New Guitar Day - Martin D-15 Special

cc999

• Members

Just received my new Martin D15 special with solid mahogany back and sides and Sakita Spruce top. This guitar is absolutly spectacular! The build quality is perfect. I changed out the shipped strings with the DAdorio lights. I looked over the guitar with a fine tooth comb and I have to say there is not 1 flaw. The wood looks beautiful. Setup was perfect and the sound is absolute perfection.

What are the preferred strings for this model from experienced martin players? Also should I get some kind of humidity control to put in the hardshell case?

All comments are welcomed..........

Charlie C

• Members

Welcome to the Slothead Club. What a wonderful guitar, I think you are really going to like it. Martin's recommended strings are Martin SP 4200 Medium Phosphor Bronze, but you might want to take a listen to the great string test and see if you prefer something else. Also, most of the 15's are hog top, how did you get spruce?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556148

I humidify year around with a simple kitchen sponge in a baggie and keep the guitar in its case when I'm not playing. I'll bet yours will spend a lot of time out LOL

• Members

The reason it has a solid Sitka Spruce top is that this is a limited edition D-15. From the description:

"Most affordable spruce-top solid wood Martin ever, and only available here! This Martin D-15 Custom Acoustic Guitar is the real deal and a real steal. Crafted with a solid Sitka spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, tortoise binding, modified low-oval mahogany neck with a mortise-and-tenon joint and adjustable truss rod, solid Indian rosewood fingerboard and bridge, and inlaid single-ring rosette. The mahogany body on this guitar is much lighter in weight than rosewood, koa, or maple and yields a surprisingly strong, loud sound with an emphasis on clear, bright, airy trebles. Quantities of this custom Martin acoustic guitar are limited."

Check this link out:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_martin_d15_custom_spruce_and_mahogany_acoustic_guitar?full_sku=514700

This guitar sounds unbelievable. I can't put it down! I actually got this guitar for 765 delivered price not the 899 advertised price. This was a steal. I will take some pics later on. I played every Martin, Ovation, Laravee, Epiphone, and Taylor in the 650-1200 dollar price range. This was the clear winner.

Charlie C

• Members

Congrats on the new Custom!

I've owned the Spruce/Rosewood version of the D-15 Custom since spring '06.

I think it's a great guitar. Mine came from Musician's Friend, and was in tune when it came out of the box (altho a half step down).

I thought the strings that it came with sounded really good.

The next set I put on were Elixer nanoweb PB's. I thought they sounded worse than the "old strings" I has just taken off. I had never heard that happen on a guitar before.:confused: But I did leave them on for quite a while, and the tone never did deteriorate much from there.

Next I went to Martin SP Phosphor Bronze lights, and to my ears these strings are ideal for this guitar. I'm not sure if that would hold true for the spruce/mahogany model, but I would guess it would. They are not as long lived as the Elixers, but IMO it's a much better life.:thu:

BTW, when I was researching guitars before I made the on-line leap of faith for the custom, several reviews for the rosewood model mentioned the "smell" of the guitar. I thought they were nuts until I got it. The spicy scent of rosewood that comes wafting out of the soundhole on the first strum is heavenly! Does the mahogany model have a similar aroma? Maybe it's the satin finish?

• Members

Congrats CC. Milo, I have a DR Custom that spills rosewood aroma every time I pick it up. Isn't that a great smell? Back on subject here......I think I love those D'Addario lights best CC, I have them on every guitar I own except my Guild. I haven't changed them because it's still too new.

• Members

You guys are absolutly right on. The sweet smell of the guitar is exactly as you describe! Do you have any humidity control in the hardshell case? If so can you suggest what I should use? Thanks again for the comments.

Charlie C

• Members

Congratulations on the new Martin! That looks to be a nice guitar. I like the way the grain seems denser toward the outer sides of the soundboard. I bet it sounds nice! :)

As for in-case humidification, I'd recommend the Planet Waves hygrometer/sound hole humidifier combo with either a second optional eggshell type humidifier to put up by the headstock. The sound hole humidifier will take care of the interior of the body while the second up by the headstock will humidify the fretboard (in case your guitar doesn't have the micarta fretboard) and the neck.

Freeman probably covers this is in his "Is My Guitar Sick?" sticky (see top of the forum topics page) but general rule of thumb is that the guitar should optimally be exposed to 45%-55% RH and it's best to use distilled water instead of tap water. I don't know what your local weather is like, but generally I keep my guitars out of their cases during the from spring to fall unless the air conditioning is cranked (sucking all the moisture out of the house) or my little kids have taken an interest in my guitars as a plaything and I'm unable to hang them up out of reach.

BTW - don't think that spring water is an acceptable alternative. I use it in my Larrivee's PW sound hole humidifier and the green foam has turned brown. :o

• Members

Congrats on the new guitar! :thu: That really *was* a steal! Love the grain on both the front and back, very nice. As for humidifiers, I think almost any humidifier will get the job done but the hygrometer is important so you know what the relative humidity is. I have the Planet Waves HTS and am very happy with it. Just make sure you calibrate whichever hygrometer you get (I found out my HTS was reading 5% high so not too bad, others may vary). I believe there is a calibration thread on here somewhere. And enjoy your guitar!!

• Members

I've got the exact same guitar! I absolutely love it, I bought it when they first came out for $699 and it sounds better now than when I first bought it.

The grain on the sitka top is very tight, lovely. I just had a Martin Thinline Goldplus Natural II undersaddle pickup installed on Tuesday and now it sounds great through an amp or PA. Nice guitar!! :thu:

• Members

I want to apologize for my first post when I welcomed you to the slothead club and with my string recommendations. First, I assumed when you said "D15 Special" you were refering to the D-15S - hog topped slothead dread equivalent of the much loved 000-15S (which is why I asked how you got the spruce top) It wasn't until I saw the pics that I realized this was a house custom model, not a standard Special. It is a beautiful guitar and you will be very happy with it it.

• Members

Freeman,

Thank you for the comments. I am still amazed at how good this guitar sounds! I love it! The sound is incredible and the playability is unreal.

Yes this is my first Martin! I have a 30 year old Ovation Applause that is pretty cool but not match for the Martin. I also have a 50th anniversary Sunburst American Fender Strat and a Alpine White Gibson Les Paul Studio.

Please give more info on the pickups you installed, How much? Did you install? Where you bought it.

Also can a Sure SM57 mic aligned in the hole have decent sound thru a good PA???

• Members

I do not have pickups in any of mine, but the one I hear recommended the most is the K&K Pure Western or Mini. One of the most respected Martin repair people in the country, Bryan Kimsey, installs the K&K - that is pretty good endorsement for me.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/music/lutherie.htm

My humble little home studio consists of a single Shure SM57 into a Boss digital recorder - that is what was used for the String Test clips in my first post. They were recorded completely dry with the mic about 8 inches from the 12 fret (don't point at sound hole, it will be boomy). By the way, those clips are my D-18 which will be very similar in sound to yours, so you should be able to get some really good ideas of what different strings will sound like.

And, if you think that baby sounds good now, give it six months or so (with lots of play) - you'll be amazed how it opens up.

• Members

Does the guitars tone change over time? I hear this all the time about the guitar sounding better with age. Is it the curing of the wood or a combination of the curing of the wood and vibration from playing?

• Members

The reason it has a solid Sitka Spruce top is that this is a limited edition D-15. From the description:

"Most affordable spruce-top solid wood Martin ever, and only available here! This Martin D-15 Custom Acoustic Guitar is the real deal and a real steal. Crafted with a solid Sitka spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, tortoise binding, modified low-oval mahogany neck with a mortise-and-tenon joint and adjustable truss rod, solid Indian rosewood fingerboard and bridge, and inlaid single-ring rosette. The mahogany body on this guitar is much lighter in weight than rosewood, koa, or maple and yields a surprisingly strong, loud sound with an emphasis on clear, bright, airy trebles. Quantities of this custom Martin acoustic guitar are limited."

Check this link out:

This guitar sounds unbelievable. I can't put it down! I actually got this guitar for 765 delivered price not the 899 advertised price. This was a steal. I will take some pics later on. I played every Martin, Ovation, Laravee, Epiphone, and Taylor in the 650-1200 dollar price range. This was the clear winner.

Charlie C

congrats on your martin....765?? you must know the secretary!!!!!!lol

Archived