A Plea for Probity

babablowfish

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, that's a 'yes?':p

If someone occasionally comes into this forum who wants some actual advice or to talk about guitars, rather than spending their time in the political pig-pens at HC, where they use 'in-your-face' signatures, should they change their signatures just to be accepted in this forum?

I used to thrive on arguing politics or religion, but I've come to see it as a great waste of time and energy, especially over the internet. I am here for the comaraderie, to learn, and to share what I've learned. That, imo, is what this forum is all about. I am not here to score points, or elicit negative emotional reactions in people. Life is too short.:)

Just my two Pfennigs....

Cheers!

Glenn

• Members

Probity? Wasn't he a pop star years ago? PJ Probity, I think it was... ;)

Anyways: here in my enlightened country we have passed new animal welfare laws which ban the use of rats in laboratory experimentation. We are now using lawyers instead.

This has proven to have two major advantages:

(1) Laboratory staff do not get fond of them
(2) There were always certain things they could not get the rats to do.

I hope this is a useful contribution to Harmony harmony :evil::lol:

• Members

+1 baba on the sentiment of this thread.

It's actually a very simple issue.
It's all spelled out very clealy in the TOS.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/faq.php

If someone wishes to be patently offensive to the online community, such as Content that promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;

They need to get the TOS changed in this forum,
or start their own forum with their own TOS.

Abiding by the TOS is a cost of participating in a free forum.

Sometimes, it does take a village.

• Members
+1 baba on the sentiment of this thread.

It's actually a very simple issue.

It's all spelled out very clealy in the TOS.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/faq.php

If someone wishes to be patently offensive to the online community, such as Content that promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;

They need to get the TOS changed in this forum,

or start their own forum with their own TOS.

Abiding by the TOS is a cost of participating in a free forum.

Sometimes, it does take a village.

Well said. :thu:

• Members

If someone occasionally comes into this forum who wants some actual advice or to talk about guitars, rather than spending their time in the political pig-pens at HC, where they use 'in-your-face' signatures, should they change their signatures just to be accepted in this forum?

Glenn

Should they? Absolutely - if they want to be accepted and get advice from the frequenters of this forum.

Must they? Absolutely not. You are free to keep your offensive, puerile sig if you wish - just don't expect much help from the reasonable people around here.

Edit: That "you" of course, doesn't mean you, Glenn...

• Members

I used to thrive on arguing politics or religion, but I've come to see it as a great waste of time and energy, especially over the internet. I am here for the comaraderie, to learn, and to share what I've learned. That, imo, is what this forum is all about. I am not here to score points, or elicit negative emotional reactions in people. Life is too short.
:)

Just my two Pfennigs....

Cheers!

Glenn

I never argue religion anywhere. Man has been fighting religious wars forever. Who am I to say which religion is correct? I prefer to play it safe with the "higher spiritual powers". ;)

I wasted far too much time arguing US politics on internet forums throughout the years. I love civil political debates. Unfortantely, the anonymous aspect of the internet draws the worst qualities out of people. They tend to be much more emotional and vicious on the internet. Most of those nasty people would not be as rude to a person face to face (without bodily harm falling upon themselves - ;)).

Therefore, I have my political discussions the old fashion way: Face to face. My goal is to try and see things for the other person's perspective. It's very enlightening to me.

• Members

yea but what about the oppression of lawyers on this site?

Do lawyers have support groups to help them deal with the cold, cruel internet world?

:lol:

Most people are afraid of lawyers in the states. They never bring good news. ;)

• Members

You hit the nail on the head. I can't even read some of the other sections of what used to be a great forum. The filth is rampant.

That's in part why I have my own forum. It might not be as big, but it certainly isn't this. You do it on my forum, you get the boot, permanently. I also don't approve of the religious and political posts.

YMMV.

I never noticed that sig and the forum until you mentioned it. You've got yourself a new member.

I didnt read this whole post until the end, as I don't really have the time. But all I'd like to say is that, even with this newly mentioned political and religious comments, which by the way I didn't see, this forum is still one of the "cleanest" I've had the pleasure to be a member of.

• Members

I never noticed that sig and the forum until you mentioned it. You've got yourself a new member.

I didnt read this whole post until the end, as I don't really have the time. But all I'd like to say is that, even with this newly mentioned political and religious comments, which by the way I didn't see, this forum is still one of the "cleanest" I've had the pleasure to be a member of.

It's a nice forum, but it's in it's infant stage. I'm sure the traffic will pick up as more people discover it. :thu:

Archived