New carbon fiber 12-string

brahmz118

• Members

Ordered two new guitars this year, one in June the other in October. Both were late, and both arrived on exactly the same day! This is a review of my Emerald X10 12-string, in case anyone is interested in hearing about carbon fiber guitars.

I think it's difficult to be objective about a somewhat high-priced guitar that would be inconvient to return, but perhaps some objectivity comes from having lots of data -- and I have been playing this guitar a lot since it arrived. It's the first guitar I've owned that's been noticeably comfortable to hold. It's my first small bodied guitar -- 14.5" lower bout, 25.5" scale length. The nut width is 1-13/16".

The entire body is a single piece of carbon fiber -- the back and sides have a rough texture, while the back of the neck and the top are smooth. There is a bevel which softens the feel of the guitar's bottom edge against your lap, but it's not slippery like some Ovations.

It feels solid. I can feel the one-piece-ness of it. I can pick it up by the neck and swing it around like Maria Sharapova hitting a backhand without worrying about stressing the frame.

The sound is very clear. I would say it's even more distinctively clear than my Rainsong Jumbo, and maybe that's because it's a 12-string and is loaded up with treble strings. Compared to my other 12-string, which is spruce and bubinga, this one seems to ring brighter and sustain longer.

It's hard for me to make tonal descriptions -- it has that jangly growly quality I hear in all 12-strings, but it's simpler and clearer somehow. Maybe a bit colder in tone, but to me it still has a certain beauty to it. Kind of like Superman's Fortress of Solitude is breathtaking but not cozy and warm in the traditional architectural sense.

The tuners are locking Sperzels, which will make stringing a little easier. I think the tuners are heavier than regular ones, and as a result the guitar is headstock-heavy. Which leads to one drawback -- the guitar isn't so strap-friendly in terms of weight balance. The body is so light that the head dives down unless I use my right forearm to stabilize it. I can do this and it's not uncomfortable, I'm just not used to it.

The colored carbon fiber weave looks amazing. I got mine in forest green. There isn't much else in terms of decoration -- no fretboard inlays, no rosette, and just the Emerald dog on the headstock. But that dark shimmering green pattern is just so beautiful in either shadow or light. I know it's not like looking at a fine piece of crafted wood. To me it's more like looking at a sports car.

So I'm happy with the guitar. Durability and playability are top-notch. So it will come with me where other guitars sometimes can't, and it will call to me and ask to be played when other guitars sometimes won't. And that will hopefully lead to more music overall, which is my bottom line.

• Members

Great review. I once played an Adamas and it had that shimmering carbon graphite look but it was natural in color. Interesting to look at and I must admit the tone and projection were anything but Ovation-like.

The Emerald only special-order? How'd you come to know about it?

• Members

I think for the X10 it's actually a custom option to get the natural black carbon fiber color. I already have the natural look in my Rainsong so I thought I'd opt for some green.

Alistair Hay, the owner of Emerald Guitars, sells direct -- no dealers or distributors. So they don't make as many, but the prices are a little lower compared to Rainsong and CA. I was told it would take 2 weeks to build the guitar after I ordered it. It took a little longer, but I didn't mind too much.

I think I stumbled across Emerald Guitars during some internet search for any info on carbon fiber guitars, and / or stainless steel frets on a 12-string.

• Members

I've had a Rainsong WS3000(standard body 12 string) for almost four years and am still impressed by the playability and sound. I did try one of the first Rainsong Jumbo 12's at a NAMM Show around 3 years ago. I found it to be muddy in sound and did not come with a cutaway.

Describe your Emerald a little more- does it have internal braces, adjustable neck, type of electronics.

I'm always looking for something different and unique. Its still a shame that CA Guitars still does not build a 12 string because they have some interesting sound characteristics....bd

• Members

That's interesting that the Rainsong 12 sounded muddy. I have the Jumbo 6-string, and it's clearer than any other jumbo I've played, but arguably a little muddier than my Emerald. Or to use a different term, the Rainsong seems a little warmer.

The Emerald doesn't have any internal braces. Also, there is no truss rod, but the neck doesn't bow (same logic in the Rainsong Classic series). I have not tried plugging it in yet -- it's equipped with a B-Band A7.

I was looking at the WS3000, but the stainless steel frets on the Emerald clinched the deal for me.

• Members

Hey Brahmz,

I was comparing the sound of the Jumbo 12 to my WS3000 sound. The jumbo wasn't as balanced as the 3000, it had a LOT of bass and it sure was LOUD. I think the jumbo was probably better sounding that most wooden 12's but I have to have a cutaway on my 12's.....bd

• 12 years later...
  • Members

Hello Mark. This is a somewhat dated thread. I even see my old moniker and, IIRC, the moniker of the guy who coined "VOM1T" [it wasn't Chris Baker (Stackabones) like many think]. But, bringing it up to date, yea, I'd like a crack at one of the Emeralds (X20) but doubt I will ever do that without buying sight unseen. I've tried the Rainsongs and would be happy to swap out for one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, there's a number of zombie threads floating to the top recently.

(and a few zombie members.. ahem...) :idk:

Comparing a Rainsong jumbo to an Emerald X10 is apples and orangutans.

The X10 is smaller than an OM. A jumbo is larger than an OM; almost a dread but with a tighter waste.

Some Emeralds have truss rods; actually dual action truss rods.

Special Order wait time on Emeralds is 3-4 months.

Archived