Yamaha FG-200

newpicker

• Members

Hi Folks.

Really need some advice here.I want to buy a Fg-200,was the switch to

Taiwan a bad thing any difference to the guitars sound?.

When it gets to labels,red blue tan,round square,my head is beginning to

hurt.

So bottom line.what year,what label do I look for.

In your opinion which circa would be the best.

I have a Resonator,57 sivertone archtop,so the yamaha will be the straight

ahead strumming and picking guitar.A tad dropped D work.

Better still Know anybody who wants to cut a good example loose.

Kind regards

newpicker.

• Members

If the FG200 is in any kind of good or better playing condition it's a keeper unless it needs neck reset, then I'm not so sure, but then it wouldn't be in any kind of good or better playing condition.

Use this wizard to id the year. Input the serial number which should be on a brace inside and just to the front of the sound hole. Your guitar was built between '72 and '76 according to the Yamaha Guitar Archive.

• Members

Both OGP and Dak have very good points. The most desirable Yamies are the red label (there were also yellow and green, I don't know anything about them). Like any old guitars the thing to look for is overall structural condition - even more so with these because a neck reset is very problematic. So when you go shopping take a 24" straightedge with you and carefully measure the neck angle - if it is not acceptable pass on the git. (You can do a quick and dirty check if the action is acceptable AND you have at least 1/8 inch of saddle sticking out you are probably OK).

Some other minor points - the tuners on my FG-150 were junk, I replaced them with some nice vintage Grovers (T.B. on the forum turned me on to them), mine had a pickguard coming loose which buzzed badly (took a while to figure that out). I still have the original plastic nut and saddle in mine, but it is a wonderful sounding old guitar that just seems to keep getting better.

I also had an FG-230 12 string that was everything that could be bad about a guitar - the action was so high it was like trying to fret the Golden Gate Bridge. Wish I had known how to measure neck angle when I bought it.

Good luck with your shopping - these are incredible little gits.

• Members

Like any old guitars the thing to look for is overall structural condition - even more so with these because a neck reset is very problematic.

When buying guitars from this era, considering its condition is more important than the labels and stuff. And also, like folks have been saying, if you love the guitar then you should get it, regardless of the label or where it came from.

If, however, you're buying off eBay or Craigslist for instance and you're faced with a choice of what Yamaha to buy, ask the seller to run through the measurements on Freeman's "Is My Guitar Sick?" sticky. This will help you approximate the condition of the guitar and determine whether or not it needs a reset or something.

Ellen

• Members

If, however, you're buying off eBay or Craigslist for instance and you're faced with a choice of what Yamaha to buy, ask the seller to run through the measurements on Freeman's "Is My Guitar Sick?" sticky. This will help you approximate the condition of the guitar and determine whether or not it needs a reset or something.

Ellen

It is no longer a sticky but is permently enshrined in the Tech section of the Annex. And since Newpicker is new here, the Annex can be reached by clicking on the pink thingie in my sig or a sticky at the top of the main acoustic page. Enjoy some music by Ellen, Dak, Garthman and others, and find some great links to references, including the one by Bryan Kimsey on buy an older Martin (pertains to any guitar). And, oh yes, the "Is My Guitar Sick" classic LOL

• Members

For straight ahead "strumming and picking" an FG series Yamaha of any era can't be beat. If you like it's sound and how it plays and it's a good deal don't hesitate to get it. You will find quite a few Yamaha FG users here and they will more than likely advise you the same way
;)

Regards,

OGP

Thanks for that OGP,already made contact waiting for a reply.

• Members

Both OGP and Dak have very good points. The most desirable Yamies are the red label (there were also yellow and green, I don't know anything about them). Like any old guitars the thing to look for is overall structural condition - even more so with these because a neck reset is very problematic. So when you go shopping take a 24" straightedge with you and carefully measure the neck angle - if it is not acceptable pass on the git. (You can do a quick and dirty check if the action is acceptable AND you have at least 1/8 inch of saddle sticking out you are probably OK).

Some other minor points - the tuners on my FG-150 were junk, I replaced them with some nice vintage Grovers (T.B. on the forum turned me on to them), mine had a pickguard coming loose which buzzed badly (took a while to figure that out). I still have the original plastic nut and saddle in mine, but it is a wonderful sounding old guitar that just seems to keep getting better.

I also had an FG-230 12 string that was everything that could be bad about a guitar - the action was so high it was like trying to fret the Golden Gate Bridge. Wish I had known how to measure neck angle when I bought it.

Good luck with your shopping - these are incredible little gits.

Thanks,

Looking forward to meeting one in the flesh,they have a great reputation theres alot of em out there.Including one for me.Ready to play the blues

• Members

Thanks,

Looking forward to meeting one in the flesh,they have a great reputation theres alot of em out there.Including one for me.Ready to play the blues

Daklander, Babablowfish, and T.B. on this forum all play one form or another. If you go to the Annex and listen to the String and Pin tests in the Tech section there are a few clips of mine (no songs tho). And if you really want a laugh, there is a picture of mine when new and 35 years later (I think it is on the second page)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1800240

Because the action is starting to creep up on mine I normally keep it in open C with a special mixed set of strings - one of these days I will have to deal with the neck angle (they can be fixed but it would not be worth paying someone to do it).

• Members

Hi and Welcome! The whole Red Label thing is more of a collector's issue than an indicator of quality. The guitars that came out of Taiwan were great as well. I have had Red Label Nippon Gakki Yamahas and Taiwaniese Yamahas and they were/are all great. My FG-340 is made in Taiwan and it is my favorite (not best) guitar.

• Members

Hi and Welcome! The whole Red Label thing is more of a collector's issue than an indicator of quality. The guitars that came out of Taiwan were great as well. I have had Red Label Nippon Gakki Yamahas and Taiwaniese Yamahas and they were/are all great. My FG-340 is made in Taiwan and it is my favorite (not best) guitar.

+1 :thu:

Hey welcome newpicker. :wave: Please let us know if you get the FG-200 and pics are mandatory. :D

Trina

Here's some pics of my beloved FG-150

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/gowes/Trina%20Guitars/011.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/gowes/Trina%20Guitars/Groverbacka.jpg

• Members

+1
:thu:

Hey welcome newpicker.
:wave:
Please let us know if you get the FG-200 and pics are mandatory.
:D

Trina

Here's some pics of my beloved FG-150

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/gowes/Trina%20Guitars/011.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/gowes/Trina%20Guitars/Groverbacka.jpg

Yours is pretty.

Here's mine.

l_0e0fbaffea4dded630296f3b9f530044.jpg

It's been around the block a time or two.

• Members

For straight ahead "strumming and picking" an FG series Yamaha of any era can't be beat. If you like it's sound and how it plays and it's a good deal don't hesitate to get it. You will find quite a few Yamaha FG users here and they will more than likely advise you the same way
;)

Regards,

OGP

+1

The FG series Yammies are pretty good gits. They sound very nice and are affordable. Lots of bang for the buck.

Welcome to HCAG. Glad to have you here.

Archived