It's Larrive time--the dreadnaught, the OM or the "L"

pharmboyjoe

• Members

That's a tough call.

I previously owned an OM-03 (mahogany sides and back) and an L-03. I liked both of them but was forced to sell them for financial reasons.

I currently own an OM-03R. I like it better than the OM-03 and L-03.

• Members

Another OM-03R owner here, though most folks over at the Larrivee forum sing the praises of the L in mahogany, rosewood or sapele. I guess it depends what style and techniques you employ on a regular basis, but I've always though of the LV-03RE as a very well-rounded guitar. I gravitated toward the rosewood OM for comfort reasons but could have easily chosen a hog L o LV.

BTW, Hud - is it me or does the OM-03R sound similar to the mahogany L-03?

• Members

BTW, Hud - is it me or does the OM-03R sound similar to the mahogany L-03?

The OM-03R has a little better bass response than the OM-03. It is similar to the L-03 in the bass department but the OM-03R has a more complex tone.

• Members

I own the OM-03 and the L-03R

The L has a bit more volume and can strum a little better(IMO). But, the OM has a great fit in the hand for it's size. It could be the rosewood offers the sound difference in the L vs. the OM. They both play great.

I would reccomend either but with the rosewood for sides/back.

You will be happy.

• Members

I use to have an L-03 (mahogany) and currently have an OM-03R. The L had a bigger, bolder voice. Not far off from a good dread. It was crisp and clear, with a healthy thump in the bass. The OM-03R is darker, richer and has a more complex sound. Obvious rosewood/mahogany distinction. Still, a good bass response for a smaller guitar.

If I could only have one, I would probably go with the L (maybe in rosewood this time). To me, it is more versatile--little better for more agressive strumming and still very responsive for fingerstyle.

• Members

I've only played one or two D's - a D-05 and IIRC a D-09. Neither sounded remotely like a Martin dread. Both had LOTS of midrange in comparison, with the hog 05 having more "clarity" (note separation) so that when played aggressively (a la The Who's "Pinball Wizard") it really cut through all the noise in the music store's showroom.

Still, when I think dread I think Martin - particularly the HD-35. The D-28 may be the standard but I'd take that D-05 over it any day.

• Members

I own an OM 03.....I bought it after playing every OM and L (both mahogany and rosewood) in a relatively large guitar store....the one that I bought was the best sounding one in the store....I can also tell you that every one sounded different!....for a short time, I owned a D 03RE.....plugged in, it sounded alright, but unplugged it sounded just awful....it might as well have had a towel stuffed inside...tried different strings - still awful...made ebay food out of it......guess what I'm trying to say is don't go by anyone's generalities when choosing a Larrivee....go out and play as many as you can and choose the best sounding one that you can find!

• Members

My local shop has ordered an OM-03 and a L-03, and allege that they'll receive them at the end of March. I'll either take one of them, or, possibly, the L-03R that they have in stock. I was really impressed with the D-03 they had in stock. Too bad that I don't want another dread, or that would've been my next guitar. I hope the OM-03 and L-03 are set up as well and sound as nice.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

...I'm leaning toward the L-03R....

Thanks for the input
:D

As has been alluded to here, there will be some variance between guitars of the same model. IMO it has nothing to do with QC in as much as strings, environmental conditions, how well the shop takes care of their displays - even how long it hangs on the wall. I honestly believe that the longer the guitar is in a shop, the better. At first they sound tight, but after 2-6 months they just seem to open up.

BTW - ditch the tusq saddle and factory strings ASAP. IMO they do nothing

for the tone of the guitar and a switch will bring about a striking and enjoyable difference.

• Members

Lets say money was no concern. I'd like to have a Larrivee collection:

L-10 with awesome inlayed headstock like a goddess.

00-50 mahogany for a parlor guitar.

D-50 with the right strings. Rich boom

LVS-11E

Larrivee LSV-30 classical

70's custom model

and my good ol' L-03 for a beater.

This would all be kept in a wall display behind a large sliding glass door in a humidity controlled environment. The custom accent lights would rotate some blue and red hues over a 2 minute cycle. Each guitar would be set in its own burgundy velvet custom molded platform.

• Members

LVS-11E

70's custom model

This would all be kept in a wall display behind a large sliding glass door in a humidity controlled environment. The custom accent lights would rotate some blue and red hues over a 2 minute cycle. Each guitar would be set in its own burgundy velvet custom molded platform.

I didn't win the lottery either:wave::wave:

• Members

LVS-11E

70's custom model

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

• Members

LVS-11E

70's custom model

That's quite a list. :thu:

I'd love to have a hog-top OM one of these days, but they're rare and not getting any cheaper. I'd love to get a shot at a 000-50 as well. Then there's the L GAS that plagues me.

Let's not forget the Martin HD and Epi Masterbilt AJ GAS too. I'm doomed! :(

• Members

That's quite a list.
:thu:

I'd love to have a hog-top OM one of these days, but they're rare and not getting any cheaper. I'd love to get a shot at a 000-50 as well. Then there's the L GAS that plagues me.

Let's not forget the Martin HD and Epi Masterbilt AJ GAS too. I'm doomed!
:(

I do believe that they've made some sapele top guitars lately (in the past 6 months). Those might be worth a look?

• Members

I am a newbie, so I do not have a lot of experience to chime in with but I went through trying to decide between the OM or the L........

I bought the OM-03, Allthough I am just llearning to play, I have tinkered with many guitars in the last 30 years (Both in shops and with friends)

The OM-03 I bought is really super comfortable for me, it rally feels good in my hands. When I was fighting this choice it was pointed out as always user preference (Gee that really helped, when in my case I had to order blind without seeing, feeling, playing any of the models) But what was also pointed out to me several times, If you are sitting around playing the OM will be the most comfy and suitable, if standing or group play then the L or the dread......

Of course do you want 1 11/16 or 1 3/4 nut or is it not important to you?

The OM and the L are 1 3/4

Of course of not much additional help in decision making, They are all nice and you really will not get a bad guitar which ever way you go.

I will say my OM really impressed me the quality of the build, the tones are really nice and the sustain just goes on and on.

Good Luck, anxious to see what you end up doing!

Tim

Archived