Ventura Guitars!~

Ragster

• Members

:confused:

Fellow Pickers,

I am hoping that someone can shed some light on me regarding Ventura guitars and the name Bruno. Whenever I hear someone mentioning Ventura guitars, 90% of the time they usually add the name Bruno (as in Bruno Ventura). I understand that C. Bruno and Son Inc. distributed these fine Japanese made instruments here in the good ol' US of A in the 1970's until they were forced to shut down due to some law suit regarding patents or something.

Anyhoo, I own 2 Ventura's. A V25 and a V696. Each of these has the label inside of the sound hole which reads:

VENTURA

B BRUNO

MODEL___ SERIAL___

I recently saw a Ventura without the name Bruno on the label. It was a V14 and the label (which was slighty different) reads:

VENTURA

Fine Fretted Instruments

Serial No.___

Model No.___

designed in USA built in Japan

I have seen this same V14 in an old Bruno Ventura catalog so I know that this model was also sold here in the USA. So my question is...why do some Ventura's have the name Bruno on it and others don't? My guess is that if it didn't have the name Bruno on it then it was probably bought and sold in Japan...but that is just my guess. If anybody can help me out I would really appreciate it. Is one or the other of more value now? With or without the name Bruno on it?

Also as I mentioned above, it was my understanding that Ventura was shut down in the 70's but I just saw a Ventura up for auction on Ebay

category=47064>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3712300889&

category=47064

and the description of the guitars says that it is NEW. How can this be? I mean, how can a company that has been out of business for 30 years have a brand new guitar? Could these be 2 different Ventura company's? I have emailed this person but have yet to receive a reply. Thanks and happy picking!~

Ragster

P.S. If anybody knows of any websites or any information at all about Ventura guitars it would be really kewl if you can pass along the information. Thanks again!~

• Members

I can't help you out much with the answers, since I've never learned doodly squat about Venturas either!

I have two also.

A V-10 Non-Bruno (but they did make the V-10) with the Bruno sticker too.

And a Ventura P-bass with a Jazz P-up.

Both sound great. The V-10 even with it's plywood top has a nice balance and makes a great rhythm instrument. It's just real bassy.

Both instruments were bargains. They aren't the finest axes by far, but really, they are well made and can't be beat for the current prices they are drawing.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I bought a Ventura V-23B in 1972. Inside the label reads as:

Ventura

Fine Fretted Instruments

Model No. V-23B

Designed in U.S.A. built in Japan

This one has no serial number and doesn't mention Bruno.

Anyone have any ideas on why there is no serial number? :)

Thank you!:)

• Members

Venturas are now being sold again, but I've no idea if they're manufactured by the original company or if someone else bought out the name.

Intererstingly enough, they've already come out w/ a knock-off of the Martin Roger McGuinn 7-string, but w/ a "vine of life" fingerboard inlay...a buddy of mine had one at his music store.

http://www.venturasoundideas.com/

• Members

A "Bruno" Ventura was imported by C. Bruno & Company of New York. I don't know if they were the sole importers or not. Presumably so.

Ventura is again being built. The name and rights were purchased and new production started, in about 2005 I believe.

The Site is Here!

I'd bet the new Ventura guitars are made by Cort but I can't say for a fact. They do build a lot of oem guitars as well as their own.

As to value, there isn't much at this time though I think that's going to start changing and I don't think there is much, if any, difference between a Bruno and a non-Bruno.

Very good Gibson and Martin knockoffs. So good that was their demise.

• Members

. . . I'd bet the new Ventura guitars are made by Cort but I can't say for a fact. They do build a lot of oem guitars as well as their own. . . .

+1 :thu: The other main possibility is Samick. They and Cort are the largest and second-largest makers of guitars, respectively, in the world.

• Members

I had an old friend of mine who played a Ventura ( he still has it ) it was a remarkable guitar - so much like a Martin- easy to understand why it infringed copyrights - its sound was fantastic , always wondered why they didnt promote them more -great instruments !

• Members

I had an old friend of mine who played a Ventura ( he still has it ) it was a remarkable guitar - so much like a Martin- easy to understand why it infringed copyrights - its sound was fantastic , always wondered why they didnt promote them more -great instruments !

They were an inconsistent brand...ranging "OK" to OMG!"...

Had a Ventura "Martin New Yorker" knock-off, back in the early '70s, that was a fingerpicker's wet-dream...wish I'd kept it!

I've played a few of the new crop, at my buddy's music store (M & M Music & Pawn, Cleburne, TX., if I may give him a plug ;)) and they seem pretty nice, too...no idea if his in-house repair guy tweaks 'em any before sale, though.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've had a V-696 for about 10 years now... $200 pawn shop special. I'll probably never sell it. Beautiful wood, very full sound. A couple years ago I noticed a hairline crack right down the middle of the bridge (not a good place, huh?). It may have have started b/c I like the sound of 13's or it may have been there for years, I dunno. It hasn't gotten any worse, but i would hate to wake up to a bigger problem some day. What to do?

Anyone who plays it, loves it. No one has ever picked it up then decided to switch to their guitar.

Again, what to do?

• Members

I've had a V-696 for about 10 years now... $200 pawn shop special. I'll probably never sell it. Beautiful wood, very full sound. A couple years ago I noticed a hairline crack right down the middle of the bridge (not a good place, huh?). It may have have started b/c I like the sound of 13's or it may have been there for years, I dunno. It hasn't gotten any worse, but i would hate to wake up to a bigger problem some day. What to do?

Anyone who plays it, loves it. No one has ever picked it up then decided to switch to their guitar.

Again, what to do?

Is the crack running through the strings' pin holes?

• Members

Again, what to do?

This is not good to try to diagnose yourself and repair if you don't know what you are doing but love your guitar. Have a luthier or qualified tech check it out. It sounds like a bridge replacement along with the bridge plate. I could not tell you for sure without looking at it. This sounds like a structural damage that shouldn't be ignored. This type of repair isn't as bad as it sounds. It can also turn to greater problems if not fixed.:wave:

• 12 years later...
  • Members

Just picked up a Ventura "Bruno" V-14       Ser#38571   A

$60.00 with a soft padded case.  Necks straight as an arrow, frets are worn, no cracks, all original,  all the finish is VINTAGE YELLOW lol, sounds fantastic. Just dropped it off for new strings,  action reset and polish.... Tech said it looked like a good guitar, said frets are still good... He's only going to charge me $30.00 to dial it all back in, polish it up, new strings and reset the action. Solid mahogany if not rosewood back and sides (Does anyone know?) , 50 years / Seasoned AAAA spruce top (based on how tight the grain is and my having considered building my own and having shopped for tops)

Cant wait to get it back tomorrow to play it..... 

Stoked !!! 

Solid wood, Vintage Seasoned and structurally perfect AAAA Spruce or Cedar soundboard guitar for under $100.00 NICE!!! 

Can anyone direct me to a sight that can determine the exact year.... I saw one advertised with serial number 43560 and they said it was a 1969.... mine is 5000 guitars lower in number so I would hypothesize it being two to three years older as I cant imagine they made more than 2000 of this model per year?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.....

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I have Ventura Bruno V-14. I found it in a trash can when I drove trash truck. I can NEVER trash a guitar. Bridge was missing. Problem is, it most closely resembles a "1969 v14" but mine doesn't have a serial number on the label. It makes it very hard to date.

I have begun a restomod. I didn't have a dime in this guitar before I started. Nearly finished now. I would like help identifying the age, though.

Archived