Zager Guitars - Awesome?? or Overrated??

Buck62

• Members
They're made by Sigma so probably decent though I think the extra light strings are a big part of the equation/science but I'd be curious to know if they are built with lighter bracing specifically for the extra light strings in order to still sound decent.

I believe so since Zenny Dager has been quoted ( a while ago) as saying that putting light gauge strings on one of his guitars would void the warranty.

• Members
Zager has a simple formula:

Start with an average $200 Pac Rim guitar, something like a Samick.

Lower the action.

Put on extra light strings.

Mark the price up a couple of hundred percent.

Represent this product as a miracle of modern science and craftsmanship, worthy of the exorbitant price.

Exploit all available media resources to build this image by flooding them with fake endorsements and false praise.

Nuff said. :-)

I endorse Zager guitars. And I have come to praise them, not vilify them.

Chew on this Mr.Fret Fiend:

--------

"In the year 4545

You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes

You won't find a thing to chew

Nobody's gonna look at you..."

----

They won't be looking at you because they won't have eyes Fret Fiend. But even so, that Zager guitar warranty will still be good. Mr. Zager himself will be there to back it up. How far out into the eons will your Martin carry you Fret Fiend? Not very damned far I'd bet. But Denny Zager will be right there, taking care of his sightless, toothless customers.

How many million selling records did Christian Fredrich Martin have? Not even one. So I rest my case.

Edited by Etienne Rambert
  • Like 1

• Members

Looks like Etienne Rambert is also a Zager guitar owner. I think both of us know that FretFiend is the real shill in this case. I went online and found a dealer that sells Larrivee as well as Norton guitars, both great guitars. This site has soundbites of fingerstyle as well as strummed for each guitar. I listened to lots of them, and even though some sounded really good, they all cost more than my Zager 80 and none sounded any better than my Zager. I have desided to actually play a guitar before I put my money down (except for the Zager 900 because of the warrantee) to actually see how they play. I'm certain I'm right in my assumption about Zager because I went to the expert reviews on this site and they speak for themselves. I just put new strings on my Zager last night and it sings so I'm headed to have some fun. If you haven't tried a Zager 80, why not try one, there's nothing to lose because they are the only company that stands behind their guitar with a money back warrantee and will pay shipping both ways. I was hesitant about buying my 80 online, but I'm glad I did. As stated before, I sent my OM model back because I wanted more volume from my guitar, and they sent me the larger 80 and paid shipping both ways. I have never had, or expected , such excellent service. They have definitely EARNED my respect.

• Members
blah.gifdeadhorse.gif

... I've got better things to do than argue over guitar's' date=' so I'm gone. Best wishes to all. Nuff said😃[/quote']

Looks like you lied about having better things to do, and being gone too. And now coming back just to troll. Shame shame shame. cop.gif

Wait. Let me guess.idea.gif You don't know what a troll is either.

I imagine many here find your posts entertaining, if nothing else.

Maybe Valentsgrif will come to your defense.

Here's a pretty good video about Zagers. http://tinyurl.com/2fcpre6

Etienne, look what you started.

Edited by FretFiend.

• Members

Looks like you lied about having better things to do, and being gone too. And now coming back just to troll. Shame shame shame. cop.gif

I imagine many here find your posts entertaining, if nothing else.

Here's a pretty good video about Zagers. http://tinyurl.com/2fcpre6

:facepalm:

• Members

Heard my ears tingle and I just knew it was Frettie and a Zager thread!

I've owned a Zager longer than I've been a member on here (and stated my opinion numerous times), but jeez, even I think this guy is an all time transparent troll.

I'll buy that Taylor off ya Bob, and throw in my beloved Zad 50.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

Been playing 50 years; I've owned classic Guilds,and Martins. Now I play a Zager ZAD50E. The tone is as good or better than the classics(I think better). The Fishman electronics are exceptional. The playability is the best though.  Plays like an electric, and rings like a grand piano.  

The quality of construction is some of the finest I've ever seen.

They're not hype... They are the real deal, and match or exceed the big boys.  

That's my opinion. I love them. Take it or leave it.  I don't care.

• Members

I created an account a couple days ago, as a TGP refugee (how's that for irony?)

But I think I'm going to use my power as a newbie to say, from my knowledge of SEO, Z*ger is probably the shadiest, most morally reprehensible final form of the modern guitar company.

The fact that they charge 600-700$ for their rebranded, 300$ corts, complete with Boomer-friendly "EZ Play" - Get it boomers, it's easy to play? Remember when you tried to learn guitar, but it was so hard (😢)?  Well now, it's EASY.

*Impressionable boomer who doesn't understand how things work, pops "Z*ger guitars" into his google machine, and is utterly BOMBARDED with positive reviews*

And that, is how it goes.  Every time the Z word is typed, because of their criminal-mastermind level of SEO, it becomes yet another predatory sale.

• Members

SEO knowledge is useful for some things but it does not ferret out the distinctions between the people who have a desire to play the acoustic guitar, or more importantly, the reasons why they have that desire.

The acoustic guitar is not easy to play. There are people who try year-over-year to achieve certain satisfying skills with the acoustic guitar but, usually due to a lack of everything required to gain that skill set, it remains elusive. Denny Zager knows that.

Zager eliminates the one key physical thing that impedes motor skills development and that's manipulating the acoustic guitar. He makes it physically easy to play and that in turn garners a market share of sales. Simple truth is many people are turned off by the playability of factory-produced guitars that have high action. Martin is among the worst for that because their philosophy is the player will make the changes to suit him. This assumes the player is a player and not a noob needing something that doesn't task him from the outset. Denny Zager knows this. He answers the noob's needs up front.

I've read many Zager reviews by people claiming years of experience with the acoustic guitar, naming high-end makers and then contrasting them as distant seconds to Zager's guitars for playability, followed by championing the sound and quality as being equal to or better than (insert name brands here). The message in those claims is they are not experienced players. They are noobs who have been noobs for many years and will probably always be noobs. But, they have discovered an easy playing guitar like it's a vein of gold running through their property and are vocal about it, not realizing they are also publicly admitting their inexperience with the instrument but overtly claiming the opposite. The tween-lines drama tells the real story and Zager knows this is marketable. Smart guy.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Zagar does not have country of origin on the guitar  because the base of the guitar is made in China and then Bedazzled & sold for a premium. The owner is not a guitar builder. 

That is what the general public needs to know before they are parted with their money.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

So having seen many of these forum conversations in the last 10 years here is my take:   Zager is an effective and successful salesman.  His guitars are probably not exactly what he advertises but are pretty far from trash.  Seems like guitar snob types cry the hardest about the whole thing.  Other forum dwelling lonely bandwagoners join in.   All the while my guitar still sounds great and gets more compliments about that sound than the other much more expensive guitars of the guys I play with.   No shill here just own and play one.  90 percent of you who bitch can’t say that. 

• Members

Best thing for n00bs to do is go shopping with an experienced player.

Look: I learned on an Aria 12 string strung for 6, using extra-light gauge strings. Not the easiest neck for a beginner, and the action and intonation were mediocre at best. It didn't stop me from learning. I doubt a Zager would've made my journey any more pleasant. I loved that guitar and played it from Rocky Raccoon to Purple Haze 4 years later. Granted, a decently setup guitar will be better for the beginner, but if the will is there, smewhat irrelevant.

• Members

Passing thru here to get an eye on the AG forum it's good to see Denny is still popular. There was a time when I parroted every holier than thou negative comments ever conceived for posting on these various forums about the man, and I thought I was a member of the club in good standing on the right side of evil. But, I digress.

At some point in Denny's experience playing acoustic guitars he decided to take into his own hands the job of making his guitar play the way he wanted it to. I can't remember how many times I've taken my own to store techs for set-ups that were never exactly how I wanted them when I got them back. So, I began getting them where I wanted myself. I think any self-respecting guitarist will eventually make attempts to do that.

Denny probably got good at setting up his guitar to the extent that he saw an opportunity to turn a buck on his skills by buying up cheap guitars, making them easy playing and offering them for sale with a mark-up to cover his work. My last set-up cost me over 100 (USD) by a good tech. If Martin, et al, offered the same thing a wild guess suggests their businesses would blossom and people would be happy to pay the up-charge.

Denny got it right but guitarists find him guilty of charging a premium for his work, free shipping and a no-questions-asked return policy. However, they would not squawk paying for the same thing from a technician, minus the shipping. Guitarists tend to be kinda odd that way about Zager for one simple reason - he doesn't make the guitar.

On an aside, I've had people tell me I have a nice car and I thank them with a boast that I made it myself. Why in the heck does anyone compliment someone on the car they drive knowing they had absolutely nothing to do with its design and build. I'm going use a 2-hole toaster as a hood ornament and apply a Mercedes star to it just to preempt the obligatory insincerity.

Denny's a businessman and I laud his product. I've never played one. I've never seen a used one in any GC, Sam Ash, M/P store or pawn shop so obviously they're keepers. That's just a guess that owners are satisfied with them.