Low end Taylor guitar

heymelbs

• Members

That would be the Taylor 110.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-110-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514963

They get great reviews. They have a solid top and laminate sides and back. I played a couple. Nice construction and a nice bright tone (like you described). I prefer more bass out of a dred.

There are several guitars in the same price range featuring all solid wood construction (Parkwood, Epiphone Masterbilt and Guild GAD Series).

• Members

I find the lower end Taylor guitars to be hit & miss tonewise. All of them seem to be constructed well with the possible exception of a few of the Big Babies. I have a Big Baby and it sounds pretty good for what it is, although I had to play three or four in the store until I found one that sounded decent to me. Unfortunately the darn thing is the most fickle acoustic guitar I've ever had when it comes to humidity. It's always an uphill battle during a typical Minnesota winter, but this poor guitar gave up the fight long ago.

Anyway, I was at my local guitar center (which actually keeps its acoustic room properly humidified believe it or no) and played two Taylors, another Big Baby and a 110. The Big Baby sounded nice but the 110 blew me away. I was really impressed by the sound I got out of that guitar. If I had the cash to blow (and more importantly had room for another guitar) I would've bought it. I tend to prefer the deeper, bass-y sound of a Martin to the bright tone of a Taylor, but this one was sweet.

• Members

Personally, I wouldn't consider a Taylor below the 300 series. The feel and quality of the necks are so much better IMO. The tonewoods and finish are also higher in quality. I've seen a few instances where you could find them for less than $1000 and GC's end-of-year clearance sales (with sharp fret ends though) and have seen them go on ebay for used in that price neighborhood too.

• Members

Bob Taylor makes a big fuss about trying to bring the "Taylor sound and playability" to budget minded players with the 100 and 200 series. For 2006 the 100's were laminated b&s, 200's solid Sapelle - the last Wood and Steel indicated that they would both be lam in the future. Of course they are built over the board to the south and the ES is not the same. I also remember that the necks were 1/16 narrower that 300 and up.

I've never played a 100 but the couple of 210's were nice playable guitars.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Having played virtually every guitar under $2000 in the past month, it seems to me that in the low end Martins and Taylors you are spending a lot of your money on the name.

If you love it then buy it; but there are a lot of good solid guitars out there, Guilds and Epi's especially, that may give you more for your money. The whole Guild GAD series is really worth looking at.

• Members

Having played virtually every guitar under $2000 in the past month, it seems to me that in the low end Martins and Taylors you are spending a lot of your money on the name.

If you love it then buy it; but there are a lot of good solid guitars out there, Guilds and Epi's especially, that may give you more for your money. The whole Guild GAD series is really worth looking at.

Absolute agreement...for what a 100- or 200-series Taylor goes for, there's a lot of equally great (and some superior) guitars to consider!

From the 300-series on up, they really start getting good, though!

• Members

That would be the Taylor 110.

There are several guitars in the same price range featuring all solid wood construction (Parkwood, Epiphone Masterbilt and Guild GAD Series).

I've also heard good things about the Guild GAD series so you might want to check it out.

• Members

I am not a big fan of Taylors. I think they are overpriced. The 100s and 200s can sound pretty good but not every one. I also think the materials and finish make them look cheap. Go for a Guild GAD or Martin M series.

• Members

I've always thought the 314 was a great all around guitar at a great price:thu:

I have a 314 and agree with this statement. At the time my wife bought it for me they were around 750 used without the CE. I'm not sure I would spring for a new one, however, without at least looking at the new 214's (which I frankly haven't).

Archived