$120K Archtop

Stackabones

• Members

Wasn't D'Aquisto a student of D'Angelico's? When D'Angelico died, D'Aquisto finished the former's works-in-progress and then began his own derivitives of D'Angelico's designs. IIRC, that's the story. D'Angelico made guitars that are also worth $$$$$$.00 if they haven't been scooped up and placed into vaults and onto portfolios.

• Members

Something tells me the pics do not do it justice. Although I am sure it is no doubt a beautifully crafted instrument I am not a big fan of that type of sunburst. I bet it sounds marvelous though.

$125,000 for it? I don't have a fixed address and already live on ramen noodles and canned mini-ravioli so I think I'll pass....:freak:

OGP

• Members

Wasn't D'Aquisto a student of D'Angelico's? When D'Angelico died, D'Aquisto finished the former's works-in-progress and then began his own derivitives of D'Angelico's designs. IIRC, that's the story. D'Angelico made guitars that are also worth $$$$$$.00 if they haven't been scooped up and placed into vaults and onto portfolios.

That does sound familiar... :thu:

For that kind of scratch, I'd want an original Stromberg, though...

10863Strombergguitarfront.jpg10863Strombergguitarbodyfront.jpg

10863Strombergguitarpegheadfront.jpg10863Strombergguitarbridge.jpg

10863Strombergguitartailpiece.jpg10863Strombergguitarfhole.jpg

• Members

Sweet, Terry. I like a more subtle burst but we are talking vintage so my opinion has no place here. Yea, D'Aquisto began modernizing the archtops away from their traditional looks. Hence, the F-holes as illustrated in Stacks link are gone completely. D'Aquisto did very nice work, IMO. I have an illustrated book of guitars I keep at work - for sanity checks - and his works and Stromberg's are illustrated in it.

Archived