Guitar keeps going sharp. .

DaveGrima

• Members

Most of the time when my guitars need tuning they are flat. This one is always sharp on every string like the same amount. Its my Carvin with a string through Strat-style hardtail. I've kept it in Eb tuning with 10s for the last couple of years or so. Its only been doing this for maybe the last 6 months. Its got Sperzel locking tuners and it used to stay in tune like a MotherF**ker. Any ideas why its doing this?

• Members

It could be a few things. First thing I'd check and see if the nuts binding.

If the nut was originally cut for .009's it may be binding on the strings.

When you play the guitar, and bend the strings, it tightens up the strings between the nut

and tuning posts. It stays overly tight there because the nut is pinching on the strings.

When you set it down, the tension equalizes making the strings go sharp.

The simple test is, tune the strings to pitch with a tuner, then press the strings down between the nut and tuning posts.

If the strings stay sharp and dont come back to proper pitch, the nuts binding.

Try lubing the nut with graphite grease. Then try it again.

If the strings still dont come back to pitch after a little working, the nut slots may need a little widening (not lowering) with nut files

You can try using an old set of strings drawing them throgh the slots like a file to smooth any burrs and binding. Its usually all you need.

If the nut slots are good, strings will stretch with warmer temps. Try playing the guitar got awhile and warm the strings up with your hands.

Its normal for the strings to go down in pitch a few cents when the strings come up to body temp. Metal expands as it gets hotter.

Lastly, it may be the trus isnt properly set or its overly tight. When you first pick up the guitar, hold the first and last frets down and pluck

the strings around the 5th fret. All strings should just clear all the other frets. The High E string should be the closest.

If you have strings fretting out, the truss may be too tight (or the frets are worn)

Sometimes it just takes a small crack of the nut to relieve

excess neck tension. (I do mean the truss rod nut :facepalm:)

You are tuning down so that means the strings arent putting the same lbs pull on the truss so it may be too tight. Always scribe the truss nut or use a magic marker

line on there so you can adjust it back to where you found it and never adjust it more than 1/8 turn or less at one time, then give it up to a month for the necks wood to completely bow to the tension changes.

• Members

It is only when you pick it up after it's set a while? If so, that's normal.

Just a day or 2. I leave my guitar hanging on my wall and I rotate em a lot. Like Ill play it, put it back on the wall, and the next day Ill grab it again and all the strings are sharp. They dont really go sharp while Im playing tho. I pressed down on the strings behind the nut and the g and b Strings are binding a little bit but not the others. Also, Ive used 10s on this since I bought it over 2 years ago and its only recently been doing this so I dont think its the nut. It might be the truss rod. Ill try loosening it a little and see it its sharp tommorow. ALthough the truss rod is adjusted properly. The neck has just a little relief in it. WHen I fret the first and last frets and pluck the 5th and 7th fret notes they all ring. :idk: Maybe I need to change the strings. .It seems like old strings usually go flat tho dont they?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

i know i'm behind on this one, but i may be able to help.

i had this problem a couple of times with two different basses. i found that when i sunk the pick-ups in a tad, problem gone. the magnets will actually pull the strings sharp if they're too close to the strings. (of course i read about this only after i set up the basses a number of frustrating times.)

• Members

Try putting the guitar in a stand instead of hanging it and see if the problem goes away.

ait may be the weight of the bodies straightening the neck more when its not being played.

Also most guitars will go a little sharp after you been playing them simply

from the change in temp of around 20 degrees between your hands and room temp.

My headless Steinberger stays in really good tune with the double balled strings.

I always have to warm the strings with my hands before tuning.

If I pick it up and tune it first the sttings will go a few cents flat as soon

as the strings warm up to body temp.

Next time you pick the guitar up, try warming the strings up first before tuning.

If the problem improves, you know that might be part of the problem.

Metal expands when its heated and contracts when its cooled.

Not a whole lot but enough to notice.

I used to hate the NE in the winters when it got cold because between that and the dry heat it

was a bitch keeping guitars in shape. I dont notice it as much in the south because its warm most of the year.

Archived