Sign in to follow this  
musichascolors

Tightening the machine heads

I recently bought a guitar and almost immediately i noticed there was buzzing, so I went to the guy I bought it from and he said the machine heads were really loose(so why didn't you tighten them before you sold it?) anyway, he tightened them, they sounded good, now it's buzzing again, I want to tighten the machine heads?

What do I need to do in order to do this? Do I need to remove the strings first or anything in particular? Thanks.

What people usually tighten on their "machine heads" or tuners are the hex nut on the shaft. There is frequently a flat washer under the nut that can vibrate. Use the right sized nut driver - you can scar the finish very easily (yeah, you need to remove the strings to do it right). There is also a screw in the end of some shafts in the middle of the knob - that actually sets the tension on the worm and peg gears - don't mess with it unless you are sure that is the problem. It is also possible that the little screws that hold the tuners to the back of the headstock are loose - you could put a tiny drop of white glue on them.

It is entirely possible your buzz is coming from somewhere else - if you are sure it is from the head stock likely candidate are the truss rod nut or cover, loose nut, or nut slots cut too deep.

Oh, edit to add - if you don't have hex nuts on the shaft you might have press in bushings. I tiny drop of CA would help hold them in.

What FK said.

The truss could be rattling. If so, it would only require a tiny bit of tightening to fix it.

If the extra string has'nt been trimmed at the tuners and one string is restiing across the others it can cause a rattle.

If it has electronics a wire or something related could cause a rattle.

I had a Yamaha that had the tuner buttons pressed onto the worm-gear shafts and one of them rattled. I just squashed the button onto the shaft with a pair of vice-grips, fixed the rattle.