Fender Newporter II info needed....

jsgates

• Members

Did a google search and looked around on ebay and could not find much on these guitars. I had never heard of one, but a guy that I work with bought on back in 1991. It is the New Porter II model. The serial # is with 90906xxx, I assume that this was built in 1990. Just looking to get some more info on this for him. Built in USA, Mexico, or Japan? What woods used in the construction. I couldn't even find a good pic of one of these using google image search! I think he said he paid around $400 back in '91. Guitar has a dread body, but a strat style neck and headstock. Any info anyone can give is appreciated. Also, I was wondering who made these for Fender? Possibly Cort?

• Members

Seriously, nobody has ever seen or heard of this guitar?

Fender Newporter: 1965-1971, 1983-1992, /acoustic flat-top, mahogany back and sides. Name used on Asian import model in 80's.

1965-1968 Spruce top $450-$550

1968-1971 Mahogany top $350-$450

That's it. From Vintage Guitar Magazine 2007 Price Guide. I've never seen one. The book doesn't list a II. It's one of those "play it if you like it" kind of deals. Right?

• Members

Thanks for the info Dan. I was just going through my book "Acoustic Guitars: The Illustrated Encyclopedia", and and didn't find much in there either, other than the mention of the Newporter. Serial # on the headstock of this guitar is very strange to for a Fender serial. I am assuming the Newporter II was a reissue of the original Neporter in the 60's, but in the early 90's. Pretty interesting though. Can't find anything on it at all! I am guessing these were built in Korea or Japan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My son has a Fender Newporter II that, I think, was mfg about 1990. This one is stamped on back of headstock "made in Korea". It has a warm sound and plays really easy. I would also like to know its value.

• 12 years later...

Archived