My Yamaha FG 413S Review

Hudman

• Members

Unfortunately, I was forced to sell off my guitars over the past 2 months in order to cover some serious expenses. I am down to one guitar: A used Yamaha FG 413S SDB I bought on Ebay for $125.00 a couple weeks ago.

It is a dread with a solid spruce top, laminate nato sides & back, nato neck, rosewood fretboard and rosewood bridge. The stock Yamaha tuners appear to be made by Schaller. They feel solid and hold tune well.

The guitar is apprx. 5 years old. I am pretty sure it is an early version of the current FG 720S. It is in very good condition. In fact, I get the feeling that it spent most of it's days locked away in it's chipboard case. I don't think it ever seen any serious playing time. The frets have zero signs of wear and there were only a few faint pick marks on the pickguard. Most of the faint signs of wear in the poly finish are in the areas it rubbed against while in the chipboard case (the case is a bit too big for the guitar). It also shows no signs of low humidity exposure.

I had to clean it up and tweak the set up a bit to get it were I like it. I installed a set of D'Addario EXP PB's. It sounds good despite the coated strings (;) ). It has good bass response with a nice jangly bright tone on big open chords. It has good volume and sustain too. It is more "Taylor-like" than "Martin-like" in tone. I feel like I got a great deal.

Earlier this afternoon I got together with my regular playing partner and another guy I never played with before for an informal jam session. I am happy to report that the Yamaha was a hit with both guys. They thought it had strong bass response and excellent volume. They also said I was a "lucky bastard" to get it for $125.00.

We spent 2 1/2 hours playing music by Jack Johnson, Neil Young, Cat Stevens, Bob Marley, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Beatles, John Mayer, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Randy Travis, Led Zeppelin, White Stripes, Ben Harper and many others.

We played inside an industrial truck garage. Roughly an acre worth of concrete and a high metal ceiling combined to create an awesome natural reverb effect. Good times.

When my money situation improves I will buy a smaller bodied guitar with a cutaway better suited for fingerstyle playing. That will give me a good flat picking guitar and a great fingerstyle guitar. :thu:

Here is a quick picture of the Yamaha:

Yammie1.jpg

• Members

Well you know, I'm partial to Yam's Hud. That's a handsome guitar, a $125.00 bucks, you lucky dog. I betcha got one of those, "I wanted to learn how to play guitar but..........". Thank goodness for those folks. :)

Trina

• Members

Well you know, I'm partial to Yam's Hud. That's a handsome guitar, a $125.00 bucks, you lucky dog. I betcha got one of those, "I wanted to learn how to play guitars but..........". Thank goodness for those folks.
:)

Trina

Thanks Trina.

That's exactly what I thought when I opened the case. It looked like the original strings were still on it. After I cleaned it up and changed strings I noticed that the soundboard was getting a bit dusty. The dust was flying out of the soundhole everytime I hit a big chord. :lol: I laughed my butt off when I realized that was where the dust was coming from.

I'm happy to report that it is now dust free. :thu:

• Members

Way to go Hud!!!!

Didn't you have a masterbilt?

Jim

- I forget how long that it has been since I have had a guitar, at least a month

Yes, I owned a Masterbilt DR-500R. It was sold with numerous other guitars I owned over the past few years.

Unfortunately, I have had a pretty tough stretch over the past 18 months or so. I am working fewer hours at work and dealing with home repairs, vehicle expenses, my children's activities (sports, dance, music, ice skating, etc) and a baby on the way (furniture and a ton of baby gear).

I look at it this way: I love playing guitar. I will always own at least one guitar. With that being said, guitar is my favorite hobby. My wife and kids are my life. It doesn't bother me a bit to sacrifice a few nice guitars from time to time. Besides, I love getting new / used guitars. I hope to own a nice Martin or Taylor guitar sometime in the future. In the mean time, I have to think about college (for 3 kids). ;)

• Members

That is why I stick to budget guitars, hey I would love to have A taylor, but I find Alvarez a good economy guitar and I have had some tight financial times too which is why I have been without one, A workable RD20 is great for me!!!

Jim

• Members

I look at it this way: I love playing guitar. I will always own at least one guitar. With that being said, guitar is my favorite hobby. My wife and kids are my life. It doesn't bother me a bit to sacrifice a few nice guitars from time to time. Besides, I love getting new / used guitars.

Couldnt have said it any better. Good Luck with the baby. I just had my first on 3/21/07 "Harmony Jean and couldnt be happier.":cool:

• Members

Yes, I owned a Masterbilt DR-500R. It was sold with numerous other guitars I owned over the past few years.

Unfortunately, I have had a pretty tough stretch over the past 18 months or so. I am working fewer hours at work and dealing with home repairs, vehicle expenses, my children's activities (sports, dance, music, ice skating, etc) and a baby on the way (furniture and a ton of baby gear).

I look at it this way: I love playing guitar. I will always own at least one guitar. With that being said, guitar is my favorite hobby. My wife and kids are my life. It doesn't bother me a bit to sacrifice a few nice guitars from time to time. Besides, I love getting new / used guitars. I hope to own a nice Martin or Taylor guitar sometime in the future. In the mean time, I have to think about college (for 3 kids).
;)

No better reason to own a guitar only:wave:

• Members

I respect your ability to recognize what is really important. That said, it is a nice looking guitar and based on my own experience with Yamahas I know that it is well-built and comfortable to play. Your friends' feedback that it sounds good is no surprise either. I'll bet that given what you paid for it you won't get rid of it even when you are back in the guitar-buying swing of things. Enjoy!

• Members

Sorry to hear you had to part with so many nice gits but this one looks like it should serve you well till things improve.You mentioned getting a nice smaller bodied cutaway better suited to fingerstyle down the road.When that time comes I'd urge you to try the Masterbilt EF500RCCE.It sounds and plays beautifully.Congrats on the incoming mini Hud!When's the tracking number say he/she's due for delivery :) ?

• Members

Sorry to hear you had to part with so many nice gits but this one looks like it should serve you well till things improve.You mentioned getting a nice smaller bodied cutaway better suited to fingerstyle down the road.When that time comes I'd urge you to try the Masterbilt EF500RCCE.It sounds and plays beautifully.Congrats on the incoming mini Hud!When's the tracking number say he/she's due for delivery
:)
?

Thanks! He is scheduled to be delivered via C-section on June 22.

I always enjoy playing a dread, but I'm going to miss owning a small body after owning a Larrivee OM-03 and a Guild GAD 30R. The Epiphone EF-500 is a very nice guitar. I also like the Parkwood (PW320?). I'm going to give Taylor, Martin and Breedlove a serious look next time around when my money situation is better. I played a Taylor 412 and a 414 that gave me GAS a few months back. I also played a few Breedloves that really surprised me. I love the small body Martins (I just don't love the price). Of course, Larrivee will always get consideration as well. I will have plenty of time to think about it.

I really liked the tone of the GAD 30R, but the neck was a tad thicker than I prefer. I had trouble wrapping my thumb over the low E string. My Larrivee OM-03 was much easier to play due to it's low profile neck. Whatever I buy will have a more tapered / low profile neck (maybe even a 1 11/16" nut). I'm enjoying wrapping my thumb over the top on my Yamaha.

Archived