Guitar strap: Strap button versus tied to headstock?

Walt Pilcher

• Members

My new Greg Bennett D 1 CE has no strap button on the neck heel so I use a strap that ties around the headstock above the nut (under the strings), which works fine. However, a friend told me that over time playing it that way will put too much torque on the neck, causing the neck to warp or break. Is this true, and should I get a strap button installed on the neck heel?

Thanks.

• Members

Personally I'd rather not find out the hard way, and I'd go for the strap button just for comfort. I imagine the impact would probably be minimal, but if it did do damage, it might be tricky to reverse with the truss rod, seeing as how the tension would only be on one side of the neck, and the neck would be bending to the side, as opposed to straight back (which a truss rod turn could fix more reliably).

• Members

My experience is that straps tied to the headstock do not work out well. when the headstock is used as the attachment point, the guitar tends to "hang" in a much different position than when a button is attached to the heel. The heel button centers the body of the guitar on your torso, which is how it is generally positioned when sitting down.

But with the attachment at the headstock, the guitasr tends to to "hang" with your torso in the center of the entire guitar (it is shifted considerably to the right). This is not a comfortable position for most players and it places the pick guard further to the left than where you actually play.

• Members

I can't see that having the strap going to the end of the neck is going to cause it to warp. I mean how much tension is applied through the strings? 72 odd pounds? If a guitar neck is going to warp under the forces applied by the strap its going to do the same under its own weight.

Phil

• Members

I'm of the opinion that tying the strap to the headstock might not be bad for the guitar, but there is no way that it is good for the guitar. I tend to err on the side of caution. Plus I find that having a button at the heel is more comfortable (see Totamus' post above).

I installed one on my beater a few months ago. Really easy to do, and I had a couple of spare buttons off my electric after installing straplocks.

-A

• Members

I always tie my strap to the neck, seeing as how none of my guitars ever had a strap button. I have not heard of any case where that would warp the neck. If that was the case, you would think the neck would warp just from sitting in the case or on a stand all the time since there is a bit of extra forward pressure on the neck. I mean, acoustic guitars hardly weigh anything, so there is not much force there to warp the neck.

Just my two cents

Dan

• Members

I am apparently one of the few who tie my guitar strap to the headstock on all of my guitars. If I don't, the guitar ends up getting away from me and I constantly have to adjust to keep the guitar in playing position. I have done this for the last 10 years or so and I have never had a problem with any of my guitar necks warping. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but I strum very percussively and I have yet to see, feel, or hear any damage at all.

• Members

I always tie my strap to the neck, seeing as how none of my guitars ever had a strap button. I have not heard of any case where that would warp the neck.

Me too. And a TON of people tie their straps to the headstock, so if what your friend said was true, a lot of people would be having issues with their guitar's necks.

But, like totamus said, a lot of people are more comfortable with a strap button. So I guess its really up to you.

Ellen

• Members

Richard Thompson both pays more and plays more than I do, and across the globe. He attaches the the strap to his acoustic guitars above the nut/below the strings.

I will humbly submit that until I am a better acoustic player than R.T. that that will then do me too.

... but I would so much love to be in a position to put him right ;)

• Members

I wouldn't worry about it so much. The reason it may torque the neck would be because most people hang on the guitar a bit. That is not good if it is attached to the headstock. But, to put a button on is not the world. You just have to put in a set screw to start it, then put in the button. They cost around 80 cents.

• Members

Back when I tied my strap (instead of using a strap button on the neck heel), I tied between the E and A/B and high E, so that the strap wasn't in the way of my playing in the 1st position...

Nowdays, it's easier for me to use the strap buttoms...when I switch from 6-string to 12-string, I just unhook the guitar, leaving the strap over my shoulder, and hook on the next guitarr I'll be playing...a trick I learned from this guy named Kris Kristofferson. :)

As for it hurting the guitar, no way! Folks have been putting straps there for a few centuries, at least!

• Members

Two of my acoustic guitars don't have pins on the neck heel and one does (from the factory - Alvarez). I use Martin strap buttons rather than tie the straps on. I don't believe that attaching a strap behind the nut is going to do any damage but I'm more concerned with the tie coming apart which is why I use the strap button - it's cheap insurance. You can see it at Sam Ash (or other places). Link is here: Martin Guitar Strap Button

m18ashkbl.jpg

:)

• Members

I think it's just personal preference- I find tying at the headstock much more comfortable when standing. It's not quite the same position as playing while sitting down, but then, I'm not sitting down!

The little Planet Waves Quick-Release ties make it much more convenient than having to tie a string or anything like that- they have a little clicky catch, like you'd have on a rucksack.

• Members

I wouldn't worry about it so much. The reason it may torque the neck would be because most people hang on the guitar a bit. That is not good if it is attached to the headstock. But, to put a button on is not the world. You just have to put in a set screw to start it, then put in the button. They cost around 80 cents.

If you put a button on, ALWAYS drill a starter hole first. You can split the wood by just using a wood screw, set screw, or any other type of screw. If you are uncomfortable drilling a hole in you guitar, then have a luthier do it.

The trick is selecting the right size bit. The way I do it is to select a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the shank of the screw. the shank is the solid part from which the threads protrude. this generally winds up being a bit that is in the neighborhood of half the overall diameter of the screws threads.

Drill the hole deep enough for the entire screw. Dont over tighten!

Archived