Advice ..... Acoustic Bass

T.B.

• Members

Martin(or old Sigma for less $).

Guilds are good to tho. I've owned both, and decided that

I'd just as soon use a P or J bass if I gotta plug it in.

And if you get an acoustic bass guitar YOU WILL HAVE TO PLUG IT IN. They are useless acousticaly for anything other than quiet at home practice.

If you wanna play truly unplugged, then you have to learn upright.

• Members

Originally posted by T.B.

I'm going to learn how to play acoustic bass. Later today, I'm

going to test drive a Guild B30E. Any suggestions or advice on other acoustic basses I should look at? If you play AB, what do you play? Thanks.

Trina

The Guild is great, but also consider the Michael Kelly line...played one yesterday, and it was really nice!

My favorite bassist to gig with (Wendy) has an Applause that has a surprisingly decent sound and is loud enough to compete with my acoustics and Kat's congas, as long as we don't go crazy w/ our volumes.

Also, consider the Tacoma Thunderhawk.

• Members

Thank you gentlemen. I've jotted down all your recommendations, will play them all before I make my decision. I had a chance to play the Guild, she had a really nice sound. The owner was nice of enough to allow me to take her to choir practice and see how she sounds with the sextet I play with. Thanks again.

Trina

• Members

Upright bass is the way to go - if you're prepared for some hard work. As previous posters have noted, acoustic bass guitars tend to be fairly quiet. Acoustic stand up basses are louder, although still need to be amplified in many gigging situations.

I use a Ned Steinberger (N.S.) solid bodied upright. This cost about

• Members

I've never been satisfied with the sound of acoustic bass guitars. But I wouldn't overlook the suggestion about the Applause model. To my ears, the Ovation line of acoustic basses sounded more like basses than any brand I've played. I'd put Tacoma next. I've played the Guild, Sigma, Ovation, Applause and Tacoma. I've never played a Martin.

I think there is something about that carbon body that makes an Ovation sound more 'bassy'.

But...what about the guitarron?

They definitely sound like basses. And they're reasonably priced to boot.

Del_Guitarron_fr___.jpg

• Members

I have the Michael Kelly 5 string fretless Dragonfly and really enjoy playing it. I'm a much better fretted player now that I've been using this thing. Unplugged, there isn't much sound. Plugged in, it sounds pretty good with a lot of sustain. Really prone to feedback, so a soundhole cover is absolutely essential.

Archived