Clear coat over fabric as finish?

I-like2play

• Members

Hi guys, I'm working on a project tele and i just had this idea for a finish. I noticed on my buddies Ibanez Jem Floral that the pattern is a fabric on the guitar that was clear coated over. I'm thinking i'd like to do this on my tele and also on the face of my amp so they match. Anybody have a good idea of how to go about doing this. What adhesive to use between the wood and fabric? What to use for clear coat?

• Members

To coat over any type of fabric would require a very thick coat. I've never seen a guitar done like this so if Ibanez has a way of doing this without spraying a 1/4" thick coat of clear, I wouldn't know where to begin. Is it actually fabric or a graphic that looks like fabric?.

Attaching the fabric to the body could probably be done with any spray adhesive. I could see this turning into a huge mess. If you pull this off, post some pics and your procedure. TW

• Members

My first thought would be a clear epoxy resin. Just do it like laying fiberglass in a mold. Put on a thick coat of epoxy on the wood, lay the cloth on it, and then put a good thick layer of resin again over the top of it. You'd want it thick enough to sand and buff without sanding down into the fabric. And probably want to try it on some scrap wood first.

• Members

I knew this reminded me of tsomething, I had to search ::

It is based on the classic Talman models that Noodles of The Offspring has played since 1993. Its basswood body is hand wrapped in duct tape and finished in high-gloss poly, so each guitar is individually unique.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-NDM1-Noodles-Signature-Guitar?sku=519724

• Members

Here's two I did.

DSCN0848.jpg

Unfinished:

DSCN1272.jpg

Teles are best for beginners. It's actually a very pleasant finishing process, quite easy and not as pesky as rattle cans.

I made a big thread about one of these projects on here. The project guitar tutorial covers the basics. A guy on the Electric forum here saw the thread and made his own Tele/Thinline using the same idea.

The guitars above are shine-ier in real life.

For adhesive PVA glue works fine. Some people use "Decoupage paste".

For clearcoat it actually depends on your country/where you live, and perhaps if you have done it before.

Acrylic (1-pac) works ok. Car spray paint basically.

Any durable coat, like urethane or acyrlic clear coats, I would recommend. Not too sure about Nitro.

If you need any more tips just ask.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The fiberglass resin idea that AverageJoe had would work well. The stuff you can buy at an auto parts house has a slight greenish tint to it though. You can find clear resin elsewhere.

Saturate the cloth, put a layer on the guitar (mask off anything you don't want messy) and use a brush to work out all air bubbles. Then, like Joe said, put a thick enough layer of resin on top so that it can be sanded and buffed without scuffing the fabric.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You rule!

I really don't like Tele's, but that black one you did just might convert me (of course, they still sound terrible:poke:)

How in the world did you apply the fabric and keep the binding perfect?

Hi goosefartfan :D

Well I did it all backwards and would probably not do it the same way again.

What I did was apply fabric to unrouted front, and then we (me + friend) used a router fitted with a tip from stewmac's calibrated binding tip selection, (you can pick from specific width of channels etc). Then I glued binding with superglue of all things (do not recommend at all!). Then I blasted with a whole lot of clear coat from a can, probably did not spray enough.

• Members

Might want to consider vacuum bagging if it's a solid body. Suck all the air out. Probably not a good idea for a semi-hollow as it's 14lbs per square inch.

It might be worth looking at having a print shop or Kinko's print a design to plastic film and laminating that on.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Helllo, i just wanna take the ride on this topic because i am actually doing the same thing over my snare drum ( covering with a very nice thin fabric ). And i have some issues which clear coat ( gloss to use it. ) I tried a few different brands and supposed to be the best ones out there, and none of then drys 100 %...it kind soft dry. Not to soft though, but soft enough to be scratch with a finger nail, even though you got to press kind of hard but it does scratch it ..So, i wanna join your topic over here to find out something that can solve the problem..I have checked with lots of professionals such as home depot, Osh, and idustrial workers and nobody has a clear answer about it. the best sugestion was some kind o resign which is not that great because the drum is a round surface and it would hard to get a really good artistic finishing with a paint brush ( better with spray )..And o top of that, it can't be that thick because i need a thin area for the drumhead to fit and get in tune..Anwyay, if you find some kind of clue please would you mind sharing with me?

thanks

SANDRO FELICIANO

sandrofeliciano.com

nogueiradrums@hotmail.com

• Members

Helllo, i just wanna take the ride on this topic because i am actually doing the same thing over my snare drum ( covering with a very nice thin fabric ). And i have some issues which clear coat ( gloss to use it. ) I tried a few different brands and supposed to be the best ones out there, and none of then drys 100 %...it kind soft dry. Not to soft though, but soft enough to be scratch with a finger nail, even though you got to press kind of hard but it does scratch it ..So, i wanna join your topic over here to find out something that can solve the problem..I have checked with lots of professionals such as home depot, Osh, and idustrial workers and nobody has a clear answer about it. the best sugestion was some kind o resign which is not that great because the drum is a round surface and it would hard to get a really good artistic finishing with a paint brush ( better with spray )..And o top of that, it can't be that thick because i need a thin area for the drumhead to fit and get in tune..Anyway, i very much appreciate if you could give some kind of clue about which clear coat to use that dry hard..Please would you mind sharing with me?

thanks

SANDRO FELICIANO

sandrofeliciano.com

nogueiradrums@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just finished my first fabric finish, but I've also done a paper finish in the past too.

guitar back.jpg

body angle.jpg

I used Sanding sealer to glue on the fabric. Just sized it, soaked it in and plopped it on. The thing is, you need to pick a sanding sealer that will dry hard. The one I used is not as firm as I wish it could be. Then no matter how many layers of lacquer or poly you put on, it will still be soft. Next time, and there will be a next time, I'll be using weldbond watered down about 60\% to 40\% water. Stay away from the recommended modge podge. it is not good, and never gets hard enough and sands terribly - and if you want to undertake a fabric finish, you will do a LOT Of level sanding.  You can see more in my DIY thread here... Area 52

Archived