Simon & Patrick 6 CW Cedar ? (opinions)

prosonic

• Members

I just picked up a Simon & Patrick 6 CW Cedar with B-Band electronics and a TRIC case.

I had never played a Simon & Patrick before but it played and sounded great. I have since played it plugged in and the B-Band sounds excellent.

I also have a Seagull Artist Series Mahogony/Spruce CW with L.R. Baggs Ribbon Transducer & electronics that I love which I got from the same dealer 3 years ago.

I understand that like Seagull, Simon & Patrick is also made by Godin.

Just wondering if anyone has any expierence with them.

• Members

I have played them many times and think they are an exceptional value for the money.

Very delicate, complex, tonal, balance. Rich and lush to listen to.

Regardless of the cost they are respectable, enjoyable, guitars.

Cedar does not project at high volumes like Spruce.....but it is very satisfying.

If I could only own more guitars....that one would make my list too.:thu:

• Members

Harmonycat: Cedar does not project at high volumes like Spruce.....but it is very satisfying.

Yeah, the S&P is not quite as loud / doesn't project as much as the Seagull, but it sounds great.

I like the thinner neck which contrasts favorably with the Seagull's thicker neck

tim Mcknight: I have a friend who sells the S&P guitars. He thinks they are one of the best values produced by the Godin company.

I paid $600 for the guitar and with the B-Band electronics and TRIC case I feel I would have a hard time doing better for the $$, although I did get the Artist Series Seagull for a steal at $500 w/electronics & case (one of the sides had been damaged in shipping and the dealer, a very respected luthier repaired it and sold at a discount)

• Members

I have a S & P cutaway that I bought about 7 or 8 yrs ago. I originally went to a shop to look at Seagulls. I wanted to buy one made of all solid woods but Seagull didnt offer one and the owner suggested the S & P.

Mine has a spruce top and rosewood back and sides. Its neck is is little thinner which makes it better for me when I pick up an electric. It is really well made and in my opinion sounds damn good. I think I paid around $700 or so, for all solid wood that aint too bad.

Hope your enjoying yours.

Hey Stophe88, check out one with rosewood back and sides, my guitar has very strong bass. Dont know how much the solid wood adds to it.

• Members

I have an S&P Cedar 6 string I got about 10 years ago and the guitar has been wonderful. Its a satin finish (which means its easy to scuff) but the instrument projects and resonates very very nicely. Whenever I go into instrument shops and try other acoustics, many several times the price of the S&P, am very disappointed and if anything were to happen to my S&P I would probably get the same model, even if I could afford something 3-4x times the price.

I also just bought a Godin xtSA (electric) and am very pleased with it.

• Members

One note of caution about the CW6 (and similar Seagulls) - the finish is extremely thin and prone to dings. This is not a "throw it in the back of the car and take it to the beach" guitar. You need to take care of it (unless, of course you want it to soon become a beater guitar - as has happened to my Tacoma EM9 which has a similar finish.)

Other than that, they are great guitars, and I really like cedar tops for fingerpickin'

• Members

I owned a S&P Spruce top pro model also. Sold it though.

Was very well made and solid, the body a little small for my liking, very plain looking and I really had to strain to hear the quality sound that I was looking for. It was the best guitar I could afford at the time. I think it cost CAD700.00 or thereabouts.I have just purchased Guild GAD 40 C and this guitar has the oomph I was looking for. Real nice looking cut away, MOP inlays, solid spruce top, solid hog back and sides got a real great sound, bold with feeling. it just sings. Goes for about USD650.00 I think case included. Gives me more of what I want than the S&P did, however we all have our own tastes right.

The Guild GAD series is worth checking out though of you're in the market.

Benee Wafers

• Members

Amazing guitars! I personally own a Taylor 110 and ended up buying a S&P for my girlfriend for christmas. I actually prefer the S&P.

It's a wonderful guitar, and it's exceptional for the price. I paid 300$ Canadian at long and mcquade!

They sound great!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by prosonic

I just picked up a Simon & Patrick 6 CW Cedar with B-Band electronics and a TRIC case.

I had never played a Simon & Patrick before but it played and sounded great. I have since played it plugged in and the B-Band sounds excellent.

I also have a Seagull Artist Series Mahogony/Spruce CW with L.R. Baggs Ribbon Transducer & electronics that I love which I got from the same dealer 3 years ago.

I understand that like Seagull, Simon & Patrick is also made by Godin.

Just wondering if anyone has any expierence with them.

yes, these are all under the LaSiDo distribution Godin, S&P, Norman, Seagull, Art and Lutherie. All made in Quebec. Great guitars at very good prices IMO.

• Members

got mine 6 years ago with cedar on top.

Very confortable neck which feels great when I jump on electric .

The sound is now better that when I purshased it years ago.

It took some bump :mad: you have to be vert carefull especially with cedar but sound great .

Acoustic is an absolute best value .

Plugged I am always disapointed think I gonna chage the pieezo and preamp.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I would like to know if there is a difference between the SP6 models, other than the CW having the cutaway? What is the price and sound difference between the C6 / SP6? Is there a different feel on them? Are they all solid wood or laminate?

I would like to go with this one, but it's more expensive than some 'simple' SP6 in this area:

c187_1.JPG

• Members

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I would like to know if there is a difference between the SP6 models, other than the CW having the cutaway? What is the price and sound difference between the C6 / SP6? Is there a different feel on them? Are they all solid wood or laminate?

I would like to go with this one, but it's more expensive than some 'simple' SP6 in this area:

c187_1.JPG

That is exactly like my guitar. I love it. But, I don't really see any advantage to the cutaway, i just got a good deal on mine used. The only difference is the cutaway. Oh, I think it is all solid wood...the top certainly is. I love the cedar. I would probaly save the cash next time and get the standard model. I don't notice any difference in the sound...but I'm kinda deaf.

• Members

I have a Norman B-32 (another Godin line) that I bought used from a forum member (haven't seen her around lately). It's a pretty nice guitar for the money. Ironically, I just got it out last night (hadn't played it much since I got it) and restrung it. When I restring my guitars I usually check the neck relief and action at the body fret and then update a log I keep; that way I can keep the guitar playing the same way as when I got it. Well, this was my first string change on this one, and I was shocked when I measured. String height at the body fret for he low E was under just under 5/64", and for the high E it was 4/64". Relief at the 7th fret was just .005. And it plays buzz-free. Talk about electric guitar action! I think it's short-scale to boot (I need to measure it, but I think it's 24.75"). The whole combination makes it the easiest playing acoustic I've ever owned (thanks Rada!). It's not the tonal equivalent of some others I have, but it's darn good.

Archived