Give me some DADGAD songs....

Hudman

• Members

I've never been a big fan of alternate tunings. I heard Tree Top Flyer by Stephen Stills and I had to learn it. It's tuned in DADGAD.

Here's the live version of Tree Top Flyer for those of you that are not familiar with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QOeTudb0E8

I play it a bit different....

The only other tune I play in that tuning is Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.

I'm really loving DADGAD.

I would appreciate any other song suggestions.....

Give me some more tunes fellas......

• Members

County Down by Phil Keaggy is a pretty good song,and is featured on his acoustic guitar instruction video.I also haven't tried to play it yet either.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm unfamiliar with his work, but I will check it out.

• Members

i don't mess with alternate tunings much either... i'm gonan watch this thread intently.

what i generally don't like about DADGAD is that i start playing around in it, and i can only make like three sounds. just a bunch of open sounding chords and i get bored and go back to standard or double drop d.

• Members

i don't mess with alternate tunings much either... i'm gonan watch this thread intently.

what i generally don't like about DADGAD is that i start playing around in it, and i can only make like three sounds. just a bunch of open sounding chords and i get bored and go back to standard or double drop d.

I feel the same way....

I tuned to DADGAD 2 days ago. This the longest I ever stayed out of standard tuning. I spent some time on Tree Top Flyer and I brushed the rust off Kashmir. I spent the rest of the time messing around with different chords. The change in tuning is getting my creative juices flowing a bit. I'm finding all kinds of intersting voicings and melodies. I guess it's forcing me out of my standard tuning comfort zone. I'm going to stick with it for a while.

• Members

If you're up for a fingerstyle challenge, check out Pierre Bensusan's column in Fingerstyle Guitar magazine. He pretty much lives in DADGAD. He also has a couple tabs available for download on his website:

http://www.pierrebensusan.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

Laurence Juber also has a lot of songs in DADGAD too, I believe.

http://www.laurencejuber.com/music/tabindex.html

• Members

For me EADGBE is an alternate tuning - I spend most of my time in open this or open that. Ironically DADGAD is one tuning that I've never worked with. It is commonly associated with Celtic music. Along with Bensusan, I know that John Renbourn played a lot in it - you might find some of his instructional stuff at Grossman's site.

• Members

I've never been a big fan of alternate tunings. I heard Tree Top Flyer by Stephen Stills and I had to learn it. It's tuned in DADGAD.

Here's the live version of Tree Top Flyer for those of you that are not familiar with it:

I play it a bit different....

The only other tune I play in that tuning is Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.

I'm really loving DADGAD.

I would appreciate any other song suggestions.....

Give me some more tunes fellas......

"Nice Feeling" -Pierre Bensusan

Anything from his "Intuite"

• Members

For me EADGBE is an alternate tuning
- I spend most of my time in open this or open that. Ironically DADGAD is one tuning that I've never worked with. It is commonly associated with Celtic music. Along with Bensusan, I know that John Renbourn played a lot in it - you might find some of his instructional stuff at Grossman's site.

John Renbourn is the featured artist in this months AG. He talks about DADGAD a bit in the article. I don't have it in front of me, but I think he credits Davey Graham with inventing it, or atleast showing it to him. The term "invent" might be a bit of a stretch, since guitars have been around for eons. This is back in the days when John was in Pentangle with Bert Jansch, so you might find some use of it in their stuff. And no, I don't remember much from those days, I just happen read the article last week.:)

• Members

http://www.ezfolk.com/guitar/Tutorials/Chords/dadgad/dadgad.html

just came into this while looking for more songs for you. Phil Keaggy is one of the best guitar artists I know of. I have sheet music and tab for county down if you are interested - PM me. I had choice seating through someone recently .... turned it down. Still kicking myself!

there is some YouTube of him.

His Christian faith turns folks off.

But most amazing this guy has no middle finger RH

Archived