Guitar strap: Strap button versus tied to headstock?

Walt Pilcher

• Members

I mount to the headstock. I hardly ever use a strap, but when I do, I use a homemade version of the button setup similar to the Martin one shown in the pic. I cover mine with a very soft fabric sleeve.

When I used a tie-on, I put the knot as close to the end of the strap as possible, or at the back of the headstock if the tie strings were kinda short. The knot was nowhere close to the git strings and looked nice and neat. Again, the tie strings were slipped through little fabric sleeves to help prevent abrasion.

For some reason, I just get the willies over drilling a hole in my git that wasn't put there by the manufacturer.

• Members

After reading this thread, I went ahead and put one on my Seagull since I had one from a set of strap locks. Seagull has a nice PDF on their site that shows you exact measurements of where the neck bolts are, and where the dowels are, and exactly where to put the strap pin. I have a set of calipers, so it was really a piece of cake.

I just covered up the heel in blue masking tape, measured off the locations of the neck bolts, measured the location of the strap pin, measured the center line, made an indentation for the bit, and drilled the hole parallel with the neck. I was careful to mark my bits to the depth of the screw, go slowly, and used two bits. A pilot bit, and a bit slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw. When the hole was complete, I rubbed some candle wax on the screw, and heated it with a lighter to melt it on. When it cooled, I removed the tape, and mounted the strap pin. The screw went in easily and tightened without feeling like it was making it's own hole.

Done deal. Looks as good as anything you'd see done by a pro. I've built/repaired/restored drums, so doing this didn't give me the heebie geebies.

Glad I did it. I like the way the guitar feels this way as opposed to it hanging with it connected to the neck. Even as a newbie, I could tell the difference. At least I have options now.

• Members

I know I'm late in here, but the weight of my arm on the top actually changes the pitch of my guitar if I use the tied at the headstock method.

Button for me, back of the heal....and the red rubber ring from a grolsch beer bottle to stop the strap slipping off!

• Members

I know I'm late in here, but the weight of my arm on the top actually changes the pitch of my guitar if I use the tied at the headstock method.

Button for me, back of the heal....and the
red rubber ring from a grolsch beer bottle to stop the strap slipping off!

See that's what I like about beer drinkers, very crafty/innovative bunch of people. :thu:

Trina

P.S. All of my steel strings gits have strap button except my Guilds; I was told I would void my warranty if I put one in. Oh, my Yammy doesn't have a strap b. she had to many cracks in her heal for me to risk putting one in.

• Members

After reading this thread, I went ahead and put one on my Seagull since I had one from a set of strap locks. Seagull has a nice PDF on their site that shows you exact measurements of where the neck bolts are, and where the dowels are, and exactly where to put the strap pin. I have a set of calipers, so it was really a piece of cake.

Could you provide a link to the pdf? I searched the Seagull site and was not able to find it.

• Members

OK, I did a little test last night on my big ol' Ibanez Dreadnaught.

I have a simple Levis leather strap and the git has both front and back pins. I have been using the pins. Last night I put the front of the strap on the neck with the cord aft of big E and between B and little E.

The git was in a much more playable position for me. Still undecided which way I'll go on my Larrivee OM3 but will start with a strap and decide from there.

• Members

Anyone install a strap lock button on the heel of their guitar?

I have a set of Dunlop strap locks / buttons. I was thinking about installing one on my Larrivee. I'm not sure if the strap lock would work well at that angle......

• Members

I could never understand people who attach their strap on the peghead. It's just so uncomfortable but some do so it must be ok for them. It seems to pull funny on the neck but I know of nobody who had a neck warp because of it (then again, I know of nobody who attach their strap that way ;) ).

If you do put a strap pin at the heel of the guitar, make sure to make a small hole to the right size for the screw. you don't want to split your heel... Also get a strap lock (Schallers are good)

My .02

• Members

I use strap locks, and it is placed on the heel of my Martin and Yamaha. Mine is in the classic position (treble side of the neck), as shown in the Frets.com picture

heel.JPG

I also have strap lock on the end of the guitar, situated next to the endpin. My endpin is also the jack for the pickup and I do not trust it to hold the guitar. Straps simply don't fit correctly and it has hit the ground as a result.

• Members

I use strap locks, and it is placed on the heel of my Martin and Yamaha. Mine is in the classic position (treble side of the neck), as shown in the Frets.com picture

heel.JPG

I also have strap lock on the end of the guitar, situated next to the endpin. My endpin is also the jack for the pickup and I do not trust it to hold the guitar. Straps simply don't fit correctly and it has hit the ground as a result.

Thanks. I prefer the security of strap locks.

The forum bought me a Larrivee OM-03R at the end of August. It came with a nice leather strap. I've been putting off installing a strap button. I think I will do it this weekend.

• Members

Thanks. I prefer the security of strap locks.

The forum bought me a Larrivee OM-03R at the end of August. It came with a nice leather strap. I've been putting off installing a strap button. I think I will do it this weekend.

Hudman...I'd like to see the leather strap you got. Link? Pic?

Also, I contacted my dealer who sold me the Larrivee OM-03...said to stop by and he would put a button on for $4...off I go to the doctor...

• Members

I just installed a heel button yesterday on my gigging guitar. Tying on to the neck was a pain, for all the reasons mentioned--guitar body hangs in a weird place, strap gets in the way, etc. I also managed to get the strap tangled up in my tuning machines at least once, which required I stop and retune.

It took me about 2 minutes, I had an extra strap button sitting around from when I replaced the tail button with an endpin jack, and it was really easy. If you've got a plastic neck heel cover, I'd say it's not even worth 5 bucks to have someone do it for you--it's that easy.

• Members

Two of my acoustic guitars don't have pins on the neck heel and one does (from the factory - Alvarez). I use Martin strap buttons rather than tie the straps on. I don't believe that attaching a strap behind the nut is going to do any damage but I'm more concerned with the tie coming apart which is why I use the strap button - it's cheap insurance. You can see it at Sam Ash (or other places). Link is here:
Martin Guitar Strap Button

m18ashkbl.jpg

:)

Archived