dents in finger tips

terryJB

• Members

Ive only been playing acoustic for about 2.5 yrs but have good callouses on the tips. My problem is that these days after about 30 mins practice i get deep dents in the callouses that cause fret buzz. The guitar is properly set up with a medium to lowish action, and I use 10 guage D'adarrio strings (light). Any ideas about how to remedy this, or will the callouses eventually get thicker and problem solved. Cheers and thanks in advance. Terry

• Members

occasionally I have had to trim callouses when they got a bit raggedy.

Vary your playing. If deep dents are occurring, maybe you're playing the same thing or the same fingering over & over. Mix it up. The other advantage is you'll likely learn a new tune or two in the process.

• Members

I take a pumice stone to my callouses once or twice per week. I play a lot, so mine tend get real thick and hard, or raggedy and unsightly.

Just give them a light smoothing during a shower when your skin is well hydrated, then follow with a good hand lotion. You'll still have callouses, but they'll be more pliable.

And yup, drilling the same stuff over and over again will do it, too. Great excuse to learn something new.

• Members

I get the dents in my fingertips as well, but I don't notice any buzzing with that. I don't usually do anything to keep my callouses up, like some of the other folks have mentioned. Maybe you just have really low frets on your guitar, and when you fret one with your dented fingertips, the string just doesn't touch the frets?

Dan

• Members

I get the dents in my fingertips as well, but I don't notice any buzzing with that. I don't usually do anything to keep my callouses up, like some of the other folks have mentioned. Maybe you just have really low frets on your guitar, and when you fret one with your dented fingertips, the string just doesn't touch the frets?

Dan

I had the same thought (and the same experience). I don't know why else you'd get fret buzz because of the callous grooves. You shouldn't have to mash (to use a southern term) the strings down that hard to avoid buzz unless action is high or frets are low.

Scott O

• Members

I take a pumice stone to my callouses once or twice per week. I play a lot, so mine tend get real thick and hard, or raggedy and unsightly.

Just give them a light smoothing during a shower when your skin is well hydrated, then follow with a good hand lotion. You'll still have callouses, but they'll be more pliable.

And yup, drilling the same stuff over and over again will do it, too. Great excuse to learn something new.

I use 600 grit sandpaper. After a while, I can't feel the top 2 strings

sometimes.

• Members

My fingertip callouses are deep and denty. I am proud of them. They never got like this in the old days, when I didn't play much. But they never give me fret buzz...and if they did, I guess I would go the sandpaper route--or a nail file/emery board might be easier to handle.

Or splurge and go get a manicure--I actually got the first one of my life a couple of months ago (it was a gift). Very relaxing because of all the hand/forearm massaging.

• Members

Anybody else notice he's using 10's? Isn't that awfully light for an acoustic?

Not for a 12-er, Denver. .010 is not uncommon - just depends on who the stringmaker is. D'Addario lights come with .010, but Martin's ultra-lights come with a .011.

But I can't speak for what's most common on 6-ers, can only guess that .011 is most common for light gauge 6-er sets.

• Members

There are some 10's out there, though I can't remember who makes them. Good for a beginner who has never played a guitar. I strung my brother's guitar with 10's because he wouldn't play his guitar much since they hurt his fingers. 10's were the lightest guage acoustic strings I could find. To me, they feel like I'm playing an electric guitar, they're so light. He seems to like them. Good enough for now until he actually starts getting into it. Sad thing, I think he gave up already. He's one of those people who wants to know how to play the guitar, but doesn't want to put forth the effort to learn. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Dan

• Members

Thanks to all for the responses. You are correct in that it is mostly when I am learning a new song, and "drilling" the same pattern over and over again. I guess I will take the advice offered and mix it up a bit more. Re the 10's i have a Walden natura that is incredibly loud so the 10's are to quieten it down a bit especially for the lower strings. Thanks again for the tips. Terry

• Members

Thanks to all for the responses. You are correct in that it is mostly when I am learning a new song, and "drilling" the same pattern over and over again. I guess I will take the advice offered and mix it up a bit more. Re the 10's i have a Walden natura that is incredibly loud so the 10's are to quieten it down a bit especially for the lower strings. Thanks again for the tips. Terry

I am willing to bet your string buzz has more to do with those ultra light strings. Your guitar was set up at the factory with 12's. Your 10's are placing less tension on the neck, thus reducing neck relief. Slap some 12's on it or get a set up done on it for the 10's you are using.

I have permanent grooves in my middle finger and in my ring finger. I never had a frett buzz problem from them.

• Members

Hey! I use 10's. Every string maker carries them: Martin, D'Addario, everyone.

You people leave us 10 gauge users alone. If you all want to string your guitars with fence wire that's your problem.

You know the rules - whenever guitar men get together we must talk about the thickness of our strings! ;) (I play tens as well)

Phil

Archived