a few questions

Stophe88

• Members

Originally posted by Stophe88

what should i use to clean my fretboard when i'm changing strings?

whats the most durable wood for the top of a guitar? now that i have some christmas money i'm look for a cheap/durable beater

how is everyone?

1) I have some Dunlop-made fretboard cleaner and fretboard conditioner that I really, really like. A little pricier than some of the homemade options but I got it as a gift last year so that's okay with me :D

2) Laminate wood is the most durable. Not NEARLY as in danger of the problems fluctuating humidity can cause. Not as good of a sound as solid wood, but if you're going to take it camping, solid wood can fall apart. No joke, I have a laminate topped Martin Sigma (import) that fell in a lake once (talk about humidity) and its fine as far as I can tell.

3) Oh, I'm okay thanks. Had a very busy Christmas season but was thankful to spend time with my family.

Ellen

• Members

Solid spruce is durable. Laminates can take a lot of abuse and are more weather resistant (although, I prefer the tone of solid wood).

I've been using "lemon oil" wood furniture conditioner / cleaner for years. Formbys is the brand I prefer. A couple of drops on a cotton rag works great. It cleans and conditions a dry roswood or ebony fretboard. I only use it 2 times per year. An 8 ounce bottle will last for years and only cost $5 or less.

You can find it at any home improvement store, hardware store and most department stores like Wal-Mart.

6112676.jpg

• Members

I don't use anything. I usually change strings one at a time so it's not really practical. Perhaps I'm missing something? I've used gun stock oil on a couple of mostly older guitars (30 years or so) and to improve the appearance of my Alvarez RD10 beater but I don't recommend it for frequent use.

As for top materials, Cripes and Hudman are correct, AFAIK. If you're really concerned, I suppose you could try finding an old Applause (Ovation's cheap cousin). Some of those had tops made of fiberglass, IIRC. :eek:

Oh, and I'm fine. How was your New Year's Eve?

• Members

Suppose I should've read the open threads before posting mine...

So lemon oil is a good cleaner/conditioner for ebony as well?

I got some Dunlop Formula 65 Lemon Oil Fretboard Clener/Conditioner and have been reluctant to use it on my 814ce until I heard some trusted forumites give the OK...

;)

• Members

Originally posted by zb0430

Suppose I should've read the open threads before posting mine...

So lemon oil is a good cleaner/conditioner for ebony as well?

I got some Dunlop Formula 65 Lemon Oil Fretboard Clener/Conditioner and have been reluctant to use it on my 814ce until I heard some trusted forumites give the OK...

;)

http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Articles/Articles/fbrd%20oil.html

Archived