Zager Guitars - Awesome?? or Overrated??

Buck62

• Members

Now that I'm thouroughly discourage from plunking down any kind of bucks for a Zager, the question remains would it have sounded like junk compared to my Larrivee 000-60 Traditional 12 fret?  I only ask because I do soooo want a cutaway for those fancy licks. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I own a Zager ZAD900ce. This guitar is far from garbage. It is all solid woods. Impeccable inlay and curly maple binding. The Fishman Aura pickup system which is $500 by itself. Is some of the work done overseas? Yes. So what? The question should be is the work and materials used worth the price they ask for the guitar. In my opinion it absolutely is. The tone and playability rivals guitars that cost hundreds and sometimes thousands more. I’m not going to put it up against a $6k Bourgeois but it only cost 1/3 if that so let’s compare apples to apples. It’ll hold its own with any Martin or Taylor, Larrivee, Breedlove, etc. You have to get into boutique guitars to find better and for the money I don’t believe there is a better guitar in its price range. Yes, playability is one thing but playability without tone, projection and balance means nothing. This guitar has it all, craftsmanship, sound and playability. Play one before you critique it. Otherwise you sound like an idiot. It’s hard to justify an opinion on something you have zero knowledge about.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi All, 

New here. I don't quite understand the upset with "reviving a thread", is that painful for some people? Ah, I got an email about that 5 year old thread, my day is ruined! 😁

Anyhow- I am trying out a Zager ZAD900CE the same one "Gahtadreem"'s was talking about in a recent post. 

Why did I buy it?- I liked the looks first of all, as well as the PRS A60E, which I also considered. But I also liked the Fishman Aura Pro that was onboard the Zager. I saw all the negative press, but decided to try it anyway as it had all the features I wanted.

I have had it for only 4 days, but so far I REALLY like it. It is a nice looking guitar, it sounds much better and richer than my $300 Epiphone, and the Aura pro is cool. I downloaded the images that Fishman provides, which are essentially high resolution EQ profiles  (if I understand correctly) obtained by playing that exact guitar and recording it with various high quality microphones (They have 6 profiles for the ZAD900). It adds versatility to the sound the guitar can make when plugged in, supposedly more like a mic'ed guitar.

The strings do not seem "extra" light gauge to me, and as supplied I don't find the guitar any easier to play than my Epiphone. After playing it for several hours, my finger tips hurt! But, I have not had it set up either. 

I am worried that I am being ripped off in some way, due to all the negativity! The wood looks good, the guitar sounds good. I don't care about resale value, I'm almost 60, and am not worried about "cashing it in" at some point. Is it going to fall into pieces or something? As some said- So what if it is made in China, Russia, East Kamenogorsk, whatever, why do I care?

And that is a question- Am I getting ripped off somehow? So far, I can't see it. You angry guys, what's the problem?

in conclusion- So far so good! I want to add to positive comments about the guitar as there are so many seemingly angry bashers. I do recognize they have odd claims and advertising. Anyway, I will likely re-post if I decide to keep it and get it set up by a luthier. If old thread revival is causing psychological stress for some, I apologize in advance.

Jimbo

Edited by Jimbo776
Corrected spelling

• Moderators

Welcome, N0oBz...this thread dates back to 2008, so most of the folks who posted are long since gone from here.

The main reason Denny's guitars were getting slammed was that no one could go out and compare one, side by side with other guitars in the price range; you had to 'buy it to try it', which apparently ticked off a lot of folks. Yes, they do pay return shipping, but what a hassle, right?

Like anything else, if you bought it, and you like it, then that is all that truly matters.

Forget the corksniffers [and there are plenty of them] and naysayers. Opinions...well, everyone has one, sometimes about things they really know nothing about.

Not everyone is comfortable taking a $2500+ guitar out on a $100 gig...I know I'm not, which creates the niche for instruments like the Zagers, Andrew Whites, etc. They are certainly 'giggable' guitars, and what the hell else is a guitar good for?:wave:

• Members
5 hours ago, daddymack said:

Welcome, N0oBz...this thread dates back to 2008, so most of the folks who posted are long since gone from here.

The main reason Denny's guitars were getting slammed was that no one could go out and compare one, side by side with other guitars in the price range; you had to 'buy it to try it', which apparently ticked off a lot of folks. Yes, they do pay return shipping, but what a hassle, right?

Like anything else, if you bought it, and you like it, then that is all that truly matters.

Forget the corksniffers [and there are plenty of them] and naysayers. Opinions...well, everyone has one, sometimes about things they really know nothing about.

Not everyone is comfortable taking a $2500+ guitar out on a $100 gig...I know I'm not, which creates the niche for instruments like the Zagers, Andrew Whites, etc. They are certainly 'giggable' guitars, and what the hell else is a guitar good for?:wave:

This

My first guitar I played for like 2 years. I got it free from the next-door neighbor. I'm not sure I could even play it if I still had it. It was a like a classical, but with steel string.

One day the whole top just spilt off the the sides. With my Saturday lesson comin up I took some wood glue and glued it back down. I loved my Saturday morning lessons.  

Eventually I bought a new acoustic, Made by Kent ( Gibson Hummingbird Copy) and took 2 more years of Saturday lessons. That Kent sounded huge, compared to what I was playing.:D 

Years ago I was in a shop in Amherst MA. A guy was comparing a few  pre war Dreadnought Martins. I asked him which one he liked better, and he didn't know. I asked which one plays better and he said they kind of feel the same. I said they pretty much sound the same too. The price tag was more than my car. :bounce022: 

These day 100 dollar gig can be the norm. It's pretty sad and kids don't seem to go out any more. I guess musicians are competing with Nintendo and Play Station. Plus online stuff like Fortnite.  Plus a 6 pack of beer at home.

Different world now.  I had never heard of Fortnite until I was subbing at a local HS. Never owned a video game. 

When I was a kid my neighbor who was in a band, he would tell me that his band pulled in over a grand for a nights work. He was the bass player and played a Gibson EBO and an Ampeg SVT. He's dead now and smoked and drank himself into an early grave. My wife's ex husband, was a keyboard player in the rival band. My wife says the day they sold the Hammond  B3, with the woo woo woo speaker ( said honey it's called a Leslie Speaker) was the second happiest day of her life. The happiest day of her life is probably when her divorce was finalized. That kind of puts me some where inbetween but below those events. 

20 years later she meets me, another musicians. I told her girl, your a glutton for punishment. Some of my first words I said to my wife were, what's the name of your cute friend you with.:bounce022:  

My buddy goes, you know that blonde, well she's really interested in you. I was like oh.

I had just ended another relationship with another nut job.

My wife and my dog drive me nuts every day. We have been together for almost 30 years. I was the chosen one.

All in a all, musicians are a crazy pack of wingnuts, when it comes to gear.  What folks think is awesome, is a mystery at times. I once owned a Danelectro U2 (Beatnik Burgundy), folks love em and I hated the thing. 

My main electric guitar when played out didn't cost much.  The guitar in my HC prifile is a Godin 5th Ave. I was at a trade show when they came out with the ones with no pickup. I was thinking that this guitar needed a pick up. The guy at the booth said we have those coming. Kind of sounds like a ES 125 at times with a slightly hotter pup.

I'll plug mine in to a Gibson Goldtone Les Paul Jr amp or a Fender Princeton RI. Now in MHO the Princeton is the most over priced amp these days. Not when I bought mine, but today.:freak:

Just some idle chit chat for this evening.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Overrated at best!  Own a ZAD 20e/VS that has no voicing and very little sustain.  I also have a Martin HD28, Gibson Songwriter, Taylor , Guild, Takimine pro, Blueridge, which are all good sounding guitars.  The Blueridge, which is a Chinese made guitar, was a delight as it has a great voicing like a Gibson and good base like a Martin.  I was hoping the Zager would be the same or better, but it was a complete disappointment.  The sound is dull with very little harmonic sustain.  I tried different strings but they were no help.  I will say on the positive side that they have a good hardshell case though.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I have had a Zaeger Zad 50 for 5 years now.  I also have a Taylor 214 CE that I bought 2 years ago,  and a Martin Sigma that I bought back in 1983.  The Taylor has the best sound, the Zaeger is easier to play than the Taylor and the Martin, and it sounds great, but doesn't sound as good as the Taylor.  The Martin Sigma sounds great and plays easy, but I like the Taylor sound better. The Martin also has more volume than the Zaeger.  All 3 are very nice guitars, all have been professionally set up.  The Zaeger claims about being easier to play, from my experience are spot on true.  Not as loud as the Martin or Taylor, so not a great campfire guitar, but the Zaeger does have a great sound too.  The Zaeger also sounds great plugged in.  The Zaeger is easier to play than any acoustic I have owned and played, including an Epihphone and Alvarez that I had in the late 1970s, but no longer have.  When I am learning a complex, difficult song, I really appreciate the Zaeger.  Much less finger strain, really smooth to play, and I master difficult things faster with it.  If you are getting up in age like me, have a little stiffness, or just want a guitar that is easier to play, I would recommend that you try one.  If you don't like it, I think they give you more than 30 days to ship it back at their cost, no questions asked. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 2/10/2022 at 11:18 AM, Jimbo776 said:

Hi All, 

New here. I don't quite understand the upset with "reviving a thread", is that painful for some people? Ah, I got an email about that 5 year old thread, my day is ruined! 😁

Anyhow- I am trying out a Zager ZAD900CE the same one "Gahtadreem"'s was talking about in a recent post. 

Why did I buy it?- I liked the looks first of all, as well as the PRS A60E, which I also considered. But I also liked the Fishman Aura Pro that was onboard the Zager. I saw all the negative press, but decided to try it anyway as it had all the features I wanted.

I have had it for only 4 days, but so far I REALLY like it. It is a nice looking guitar, it sounds much better and richer than my $300 Epiphone, and the Aura pro is cool. I downloaded the images that Fishman provides, which are essentially high resolution EQ profiles  (if I understand correctly) obtained by playing that exact guitar and recording it with various high quality microphones (They have 6 profiles for the ZAD900). It adds versatility to the sound the guitar can make when plugged in, supposedly more like a mic'ed guitar.

The strings do not seem "extra" light gauge to me, and as supplied I don't find the guitar any easier to play than my Epiphone. After playing it for several hours, my finger tips hurt! But, I have not had it set up either. 

I am worried that I am being ripped off in some way, due to all the negativity! The wood looks good, the guitar sounds good. I don't care about resale value, I'm almost 60, and am not worried about "cashing it in" at some point. Is it going to fall into pieces or something? As some said- So what if it is made in China, Russia, East Kamenogorsk, whatever, why do I care?

And that is a question- Am I getting ripped off somehow? So far, I can't see it. You angry guys, what's the problem?

in conclusion- So far so good! I want to add to positive comments about the guitar as there are so many seemingly angry bashers. I do recognize they have odd claims and advertising. Anyway, I will likely re-post if I decide to keep it and get it set up by a luthier. If old thread revival is causing psychological stress for some, I apologize in advance.

Jimbo

I appreciate your post.  My questions are:

1).  Zager claims their guitars are made (assembled not designed or inspected) in the US!  Are they?; 

2). Do Zager Parlor e guitars, which the company says have a mahogany tops, sides, backs and necks, have SOLID  mahogany tops, sides, backs and necks?  If not which of their parts are solid mahogany vs. laminated or layered mahogany?; and 

3). Re: pricing, let’s just take their Parlor e model, which I believe they claim is made in the US and has a solid mahogany top, back, sides and neck. It’s on sale for $$795 including a case plus fee shipping.  A made in China Yamaha CFS3M with a solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides, but with a nato neck and urea instead of bone sells for $620 plus tax. The Yamaha electronics on the CFS3M are inferior to the Zager.  It also comes with a cheaper gig bag.  So is the Zager Parlor e over priced relative to the Yamaha CFS3M?  Is the Yamaha CFS3M better, equivalent to or inferior to the Zager than the Zager Parlor e? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought one a few months ago. Price was good and I am mostly pleased. Get a little bit of buzz on the G sting when capo'd but not real noticable. I think it sounds great through my fishman loudbox. Body is a bit ugly, cutaway looks clumsy. Suprised to see so many negatives, but you guys probably know more about guitars than me. They do offer a full refund including return shipping, so if you are displeased, send it back.

My BIG complaint is, now that I have purchased on, please stop blowing up my email with ads and offers for more guitars.

• Haha 1