Sign in to follow this  
happy-man

saw blade for cutting nut slots

I was going to order a saw blade for the next time I make a nut. I don't need it right now, but wanted to have one on hand.

I previously used fine files and torch tip cleaners to make a bone nut. That worked ok for E,A,D,G, but I wished I'd had a saw blade for the B and E slots. I see that the blades come in 0.012 and 0.010 inch widths, fine and extra fine teeth, push and pull cut, and different depths. My guess would be to get a 0.012 inch extra fine blade. Anyone use these have a suggestion? I was just going to get a blade without a handle like the "X-ACTO X239 Extra Fine Razor Saw Blade".

Here is the site I was looking at:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/hand-saw

Scott O

I have 0.010 and 0.020 saws from StewMac, but I don't know the number of teeth per inch. I use the 010 to start all the slots, then finish with the right sized file. The saw blade is square on the bottom, the nut files are rounded.

Thank you for responding Freeman. I went and ordered both a 0.010 and a 0.012 saw blade. The torch tip cleaners I have are ok for rounding the bottom of the slots, but the thin ones are - well - thin. You don't want to try to use them to remove much material.

I was actually online to order a magnified visor and saw that the company also had these saw blades. I'd never used a magnified visor before, but I was wiring some electric guitars for someone and he had some of these things:

SCB1-MP242C.jpg

worked marvelously for these 46 year old eyes.

Scott O

Yeah, you're better off with a v-shape slot than a flat one. Rounded is better than v, because it doesn't bind. You could start the slot with thhe saw blade and finish the bottom with the rolled edge of sandpaper, or wrap it around a credit card.