Morgan Guitar

SongMan

• Members

I am thinking of ordering a Morgan Concert cutaway, rosewood side/back, and sitka spruce top.

Those of you who own or have experiences with Morgan guitars, Please speak up and share your review.

I am specially interested in how the sound might differ compare to Larrivee.

thanks, David

• Members

I played one in a little shop in Pentictan B.C. a year ago. Was one of the finest guitars I have ever played. Don't remember the model - OM sized, rosewood, no cut. Simply a stunning little fingerpicker. Unfortunately they didn't have anything of that quality in the shop to compare too and I have a hard time quantifying what I hear.

I believe it would be a wonderful choice.

• Members

I played a Morgan Monroe on Friday afternoon that I was absolutely taken back by. Is that the same as you are talking about? I had never even heard of one before. It was a dread. Solid Rose/Spru with an ebony fingerboard. If you are talking about a different make of git, I apologize.

Two things I did not like about it. First, the finish was EXTREMELY thick, I mean it looked like it had been dipped in polyurethane. Also, it had them butterbean tuners on it. I really don't like them very much. Mainly because I can't seem to hold onto them very well for some reason. Made in China BTW.

All in all, for $699, (case was extra) it was a very buyable guitar. If I was in the market for a new acoustic, I would have bought that particular instrument.

RT1:)

• Members

Originally posted by recordingtrack1

Made in China BTW.

All in all, for $699, (case was extra) it was a very buyable guitar. If I was in the market for a new acoustic, I would have bought that particular instrument.

RT1:)

I one I tried was made in B.C. - I want to say Vancouver. It was about 4 times the price of RT's, unfortunately

• Members

Hey Songman,

You must be the same guy I've been talking to about the Morgan. As for the Larrivee comparison, I'd say they are comparable. A Morgan is like a really high end Larrivee though my Morgan 00 has probably twice the volume that my Larrivee OM-5 has. It's a real cannon and just an all around great and versatile guitar.

A Morgan shouldn't be confused with a Morgan Monroe - totally different beasts all together.

While were on the topic of Morgans, I might as well share my story from this weekend...

I attended a guitar workshop/concert given by Daithi Sproule. He's an Irish guitarist who plays with the band Altan. He had a DADGAD workshop/concert this weekend here in Madison. I brought my Morgan 00 along. After the workshop, all of us guitarists were sitting around playing our instruments. Daithi came up to me and asked if he could take a look at my guitar. He said he heard me playing it from across the room and that it sounded "lovely". After playing around on it for awhile he said that the workmanship was superb and that it was a beautiful guitar.

After he played his concert that night he came up to me again and asked if I still had my guitar around. He wanted to introduce me to his wife and let her take a look at the guitar. She played on it for awhile and said that it had a very rich sound. Pretty cool, maybe there's a Morgan in their future?

Archived