box turns on the loop attenuator when the Studio .22's 'boost' function is on.

• Members

OK, well if a lower ohm pot will work, I've got plenty of 250K pots for guitar stuff, so I'll just throw one of those in a box and there we go. Maybe I'll put in two and a button to switch between two different settings. If I put that in the pedal board it could be it's own built in solo setting.

• Members

Well, I used a 250k pot from my stack of guitar parts, and it seems to be working great. Now I can use FX in the loop without blowing out my ears if something is set wrong, and can set both channels even with each other without fiddling with the knobs every time I want it louder or softer. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a master volume and has an FX loop.

Archived