Nylon Strings on a typical steel-string dreadnaught

goodluckinjail

• Members

1) You will need to widen the treble (E, B and G string) nut slots a little to accomodate the thicker nylon trebles (the bases are very similar widths to steel strings). Use a small piece of folded, fine grade emery cloth and take it slowly - file a bit, test how the string fits, etc.

2) You will probably need to slacken off the trussrod by about 1/4 turn anticlockwise to get the correct neck relief to allow for the lower tension of the nylon strings but fit the strings first and see how it plays - then if the neck needs adjusting just slacken off the D and G strings to get at the trussrod socket.

3) If the guitar has bridge pins (rather than a pinless, tie-on bridge) you will need to use ball-end nylon strings (or tie some knots at the end of the strings)

I have one of my dreadnoughts fitted with nylon strings and it's probably my most-played guitar. Good luck.

• Members

I am not an expert, but, if the action is low on the guitar, you may need to raise it for the nylon strings. Nylon strings come to pitch under less tension so they are easier to play, but that also means that they vibrate with more amplitude when plucked/picked/strummed. So if you do the conversion and you get string buzz on the frets, be prepared to raise the action by either replacing the nut and saddle, or by shimming.

• Members

Sure you can do it, but it's gonna be pretty quiet in comparison to having steel strings on it too. Have you considered putting a set of "silk and steel" strings on it?

http://www.jpstrings.com/brstring.htm#Silks

I'm after the nylon sound, see. It seems these 'silk and steel' strings would match the comfort of nylon strings while maintaining the steel string sound :cry:

• Members

Incidentally, the action on this guitar is the main reason I decided to put nylon strings on it. Too high, such that I don't even play it anymore, in favor of my old Tradition from back when Tradition used to make acoustics. That thing's a dream to play
:love:

Should be fine in that respect, I think, and if not, I don't play it anymore anyway. The worst that could happen is I end up not playing it again.

I'm after the nylon sound, see. It seems these 'silk and steel' strings would match the comfort of nylon strings while maintaining the steel string sound
:cry:

OK, to each their own I suppose. If the guitar's hurting you and you don't like the tone though I'd say it's perfect justification for GAS! At least, that'd be my justification to my wife, but the checkbook would have to agree too! ;)

• Members

A rousing success! The guitar is fun to play again and all is well in the world.

Excellent! That was exactly my reaction when I converted mine a few years ago (despite everyone saying it would be crap). I'm pleased for you and I hope the guitar gives you as much pleasure as mine gives me.

• Members

Incidentally, the action on this guitar is the main reason I decided to put nylon strings on it. Too high, such that I don't even play it anymore,

Just a thought, goodluckinjail: if the action on that guitar is a bit high - and assuming the neck relief is correct - it's probably because the bridge saddle needs adjusting (as a guide, the gap between the top of the 12th fret and low E string should be approx 4 - 5mm for nylon strings).

It is a very easy job to do yourself: just slacken off all the strings, slide out the saddle, hold a piece of sandpaper flat on a firm surface and sand off a little of the base of the saddle by rubbing the saddle back and forth on the sandpaper. Make sure you keep the base flat against the paper. Take off about 1mm, refit saddle, retune and see how it plays. Repeat proceedure if nec. The worst that can happen is that you will take off too much - if you do that you can always just replace the saddle or put a shim under the existing one.

It's worth doing this - a well set up guitar is so much nicer (and easier) to play.

I'm after the nylon sound, see. It seems these 'silk and steel' strings would match the comfort of nylon strings while maintaining the steel string sound
:cry:

I know what you mean - I like the nylon string sound too. BTW, I don't know what strings you have fitted to your dread but, FWIT, I use high tension strings on mine - they give a brighter sound with abit more volume than standard tension.

• Members

I put some nylons on my Yamaha FG-75. After reading this thread, I thought I tune her up again to see if the sound had improved. Nope, the sound still sucks.
:(

Trina

Sorry it didn't work for you Trina. I think you probably just like that steel string sound or maybe the FG-75 construction just doesn't lend itself to nylon strings.

Perhaps you should get one of these:

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%25253D60023%252526CTID%25253D600023%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

For the other folks - I'm glad you like the conversion. I did it a few years ago and really liked the sound - play my nylon string dreadnought a great deal.

• Members

Sorry it didn't work for you Trina. I think you probably just like that steel string sound or maybe the FG-75 construction just doesn't lend itself to nylon strings.

Perhaps you should get one of these:

For the other folks - I'm glad you like the conversion. I did it a few years ago and really liked the sound - play my nylon string dreadnought a great deal.

Thanks Garth. I changed over to nylon strings in hopes it would make my li'fg-75 more playable, her action is high. This particular steel string folk model is based on a classical guitar shape/size. I think you're right when you said, My "FG-75 construction doesn't lend itself to nylon strings". Oh well, Freeman suggested a while back, I make this my slide guitar.

Trina

• Members

Thanks Garth. I changed over to nylon strings in hopes it would make my li'fg-75 more playable, her action is high. This particular steel string folk model is based on a classical guitar shape/size. I think you're right when you said, My "FG-75 construction doesn't lend itself to nylon strings". Oh well, Freeman suggested a while back, I make this my slide guitar.

Trina

Trina, your situation sounds like mine. My beater is still an essentially good-sounding git, but is a nightmare to play. The high action is horrible - blisters guaranteed in 5 minutes. Tried nylon strings on it, among others, and it lost too much tone. Nor was it easier to play. I always wanted to learn to play slide, so now I have the perfect candidate for a "bottlenecker" or boat paddle.

BTW - Earlier this week I read you were getting a cast off your arm. I'm fairly new to the forum and don't know the circumstances of your injury, but do want to say I hope all is well and that your arm is returning to full usefulness.

• Members

Well now, Trina & Samilyn, I have to ask the question: why don't you lower the action? It is very easy to do - see my description in post #11 above. Unless your guitars need a major setup (which isn't really very difficult either) it will be well worth doing.

PS. And, sorry Trina, didn't know you were poorly - get well soon.

• Members

Well now, Trina & Samilyn, I have to ask the question: why don't you lower the action? It is very easy to do - see my description in post #11 above. Unless your guitars need a major setup (which isn't really very difficult either) it will be well worth doing.

Well, Garth, it's like this:

In the case of my beater, there's not much that can be done. If the saddle gets any lower, it'll be flush with the surface of the bridge plate. That git has a LOT of problems, including being in dire need of a neck reset. Additionally, it has several cracks in the side, one of which is about 4" long running just above the binding.

To make matters worse, somewhere along the way, some idiot tried to enlarge several of the nut slots or maybe tried to make a new nut from a blank and did a horrible job. Looks like the slots were cut with a chain saw.

There is also evidence in the form of sloppy glue overflow that the bridge has been re-glued or replaced at least once. The pin holes are of different diameters, as though the idiot tried to make adjustments of some form. Given that, this git does have a propensity toward slinging pins across the room at inopportune moments.

This beater is just that - a beater. Perhaps it was a real nice git when new. There are some nice features, such as pretty binding along the neck sides, but the poor thing suffered quite a bit of abuse before I obtained it. It was not a high-end git to begin with, so I won't spend more than a few bucks on it. I'll let it live out its usefulness as a slide axe. As I've said before, it really does sound decent, in spite of all its flaws, so I'll have fun learning how to play slide on it.

Maybe someday I'll attempt to learn how to do advanced git repairs, in which case, the beater will become my lab rat, so to speak.

• Members

The action is so high on this guitar, we could play the Limbo game. Her bridge has already been sanded down once, and though I was willing invest in a neck reset for my FG-150, my FG-75 ain't worth it - besides, I fear my Luither/tech guy would runaway. I'm doing well, thank you so much for the well wish. :) Here's some pics of the old girl.... my new slide guitar! Now I gotta go out and buy one of those bottle/tube thingamajigs. ;)

003.jpg

007.jpg

Trina

• Members

.... your beater is nowhere near as bad a beater as her beater is.....

LMAO. Now there's a fun tongue-twister for us! Try saying that quickly, three times in a row. ;)

Trina's beater isn't bright blue, either.

When I bought new strings today, I looked at a chrome slide. Nope. Decided to get glass due to some zany reasoning:

If I'm ever stupid enough to get my finger stuck in it, one hammer, 2 shots of Tequila, and some-bunchteen sutures will cure the problem right quick.

Hey, if Ellen can get a whistle up her nose, ain't no telling what manner of havoc I can wreak with a glass slide after a pint or two of good brew. :freak:

• Members

Hey that was only once and I was very tired.

But a classic in the making, nonetheless. Something to give your grandkids the giggles in later years. And I'm not saying that like a put-down or anything, so please don't take it the wrong way. Such antics are a large part of what makes life so much fun.

Archived