Light strings for Martin D-15

Dragontooth

• Members

I have a new D-15 custom spruce/rosewood which has beautiful tone however I actually prefer lighter gauge strings and purchased a set of Elixers for it. I am hesitant however to change them because I fear I might get some fret buzz if I don't adjust the action for these lighter strings. I'm not inclined to take my new instrument in for an adjustment at this point. Has anyone done this with a D-15? How did it work?

• Members

I have a new D-15 custom spruce/rosewood which has beautiful tone however I actually prefer lighter gauge strings and purchased a set of Elixers for it. Has anyone done this with a D-15? How did it work?

Yes and no. First, my guitar is a little different... It's a DC-15, all mahogany. No idea if the different construction/materials will affect how much the action changes.

Second, I switched to light gauge strings before I left the guitar shop, so they did the necessary adjustments for me at that time as part of the initial setup. I think mediums are stock. I have since switched brands to Elixirs, still lights, but that switch did not change the action (at least not enough for me to notice), so the tension requirements between brands of strings must have been pretty close.

Did you buy the guitar locally, or mail-order? If locally, how long ago? If fairly recently, inquire about having them do an adjustment... Tell them you are not happy with the strings that are on it, and want it adjusted for the strings you like. If they are at all interested in repeat business, then they may offer to do the adjustment for free. They will probably insist that you buy the strings from them when they do it, but I think that's reasonable. Keep the set of strings that you already bought for your next string change.

-m

• Members

Congratulations on your new git - you chose a good one!

I like lights on all my guitars, including my old D18, and I do nothing special to them. In fact, both my old Martins have non-adjustable truss rods so I couldn't if I wanted to. The change from mediums to lights will reduce the string tension about 12 percent. You will probably feel a difference, may notice a little less volume, and may get a little buzzing if your action is marginal to start with (the lights will have slightly greater amplituted of vibration). If it buzzes in the lower frets you might need more relief (or a higher action), if it buzzes in the upper frets you might need less relief (or higher action). Frankly, I doubt if you will have any problems, but measure the relief before and after the change, and, if you think it has changed enough to be a problem, correct it (I would say that if it changes more than a couple thousands I'd correct it)

One other thing you could do is try down tuning your mediums one half step (that is almost the same reduction in tension as going to lights). If it works, go ahead and make the change.

Last thoughts, most new Marties need a good setup - their actions are usually a bit on the high side, some folks report their nuts are a little high, and you may want to ask about having the pins reamed. When a tech is doing the setup she should be doing it based on the strings you will use in the future.

Good luck

• Members

First, a setup on a new guitar is not a bad thing.

Secondly, you shouldn't necessarily assume you will get string buzz when you change to lights. You might, but not necessarily.

And third, if you do hear a little buzz, you can always go back to mediums if you wish...

• Members

I went to the light strings( Martin MSP4050 SP Phosphor Bronze Custom Light) and sometimes get a slight buzz. I just haven't had the time to get the D15 setup and everything is still the factory setup. I tried the extra light and they do buzz and will drive you crazy.

Funny thing is you become more critical when you change to another string so the reality is maybe its not the string but just getting use to them and the buzz goes away..

I was given some Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum Acoustic Med light Guitar Strings and I love them. Found out they are a little on the expensive side and harder to find locally. Liked them so well I ordered them on line. They just seem to bend with less effort. My wife only plays nylon and she even thought that the Thomastik played better and were not as hard on the fingers as some of the other steel brands I have tried.

Lots of strings out there and all slightly different.

• Members

String it up and see.

If you get a buzz....a 1/4 turn of the trussrod counterlockwise should fix it

Yup. 1/8 turn c-c fixes buzz for me when I change from lights to extra-lights on my CFM DX12 when I'm in the mood for something a bit different.

And I should say my DX is rather finicky. Your D15 might not be so.

Many congrats on a fine git. Enjoy :)

Archived