Samick LW-028 GSA-K

simonthepieman

• Members

Hello,

I got this dreadnought MIK acoustic for my dad about 5-6 yrs ago and although its a somewhat of a cheapie i was wondering a few things about it.

1- what does the GSA-K mean ? i have seen reviews on here for the GSA only. i also notice that the LW series are no longer being made.

2- i restrung the guitar about 3 years or so and i seem to think that either the string gauge is to big or something since the strings feel very tight if you play it. Mind the neck/fingerboard/frets feel fine. any ideas?

3- does anyone have this model and do they like it?

thanks

• Members

i believe they are 10's so i am thinking of going back to the 9's. Could the higher guage also not fit well within the nut?

10's are about as low as you should go on an acoustic (and lots of people here would say that 12's are as low as you should go!), but I like and use 10's on my acoustics.

The nut slots should accommodate 10's fine without any adjustment. It sounds to me as if the guitar needs a set up. Have a look at the "Is my guitar sick?" thread above - you might need to get the guitar set up or maybe do it youself.

• 13 years later...
  • Members

Samick are diamonds in the rough guitar makers. 80% of America’s guitars either come from the Samick plant, or from the Cort plant. They both make guitars for companies like Fender, Epiphone, Horner, and on and on. Samick builds their guitars with quality standards and upgraded materials. Designer Greg Bennet was brought in 10 years ago or so to help them market their brand. As for strings, 12’s will give you a deeper booming voice than lighter strings. Most country and bluegrass swears by them. I wouldn’t personally go below 11s.Enjoy your guitar!

Archived