Sign in to follow this  
justjammin

Boss BR-1180 Multi-Track Recorder w/CD malfuntioning. Can it be repaired?

I have a Boss BR-1180 Multi-Track Recorder w/CD which I purchased used. I knew in advance that the CD player was not functioning as it should. I love the unit and want to keep it. I need some help from anyone that might know, can it be repaired easily? If I insert a CD, I either get a error message saying "CD read error", or "CD Disk not ready".

I've cleaned the CD lens but that did not help. I don't know what to do next, and wonder if anyone out there could advise me on what I could do to remedy the problem, or should I give up hope on the built in CD, and maybe purchase an 'external' CD recording device. If this is the route I should take any suggestions on what to look for? In advance, I would like to thank anyone that takes the time to offer me any useful advice. Thank you!

When the 1180's first came out, you could buy them with or without the cd burner in them - so the burner is replaceable. But, whether or not you can still find a commercially available one, I can't say. I seem to recall that the ones that were sold seperately were made by Maxtor (you might want to double check that). I do know that it's thinner than a PC HD, so keep that in mind. You should also be sure that it is actually the burner that's the problem and not an operator error or a problem somewhere else in the machine. Have you tried initializing the unit again. If you have the manual, the details will be in there. You might even find the info on the Boss/Roland website - it's usually pretty helpful. Also, contacting Boss directly can be very helpful. They have great customer service. I'm sure they could tell you whether there are replacement HD's that would work. Installation and removal is done by taking the bottom off the unit. It's fairly simple.

• Like 1

I have done a system restore and initialized the unit, but this did not fix the problem. I have read the manual and looked at the troubleshooting guide. I just maybe was hoping someone has experienced the same issue and maybe had a solution. I think I will contact Boss (customer service) to see if we can maybe diagnose the problem & go from there. Thanks for your response and suggestions.

Waaay back when I first joined this forum, another person was having a similar problem with their Boss all-in-one unit. The problem was her CD burner was broken, so she couldn't save or backup her hours and hours of music she'd recorded onto it. What complicated the repair was that the CD burner used a SCSI interface instead of the much more common IDE interface. The only SCSI CD burners I could find were by mail order and were insanely expensive, like over $200 for a CD burner. The SCSI interface was the new "better" technology years ago, but it's obsolete now. I've never, ever heard of a CD burner being "repaired", they're always replaced with a new one. The dixie cup business model applied to electronics. :)

I would think if those Boss all-in-ones have been redesigned since then, that they may use IDE drives now instead of SCSI. In that case it should be easy and simple to replace. Basically what you need to do is take out the old one and see what kind of data cable it uses. Take a picture and post it if you can.

Waaay back when I first joined this forum, another person was having a similar problem with their Boss all-in-one unit. The problem was her CD burner was broken, so she couldn't save or backup her hours and hours of music she'd recorded onto it. What complicated the repair was that the CD burner used a SCSI interface instead of the much more common IDE interface. The only SCSI CD burners I could find were by mail order and were insanely expensive, like over $200 for a CD burner. The SCSI interface was the new "better" technology years ago, but it's obsolete now. I've never, ever heard of a CD burner being "repaired", they're always replaced with a new one. The dixie cup business model applied to electronics.
:)

I would think if those Boss all-in-ones have been redesigned since then, that they may use IDE drives now instead of SCSI. In that case it should be easy and simple to replace. Basically what you need to do is take out the old one and see what kind of data cable it uses. Take a picture and post it if you can.

Rather fixing, or replacing (which sounds costly), are there stand alone cd buners/recorders that can be purchased with stereo rca ins for aux recording? My 1180 unit has stereo outs/ins (rca). I'm not so concerned with backing up my recorded material as much as I'm wanting my material recorded on to cd (simply to just listen to in the car, & share w/others).

Is there anyway you take a song from email off your phone and put it on a track to record something else with it or not? And if not is there any suggestions on how I should do it because it got sent to me via email

Yes, that can be done, I do it on occasion, but I don't use my phone, too many hoops to jump through.

what format was the music sent via e-mail?

What kind of phone?

do you have a computer [or at least a tablet, which makes this much easier to do]?

As daddymack says, its just a matter of downloading the file, wave/mp3 etc. then importing it into a DAW. 

You may need to up-sample the file if its compressed to save space.  I typically do all my recording at 24/48.   If I want to import a CD quality wave file of 16/44.1 I need to up sample it before importing.  Some DAW programs will do this for you depending on the type of file you're trying to import. 

As a note, What will NOT happen is the song you import will remain as a stereo (or mono) recording.  In other words, a daw program cannot separate a stereo file back into a multitrack recording the way it was before it was mixed.  No program can do that so any thoughts of replacing parts with your own are severely limited.  Example, you can use a Vocal eliminator and use it to mute the original vocal part down. Adding a new voice may be able to mask what the vocal eliminator couldn't remove.  That tool does allot of damage to any music in the same frequency range as the vocals however. You typically wind up with highs and lows but things like snare, guitars, keyboard etc being cut back. 

Separating instrument tracks otherwise cant be done.  Not after the tracks have been mixed to a stereo file.  You can import the recording and add additional tracks but you wont be able to fix or replace what's already there.  Maybe with something that's been hard panned left you could again, limit that tracks output and use the other track only, but that's more of a fluke then a standard.  In summary, if you want to replace instruments, you need the original multitrack which you import individually.  If you use the same audio program as the author, most daw programs provide a unique method of saving files which compacts everything down to a portable file which can be opened on any computer running the same program.   Some are even backwards compatible, at least for the basic tracks.  Effects can also be included so long as the destination computer has the same plugins running.  I move Project files from one DAW to another all the time and it works fine so long as both have the same plugins loaded.