A Plea for Probity

babablowfish

• Members

What personally offends me are the avatars and sigs that are intended for one purpose - to offend me. Most of the time these carry some sort of really offensive sexual or in-you-face message - I don't like being flipped off, I don't like jokes about violent sex, I don't care for your scatalogical proclivities.

However, I'm not going to turn off sigs because I really want to know what you find important. If offending me and others on the forum is important I want to know that because I want nothing further to do with you.

This is a good point, there is a big difference between offending for the mere sake of offending and offending in the course of doing something else.

There are posters I've passed over because of their signatures. Nothing wrong with that. There are people I avoid in real life too. What I object to is the pretense that it other people's job to go out of their way to avoid offending us - that we have the right to demand such.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

all of this brings up an interesting thought

Krash and I are working on the HCAG Annex to share members music and the way each member will be indentified is his/hers avatar and handle (sigs are not used). If you have submitted music to me remember that. So far I can't think of anything that is blatently offensive, but remember, if that is the statement you want to make to the music community....

• Members

So you leave signatures on intentionally to get a feel for the person, and then when one strikes you wrong you ask the person to change it? Seems like you value your "fun" more than you value other people. Mighty big of you there.

If you want to get to know people, you have to accept that you won't like some of them and that it's not your place that to demand that they change so as to not interfere with your fun.

I can't speak for Denver, but I never ask a person to change offensive signatures. I think signatures that reference sexual acts or heinous acts agaisnt others to be offensive, but I ignore those. I figure the poster wants us all to know that they suffer from a mental illness or are ignorant. Either way, it's a fair warning to those of us that don't associate with people like those that find that type of stuff appropriate in a public forum.

Luckily, most of those "special people" usually stay off this forum.

• Members

This is a good point, there is a big difference between offending for the mere sake of offending and offending in the course of doing something else.

There are posters I've passed over because of their signatures. Nothing wrong with that. There are people I avoid in real life too. What I object to is the pretense that it other people's job to go out of their way to avoid offending us - that we have the right to demand such.

You have an interesting way of viewing tolerance.

You want people to tolerate each other (offensive or not) and not police each other, yet you feel the need to police the self-appointed hall monitors.

Those that value tolerance should set the example of being tolerant.

You are proving EXACTLY why this type of discussion is bad for a guitar forum.

• Members

So you leave signatures on intentionally to get a feel for the person, and then when one strikes you wrong you ask the person to change it? Seems like you value your "fun" more than you value other people. Mighty big of you there.

If you want to get to know people, you have to accept that you won't like some of them and that it's not your place that to demand that they change so as to not interfere with your fun.

Perhaps I didn't articulate my feelings very well. I value people just fine, thank you, but what I don't value is offensive language when it's uncalled for. Just tossing around F*** and its ilk indiscriminately coarsens the language. There's a place for even the worst of obscene words and thoughts, but I'm suggesting that this forum is not one of them.

People have the right to say what they want. I also have the right to ignore the potty-mouths when they come here looking for camaraderie. Didn't say "clean up your sig or we'll prosecute you". Ever hear of "community standards"?

• Members

You have an interesting way of viewing tolerance.

You want people to tolerate each other (offensive or not) and not police each other, yet you feel the need to police the self-appointed hall monitors.

Those that value tolerance should set the example of being tolerant.

You are proving EXACTLY why this type of discussion is bad for a guitar forum.

You have misunderstood the nature of tolerance. Tolerance does not require putting up with intolerance. If that were so, then tolerance would be impossible. Fortunately, it is not.

Baba started the discussion, I've joined it and expressed my opinion. It is not my job to wander around policing him, nor is he required to avoid offending me. I am not policing anybody. The fact that I find Baba's behavior offensive is irrelevant here. I pointed out that it was, merely as a counterpoint.

• Members

We have no right whatsoever to ask them to change their signature across the board as a prerequisite.

I beg to differ, somewhat. I don't think it should be a prerequisite, but I have encountered a couple that were far beyond the pale and extremely offensive.

In one instance, the request to change the sig was subsequent to a post, certainly not as a prerequisite. The poster responded graciously, thus garnering more helpful replies to his query as opposed to being placed on more than one "ignore" list.

• Members

I'm offended by Esteban guitars. Let's form a posse and march on QVC.
:cop:

Hey! Blame those folks at Home Shopping Network! QVC is too busy selling diamonique jewelry to deal with particle board guitars and sunglass at night wearing guitarists. ;)

• Members

Hey! Blame those folks at Home Shopping Network! QVC is too busy selling diamonique jewelry to deal with particle board guitars and sunglass at night wearing guitarists.
;)

LOL......and don't let's forget numerous skin-care systems to make you look as good as you sound on that PB git. (Price of skin care breaks down to about $10 per zit)

Now for the orange airbrush tan........Hollyweird, here we come!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

LOL......and don't let's forget numerous skin-care systems to make you look as good as you sound on that PB git. (Price of skin care breaks down to about $10 per zit)

Now for the orange airbrush tan........Hollyweird, here we come!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Yeah, the sun causes cancer, so cover yourself with this man made chemical instead and you will look like you were in the sun.....

I'm sure the chemical is safe. ;)

• Members

This has been some lively discussion. I've appreciated how this forum has handled replying to posters whose sigs were overly crude.

...Forgive me Im a lawyer!

So I guess I shouldn't put lawyer jokes in my sig. They're actually my favorite.

Scott O

• Members

This has been some lively discussion. I've appreciated how this forum has handled replying to posters whose sigs were overly crude.

So I guess I shouldn't put lawyer jokes in my sig. They're actually my favorite.

Scott O

What's the difference between a dead skunk in the road and a dead lawyer in the road?

There are skid marks in front of the skunk.

What do you call seven lawyers under the sea? - A good start!!:lol:

• Members

When did we allow lawyers to join our forum ?, i must of been sleeping that day -
:bor:

Whats next politicians ?

It gets worse I later went on to train as a psychotherapist - I might need banning from the forum. How would I feel about that? Why was my mother always so critical?:eek:

• Members

What's the difference between a dead skunk in the road and a dead lawyer in the road?

There are skid marks in front of the skunk.

What do you call seven lawyers under the sea? - A good start!!
:lol:

When I was pimping for a living I decided to take the LSAT and see if I could improve myself. I got a pretty good score and applied to and was accepted by several second rank schools. After interviewing with a couple of lawyers I was acquainted with, (certain business dealings) I decided that I wouldn't be able to handle the loss of public esteem. I passed on the law school idea. I later went on to become a country music singer. ;)

• Members

:snax:

Yeah?...well I used to find Stack's constant harrassment of bridge pins to be mildly offensive but now I am seriously studying classical guitar so maybe it was a subliminal thing? :p

It must be working as I am now studying Shearers "Classic Guitar Technique Vol.1"...now if that don't stir up controversy...

Archived