Creating a Publishing Company

• Members

What's the purpose, what's the typical cost associated with it? One man deal or get a group into it? Can one simply act as an individual and just be referred to as "publisher" in legal documentation?

It doesn't cost anything to register as a self-publisher with ASCAP. I just came up with a name and registered it with them. When I get statements from them, I get one to me and one to my publishing co.

The purpose is that royalties are paid 200%:100% to the writer and 100% to the publisher. Therefore, when I got airplay in Norway, I got twice the royalties.

• Members

It doesn't cost anything to register as a self-publisher with ASCAP. I just came up with a name and registered it with them. When I get statements from them, I get one to me and one to my publishing co.

The purpose is that royalties are paid 200%:100% to the writer and 100% to the publisher. Therefore, when I got airplay in Norway, I got twice the royalties.

Nice, I read something online about 75/25 but didn't really follow it. It had to do with a situation like yours where the songwriter is the publisher.

• Members

If you sign with another publisher other than yourself, they are entitled to a split. If you are a successful songwriter or sell a lot of records, you might get a 50/50 split with the publisher, or even a 60/40 in your favor. If you aren't well known, or have a proven track record, you'll likely get a 75/25 in their favor. Which makes sense, since their job is to shop your songs and get them recorded or placed somewhere that generates income for them (and you). The more they stand to make, the harder they'll work to get it done. You'd still get 100% of writer's royalties and 25% of publishing, so that isn't such a bad deal.

• Members

Hello BlueStrat,

Did you have to open a s-corp r or other business entity specifically for being the publisher? I understand ASCAP dont charge you to register with them as a publisher but when it is time to get paid don't they expect to deal with a publishing company?

Thanks in advance for answering

RaGe

Archived