Terry Allan Hall Banned

Stackabones

• Members
I avoid the political forum. This thread proves how stupid it gets over there. It is bleeding into the acoustic forum. I hope HC wises up and gets rid of it.

I'm surprised there are regulars of that forum. And OJ too. Both are very... explosive. :evil:

But I think they should keep them because its like the Jerry Springer show: sometimes you just sit back and watch (perfect smiley for this: :snax:) because it can get exciting.

Ellen

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I post in the political party all the time.

All you acoustic guitar types are good peeps. As the type of people who really don't LIKE what you see at political party - you are exactly the type of people who are NEEDED at the political party.

I'd be a hell of a lot more interested in reading what real musicians think about politics than what a bunch of bigoted little heavy metal wannabe kids think.

I'd like to invite you all to post regularly at political party. You'd elevate the level of discussion a great deal.

• Members

By the way - has anyone ever heard of a "Galaxia" guitar? I got one about 15 years ago - nice inlay work - could use a little work on intonation - but nice resonant tone, too. Someone told me they think it's a Mexican luthier's work.

• Members

By the way - has anyone ever heard of a "Galaxia" guitar? I got one about 15 years ago - nice inlay work - could use a little work on intonation - but nice resonant tone, too. Someone told me they think it's a Mexican luthier's work.

I never heard of that brand before. A decent guitar tech can adjust the intonation by reworking / shaping the saddle and or nut.

:thu:

• Members

All you acoustic guitar types are good peeps. As the type of people who really don't LIKE wat you see at politicalparty - yo are exactly the ype of people who are NEEDED at the political party.

I'd be a hell of a lot more interested in reading what real musicians think about politics than what a bunch of bigoted little heavy metal wnnabe kids think.

I'd like to invite you all to post regularly at political party. You' elevate the level of discussion a great deal.

I often haunt the debate sections in other forums. I've been in many productive and informative discussions about politics and religion. I had a look here and decided against participating. The "discussion" generally hovers around the junior high school level. It's not worth my time unless the mods are willing to try to keep it at least minimally civil.

• Members

The political forum is a pit. I sort of pity the mods.

One might consider it an honor to be banned from there.

Arguing with musicians about politics is a pretty unproductive way to spend one's time. I myself, am in self-imposed exile from that place.

This forum and the Keys, Synths &Samplers have some really good players who have useful information to offer. I can't say the same for the Political Forum.

TAH probably has more useful and profitable things to do

than arguing with musicians about politics.

I know I do.

• Members

Maybe I'm missing something in all this, but...

Why does a site devoted to all things music even need a political forum? Seems like it's something doomed from the start to engender dissension. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with arguing over politics, I just don't see how it has its place here...in any section.

Terry's sig is a bit over the top, as are quite a few others...in either direction. Unfortunately, both are indicative of the polarization of this country in the past few decades. Having lived through the anti-Vietnam polarization of the '60s, I think what we have today is even worse - perhaps brought on by the very ease of expression found in the political forum and elsewhere.

Just kinda makes me think of Carole King:

"You can't talk to a man
With a shotgun in his hand"

Now I think I'll get back to music....

• Members

Maybe I'm missing something in all this, but...

Why does a site devoted to all things music even
need
a political forum? Seems like it's something doomed from the start to engender dissension. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with arguing over politics, I just don't see how it has its place here...in any section.

Terry's sig is a bit over the top, as are quite a few others...in either direction. Unfortunately, both are indicative of the polarization of this country in the past few decades. Having lived through the anti-Vietnam polarization of the '60s, I think what we have today is even worse - perhaps brought on by the very ease of expression found in the political forum and elsewhere.

Just kinda makes me think of Carole King:

"You can't talk to a man

With a shotgun in his hand"

Now I think I'll get back to music....

I agree. Here's my opinion on the topic:

Some artists insist on making political statements in their music. I don't have a problem with that and see no reason to use that as an excuse to have a "Political Party" forum on a website dedicated to music. Drugs and sex are topics in many songs. I do not see forums dedicated to those topics.The bottom line is there are forums dedicated to debating politics.

If the folks here were serious about their politics, they would seek out those forums. Debating politics at Harmony Central is like buying a hamburger from a gas station. Go to a restaraunt if you want a hamburger. Go to a dedicated political website if you want to debate politics.

Heck, guitar players fight enough already over string brands, guitar brands, amps, effects, maintanence techniques, etc, etc.

With that said, I am very active in politics in the "real world". However, I prefer to debate "face to face". It makes for a much more civil and constructive debate. Name calling and ignorant stereotyping would get your butt kicked in the real world.

• Members

I agree. Here's my opinion on the topic:

Some artists insist on making political statements in their music. I don't have a problem with that and see no reason to use that as an excuse to have a "Political Party" forum on a website dedicated to music. Drugs and sex are topics in many songs. I do not see forums dedicated to those topics.The bottom line is there are forums dedicated to debating politics.

If the folks here were serious about their politics, they would seek out those forums. Debating politics at Harmony Central is like buying a hamburger from a gas station. Go to a restaraunt if you want a hamburger. Go to a dedicated political website if you want to debate politics.

Heck, guitar players fight enough already over string brands, guitar brands, amps, effects, maintanence techniques, etc, etc.

With that said, I am very active in politics in the "real world". However, I prefer to debate "face to face". It makes for a much more civil and constructive debate. Name calling and ignorant stereotyping would get your butt kicked in the real world.

Well said, sir! I will add that I too am very concerned with political issues- just not here.

• Members

I NEVER go to the political forum, nor open jam. I feel that there are some very valid opinions and well argued points on the vagaries of guitar design, construction, and playing in the AG and EG forums, so that is where I hang out. OTOH, discussing politics with musicians is akin to discussing 14th century gothic architecture with politicians... Life is too short!

I only hope that Terry does not quit THIS forum out of disgust for the whole HC community. That would be a terrible thing...

• Members

Why does a site devoted to all things music even
need
a political forum?

Having lived through this debate on other forums, let me try to respond.

Political discussions will occur naturally i any forum. That's just what people do. We're political animals, we have political views and we express them. Many times we express them without even realizing it. There's no clear and distinct boundary between the political and the non-political. (Consider recent discussions regarding the scarcity of tonewoods or the advisability of buying chinese-made guitars.) One person's obvious fact is another's political controversy.

These discussion WILL occur. There are two ways of dealing with it. One is to ban them, the other is to corral them. If you ban them, then the mods have to keep constant vigilance over the forums and squelch anything that approaches politics. It's a time consuming and thankless job. No matter how fair and impartial they actually are, they'll be accused of favoritism and of just squashing one side of the debate. If you create a specific area for them, then most people who want to talk politics will hang out there, and there will be a lot less policing to do. You'll still have to deal with whining and accusations of partisanship, but at least it takes a lot less time and effort to deal with.

• Members

[quote name=Hudman;22366949
If the folks here were serious about their politics' date=' they would seek out those forums. Debating politics at Harmony Central is like buying a hamburger from a gas station. Go to a restaraunt if you want a hamburger. Go to a dedicated political website if you want to debate politics.

If the people who frequent the political forum were to attend the real political groups they'd get likely their asses kicked from people who have little else to do than get involved in what ever political agenda they lean toward. Though most musicians will have a political bent in one way or another few have the time to really research what any given political slate is really about, let alone the others so really can't give a really intelligent, well thought out opinion.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Members

If the people who frequent the political forum were to attend the real political groups they'd get likely their asses kicked from people who have little else to do than get involved in what ever political agenda they lean toward. Though most musicians will have a political bent in one way or another few have the time to really research what any given political slate is really about, let alone the others so really can't give a really intelligent, well thought out opinion.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

OK, so what you are saying is I have nothing better to do with my time because I am active in politics?

Explain to me how these "busy musicians" have time to pile up 15,000+ posts in less than a year (most in the PP forum) if they are too busy being musicians?

"Too busy" is everyone's excuse. Musicians are not unique.

• Members

Though most musicians will have a political bent in one way or another few have the time to really research what any given political slate is really about, let alone the others so really can't give a really intelligent, well thought out opinion.

Well, that certainly is an illustration of a musician being unable to offer "a really intelligent, well thought out opinion," all right.

• Members

I am sorry to see this type of thing happen on a discussion forum about music. I may have noticed a couple of political nuances in Terry's posts since I've been a member (not quite a year), but certainly his informed and positive contributions to the forum remain uncontestable.

Let's hope for a speedy resolution.

• Members
I've occasionally posted in the Political forum, but haven't even lurked there in quite some time --- frankly, it got boring. Those guys argue over the same topics day after day after day...........
:bor:

+1

• Members

Personnally Ive never had a problem with Terry Allen Hall , ive always found him personable , honest and an all round good egg - Ive not always agree with everything he says but ive always respected him and i feel the feeling is mutual --- ive alwys like Harmony Central, gotten some good deals from MF - but in this case i feel this is not fair - banning Terry

• Members

Well..........I think he has a funny hat. There, I said it...and I won't take it back. Seriously, I come from several different sites with different hobbies discussed. On EVERY site, without fail, people end up being banned for transgressions that may or may not be worthy. I always wonder why the mods get into the slinging of barbs back and forth, and then ban someone. If I was a mod, I'd just type 'We don't want to go THERE', and close it. There are always obnoxious people willing to go on a moment's notice. I just drop out of the site, PM 'em if I want to tell 'em what I think. If the site has too many posteriors with heads in 'em, I just visit sporadically to maintain membership. I can't tell you how sad it makes me to see HC's acoustic forum being fouled by this discussion. I thought I had found Utopia. I have enjoyed the benefit of many posts here and hope this place doesn't go south. ANY post that has 'You are just a..........' and any namecalling or question of intelligence, should just be shut down. Ah, but if it were so simple........$.02

• Members
Has anyone tried emailing Terry to see what he has to say about this?

He'll probably just try to say that he didn't make those posts and that someone hacked his account and posted them under his moniker like he has in the past.

Terry's made a lot of bannable posts on the Political Party forum...it's about time he finally got pinched for them.

And for him to imply that Brian is a child molester is complete bull{censored}. There's not a child molesting bone in his body...Captain Lice Beard on the other hand probably gives out free ice cream cones to the wee ones for "pony rides" on his "knee" at his ice cream parlor gigs. :(

Archived