Car wax on guitar?

naboutboul

• Members

Is it okay to use car wax to shine up my guitar? I figured it'd be safe on the urethane lacquer. I'm just wondering if I can do it, and if so what parts of the guitar. Should I avoid the back of the neck or the fretboard? Sorry for the lame questions, I'm new to all this.

• Members

No, don't use any wax.

Waxless car polish and elbow grease are the answer.

Meguiar's Scratch X followed by Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Polish step 2.

Those have worked for me in the past.

Avoid the fretboard and bridge.

I assume this is because you want to polish your finish to a semi-gloss?

• Members

Many have done this to their satin-finished guitars and from what I understand there's more to the process than just shining the existing finish. Don't ask me why, but here's a couple of links with pics that spells out just one of many different processes:

http://www.tomyoungguitar.com/OrsinoizingPage.html

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=12830.0

• Members

No, don't use any wax.

Waxless car polish and elbow grease are the answer.

Meguiar's Scratch X followed by Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Polish step 2.

Those have worked for me in the past.

Avoid the fretboard and bridge.

I assume this is because you want to polish your finish to a semi-gloss?

Listen to this man. I've heard bad things about wax that contains silicates. I can't remember what exactly but I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

• Members

What happens with silicone is, it possibly affects the glue, does affect the finish and will certainly make it more difficult for the glue or new finish to adhere later on if you need repairs.

I've also heard that it can affect some materials used for bindings, purfling and inlays. That may or may not be true but the problem with silicone polishes affecting the ease of refinish or re-gluing is.

A good, silicone free auto wax can be used on an electric guitar and I would think would work well on a poly finish. I don't know about a nitro finish but my thinking is because it's lacquer a good pure wax should be ok as well. There is actually quite a bit of conflicting information out there, particularly with nitro finishes. Some actually call for using Pledge furniture polish and if I'm not mistaken that has silicone in it.

• Members

But if you do it and it works (or even it doesn't), please post pics.
:)

When I get home tonight (gotta love working Saturdays) I'll try to take good pics of my GS4.

I glossed the back and sides (it had a gloss top) and I'm quite happy with the results.

Nearly as shiny/clear as the factory done top.

• Members

If you are talking about buffing a satin finish to be "semil gloss" Moctzal has the proceedure - here it is described a little better.

http://p082.ezboard.com/Buffing-Out-a-Satin-Finish/ftheunofficialmartinguitarforumfrm19.showMessage?topicID=35.topic

If you are talking about shining up an already glossy guitar, opinions vary, but most people say whatever you use (car wax, furniture polish, etc) do not use silicon products. The last issue of Taylor's Wood and Steel explained that silicon will make any repairs to the finish (or glue) almost impossible in the future. However it was interesting that W&S kind of contradicted itself and recommended an auto polish that does have some silicon.

I have buffed one guitar and like the results - I clean all my guitars with a damp rag (sometimes a bit of the Martin spray on stuff but I really don't know how good it is) and I've never used car wax.

• Members

Car wax on guitar? Is it okay to use car wax to shine up my guitar? I figured it'd be safe on the urethane lacquer. I'm just wondering if I can do it, and if so what parts of the guitar. Should I avoid the back of the neck or the fretboard? Sorry for the lame questions, I'm new to all this.

No wax is best. Just play it more often. :)

• Members

In the pure wax category, Carnuba is the hardest wax and beeswax is the softest. Beeswax is traditionally used to protect fine antique furniture, but I haven't a clue as how it may react with nitro or poly finishes.

But again, if a repair is ever needed, any kind of wax would be almost impossible to remove 100%, thus having the potential to interfere with a solid repair.

• Members

Use a microfiber cloth. Cleans your glasses and your guitar. Cheap and safe. Not a polish, but safer than adding any chemicals (or sand) to your guitar.

+1 Especially when it comes to my acoustics, I have no real need to shine them up any more than a cheap little microfiber cloth can do. They're easy to come by and get all the little smudges off. Plus I carry mine around because like Sparhawk says, it keeps my glasses useable!

Ellen

• Members

I use the spray lemon pledge. I've been using spray furniture wax ever since they have been out in a can. Only way to go. You can also get it in orange and some other smells. No kidding, I love this stuff!

+1

I even use it to clean my helmet and motorcycle after a ride.

Archived