Artec AGE-TN vs. Fishman Classic IV

cableman

• Members

Hi all. I just bought a Morgan Monroe M-25ce-v for use on stage and it came with an Artec AGE-TN pickup/preamp instead of the Fishman Classic IV that was advertised. The Artec has a very accurate on-board tuner, which I like, but I'm concerned about the sound. I'm not sure if I should simply return it, or try it out. But I won't really know until I get it to stage volume. I run my acoustics through a Fishman Aura (which is awesome, by the way), so I'm thinking it will be OK, but just wondering if anyone has experience with this system. I really like the guitar, and if I send it back, I'll just get a little newer one with the Fishman Classic IV. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

• Members

Havent really heard anything about Artec, but it is REALLY nice to have an on-board tuner. I have a fishman premium plus-T and love it. There is no mention of the "Classic" series on Fishman's web site. I suspect it is their low end product that produced at a Chinese factory under license (just a guess). The Artec looks like a nice unit. If it were me, I would try out the Artec and see if I liked the sound. If I did, I would keep it to retain the onboard tuner. A good Artec might even be better than a low end Fishman. Again - speculation.

• Members

OK, so I tried out the Artec last night and I was very disappointed. If I pushed the volume past about 3 on the guitar, it started to distort badly. This baby's going back. They said they'll replace it with a new one with the Fishman Classic 4T (with built-in tuner). Keeping my fingers crossed. I really like the guitar, but no way I could use it on stage with the Artec electronics.

• Members

OK, so I tried out the Artec last night and I was very disappointed. If I pushed the volume past about 3 on the guitar, it started to distort badly. This baby's going back. They said they'll replace it with a new one with the Fishman Classic 4T (with built-in tuner). Keeping my fingers crossed. I really like the guitar, but no way I could use it on stage with the Artec electronics.

The fishman I have has the built in tuner - you will be very happy with it I suspect.

• Members

The classic 4T is a pretty decent little setup really. Breedlove uses it on all their Atlas series acoustic/electrics. Martin even uses it on some of their lower end models. I've played a few guitars with them and they sound pretty nice for an undersaddle pickup (though I really do prefer soundhole or sbt pickups in acoustic guitars).

Archived