Suggested glue/adhesive for speaker repair?

StratoSlacker

• Members

Howdy,

I have a Celestion Vintage 30 and the dust cap has partially come loose from the cone. Can anyone recommend a glue/adhesive that I should use to repair this?

It seems there are some online shops that sell speaker repair adhesives. Is this the best option or is there something I can get at a local hardware store that will do the same job?

thanks

• Members

I just use plain old wood glue for something like that. Just use a little paint brush and apply it lightly.

Wood glue wookd any place the paper doesnt flex. Ig you had a crack in the surround for example then

You'd want to use silicone so it would flex. The dust cap doesnt flex, it just moves in and out with the

cone so its no biggie. You could use rubber cement or duco but you really dont want to soak through the

paper with that stuff or it can invite the paper to crack later.

• Members

Its a vinyl glue that may crack from vibration or separate from the paper.

The speaker cone is made of paper, a wood product and wood glue is for wood.

Wood glue will last 50 years. I dont know how long the vinyl glue will last so I cant advise you

how long it will last but it dries rock hard and is susceptable to cracking. Wood glue or silicone

remains flexable to some extent so it can take the constant impacys of the speakers piston.

• Members

Gorilla Glue expands. It foams up and expands as it cures, and should only be used in applications where you can clamp the two pieces together.

Use rubber cement or good ol fashioned wood glue. Wood glue is designed to absorb and wick into the fibers of the wood. It will do the same to the paper.

If there is still remnants of glue on the cone or dust cap, you may try scraping off that glue. But that will be a tricky task to attempt.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

There are special rubberized PVA adhesives formulated specifically for dust caps. Regular wood glue will tend to crack under the flexing of the paper cone on a V-30.

I also happen to have a couple of NOS British V-30 recone kits out there if anybody is looking for one. Not a DIY project but the original UK parts are pretty much unobtanium.

• 7 years later...
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, XenoWarrior said:

Hi, 

I have two bass drivers from a tannoy 633, two small wires have detached from the cone near the centre of the cone. It looks like they were attached by some kind of glue. Please help. 

That sounds like a problem. The wires connect to the drivers' voice coils. It's not just a matter of gluing the wires to the cone. There must be an electrical connection to the voice coil. I have no idea how it could be fixed.

Archived