Installing brass bridge-pins...arrrgh

Michael Martin

• Members

I did this last night for the first time. But it was a huge pain. :mad: They didn't want to stay put (especially low E), and I almost said to hell with it, but finally I got them all in after much struggle. I couldn't tell how or why one would finally get properly set, but for some strings it felt like I was putting way too much force on the top. Now that they're all in, the sound is great--they sure 'nuff do make a tonal difference--but now I wonder--if I play hard on stage, will one of them pop out and kill an audience member? :eek:

This hard-to-get-set-in-place thing has never been an issue with ebony, plastic, or anything else I've used. Is there some installation trick that any of y'all know about? :confused:

• Members

Are you sure you have the correct size? Pins come in two different tapers (3 and 5 degrees) and several diameters. The wrong size will not seat properly.

Assuming they aren't too small, remember that it is the wedging action of the string ball that holds them in, not the fact that they are crammed into the hole.

• Members

Oh, man, what a drag.:cry:

The bridge on my Gitane allows for loop-ended strings, so I don't have to worry about bridge pins. It also has holes to let ball-ended strings pass through, but I don't use ball-ended strings.

And none of my nylon gits have bridge pins.

Hmmm ... I'm noticing a trend in my own acoustic guitaring life. No bridge pins! :D

• Members

I put a set of the Dunlop brass pins on my Squier, and had absolutely no problems with the pins. I did read a lot of reviews of people who had that issue you are speaking of, so what I did when I put them on my guitar was, I put all 6 srings on the bridge first, inserting one at a time, inserting the pin, and reaching underneath to make sure the ball ends were seated properly. Once all 6 were in, I strung them on the tuning machines as usual, and not one of the pins moved from their positions.

Dan

• Members

Remember, , as FK mentioned, the strings are held in by tension, not the peg itself.

inside.JPG

As you can see, if the strings are put in right, if they try to pull out, they will bind against the peg and cause it to jam in tighter.

Really, all the pegs to is hold the string ball end in the correct position, in the notch, if there is one, or against the peg hole if not.

Your pegs may be too short.

• Members

Next time you change the strings remember to bend the end of the string about 1/2-3/4'' from the ball end so that you can insert the string into the hole with the ball end heading back up towards the sound hole. Then insert the pin and hold it in gently with only gentle finger pressure while you pull on the string so that the ball end seats against the side of the pin. You will hear and feel a distinctive click and then when you pull, the pin will stay where it is. Now you are ready to tighten.

Meanwhile, welcome to the wonderful world of brass bridge pins! When I first joined this forum the vast majority of the folks here strenuously maintained that the pins have absolutely no impact on tone. (They also swore that laminates can't sound as good as solids and don't improve with age and that the nut has no impact on tone if a string is fretted or capoed.) We've come a long way.

• Members

Hey, Baba - soon as I get around to it, I'm taking your advice and trying brass pins on my F335, but Freeman's comment has me wondering. I'm looking at these D'Andrea pins -

brasspins.jpg

Will they fit the Yammie bridge properly?

• 13 years later...
  • Members

hi peeps I,myself to tone the acoustic strings many years ago I made a brass nut and a brass bridge or (you can buy them) for my Oscar Schmidt which is quite a loud guitar to begin with,they were an instant hit,brightened the sound greatly,now I bought the brass pegs just for the trio look,therefore the nut and bridge comes into contact with the strings and make the difference,the pegs may help but they look good anyway,all the best Si

Archived