VOM 2 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, Mar 9, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

Finished the rest of the listening this morning.

Neil. Ain't nothin' wrong with that. Very nice playing. Great job in difficult circumstances.

Pschaafs. Great tone. Great pickin' as well.

Verence. Definitely getting better, and the second, eg'd verison, :thu:

Garthman. I think I'll top off the Guinness with a Glenlivets and listen again.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Joe, Thanks for the update and thanks again for your hard work. I'll update my sig.

To answer a couple of questions, the guitar was the Ventura V-6 and the percussion was the floor. The room is over the garage and I've installed hardwood flooring so it works great as a percussion device. The mic stand, though it has rubber feet, was placed on a throw rug to add a bit of muffle and the foot tapping was picked up through the air and vibrations.

Thanks for the kind remarks. I do appreciate it.

• Members

It was morning when I posted that.....but you're right! Time for a Jameson!

Hmmm . . . methinks Jamesons is Irish too. Whiskey with an "e" not whisky without (but very good nevertheless - one of my favourites in fact). At the end of the day, it's all Celtic (like me).

• Members

Hmmm . . . methinks Jamesons is Irish too. Whiskey with an "e" not whisky without (but very good nevertheless - one of my favourites in fact). At the end of the day, it's all Celtic (like me).

Your right, but I don't know any good Scottish whisky other than Scotch, and it really gets to me....con't find the chorrrrrdddsss aftawads.

• Members

I think everyone's done a great job. I've really enjoyed listening through all the submissions. I'll try and have something together for the next round.

:thu::thu: to everyone!!

I'd really like to know how garthman plays with that little critter on his thumb.

• Members

I managed to listen to most of you; still can't figure out how to do putfiles, though. Fabulous jobs; it is wonderful to see what you all can do. It is great encouragement for me to figure out how to record and offer some of what I do to the effort.

I enjoy learning about guitars and offering my 2 cents to the Forum, but it really is all about performing the music! :thu:

Stackabones, thank you for making this happen.

Arizona Ken

• Members

OK, I've listened to maybe the first 2/3 of the submissions and wanted to praise each in turn. Bear with me folks, I got that Adult A.D.D. that I inherited from my kids! They're in bed now so I feel better! ;)

Here's mine. The song's by an Australian musician named Kevin Mitchell, who fronted the band Jebediah and does his solo acoustic work under the name Bob Evans. In one of those small-world connections, he's my sister's husband's mother's sister's son (my cousin-in-law, I guess). I'm in front of a very friendly audience--it's the talent show at the law school where I teach. That actually made me more nervous--I did better this past Wednesday playing at an open mic in front of a room of inattentive strangers.

Anyway, here it is. It's a mp4 video file that plays in Quicktime and in Real Player.

The Great Unknown

WTG, Jeff!

I love the melody in the verse. It's reminiscent of Journey during their heyday - yes, I'm also a closet fan of "The Voice." So sue me, I'm a Gen-X Emo kid. :blah:

• Members

I'm continuing to be humbled by the talent that frequents here. Here's more feedback:

Mrmoe: a 30 year-old recording, huh? Sheesh, I was a lil' bleeding callous newbie at the time trying to learn Deep Purple. I wish I'd have heard this song then as it would have saved me a lot of time wasted on inferior music! *bows in salutation*

Branson: WTG with the OM-03, is it? Love the ambient aire to that piece. I can imagine playing that at 3AM feeling completely mellow yet too centered to even sleep.

Queequeg: ya been away too long, ma frend! Quite the classy piece and it didn't even drive the animals crazy in my little funny farm. You're gettin' there, dude! Keep up the good work! :thu:

c70man: wow, that's smooooth dude! Fingerpicking is hard enough without having to sing along, but that came across as being effortless on your part! :thu:

FussenKuh: that ain't the blues in my book, but thank you for bringin' on da funk! Very Kravitz-esque!!! :cool:

Hud: that was a pretty good take that I only caught via dak's quote. Sure, the recording was quiet but that ain't the point here. It's an open mic and the warts are to be celebrated as are the gems! FWIW, I like the whole Smashing Pumpkins/Soul Asylum vibe there (yeah, I had my grunge phase too) and was wondering what tuning you were in?

Dak: great banter opening up your submission! I don't know if others would object to the non-musical content but I find it an endearing way of connecting with the audience - whether they can respond in kind or not. That's something I need to work on when I get up there in front of actual people. As for the song, it kinda reminds me of my cousin Kyle (who first inspired me to pick up the guitar 30 years ago) and how he "borrowed" my uncle's '72 Nova and drove from NJ to San Fran - only to turn around and settle in Reno. He ended up doing well for himself, but sadly not as a musician.

Markuster: it just ain't an open mic without some Charlie Daniels or Lynyrd Skynyrd! Songs like this make me miss having a mullet!!! :cool:

Scodiddly: I love the New Age vibe to that one! I used to listen to that kind of stuff with some incense burning and the lava lamp lit. I can't get away with that anymore, but thanks for allowing those memories to resurface! :)

happy-man: I found myself humming along with that one without remembering the original. I actually like this version better - it kinda puts me in a happy place that kind of looks like your lanai there! I wish I could take a dip in that pool there! BTW - that Taylor sounds niiiiice and full! I take back all the "tinny" comments I've ever made about them!

bobc: nice groove to that one! It reminds me of many jam sessions I used to have with my high school buddies up in the Poconos when we were half in the bag and full of Gennesee and Domino's. What part of PA are you in?

Verence: good first attempt. I don't know what you're afraid of, unless you're trying not to wake up someone in the next room like I tend to do. Just let it belt out next time, it sounded fine!

garthman: love that tune! I'm not too up on traditional music from the UK but I love the imagery it evokes.

Phew!!! That was a lot of listening and I managed to get it done before the Witching Hour hit! For those of you who couldn't dip your toes in the pool, next time don't worry the water's warm. Jump right on in if you have the means!

• Members

I'm continuing to be humbled by the talent that frequents here. Here's more feedback:

Hud: that was a pretty good take that I only caught via dak's quote. Sure, the recording was quiet but that ain't the point here. It's an open mic and the warts are to be celebrated as are the gems! FWIW, I like the whole Smashing Pumpkins/Soul Asylum vibe there (yeah, I had my grunge phase too) and was wondering what tuning you were in?

Thanks for the kind words, but I was having serious issues with a hissing static sound that droned in and out. I wasn't sure what I was going to record when I set up the mic. I decided to make a test recording to make sure everything was working right. The clip is High and Dry by Radiohead. It's in standard tuning. The older clip is 316 from Van Halen. It's also in standard tuning. I recorded it with my old L-03 strung up with a new, squeaky set Martin SP PB's.

I decided to delete my post here and start a new "Recording Problems" thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916793

I used the advice given in that thread to eliminate most of the hiss. The sound quality is weak because I had to lower the mic input level. I made a couple new test clips and posted them in the thread for comparison.

• Members

Dak: great banter opening up your submission! I don't know if others would object to the non-musical content but I find it an endearing way of connecting with the audience - whether they can respond in kind or not. That's something I need to work on when I get up there in front of actual people......

Thanks Neil. I figure since this is an open mic I'll chat a bit at the beginning. The majority of folks I see at them give a bit of intro and I also chat at gigs if I have an amenable audience and it really gets things going when I really connect with some of them. What's odd is I can normally chat it up with no problems live but for some reason that live mic in a dead room always makes me nervous talking. I gotta get better at that because I have some podcasts in mind.

• Members

A few Final Kudos that I missed yesterday. I got busy updating the off-site storage site and the code for multiple month support and just listened up on the last 4 entries...

Kwakatak: That was a killer version of "Tears in Heaven". I have been trying to learn that one and you make it look too easy. :thu:

pschaafs: Fine little blues riff you got happening there. Thourghly enjoyed it.

Verence: I have never heard that particular tune before so I have nothing to compare it with, but you punched it out well.

Garthman: That was cool, very theme oriented, and you performed it well. :thu:

Again, everybody excellent work. I completely agree with Kwakatak's assessment above when he says that this is one of the really great things happening here. Many thanks to Stackabones for organizing the whole affair. Already looking forward to VOM III !

• Members

Verence: good first attempt. I don't know what you're afraid of, unless you're trying not to wake up someone in the next room like I tend to do. Just let it belt out next time, it sounded fine!

Well, it was late when I recorded it, so yeah, volume was a concern. But mainly my voice just tends to tighten up when I'm recording, or performing in front of people.

I'm workin' on it. Any tips? :thu:

Edit:

I gotta say, having a recording listened to by other people really makes you scrutinize it. I think I'll progress a lot more, and be a lot less complacent, if I continue doing this semi-regularly. :)

• Members

Well, it was late when I recorded it, so yeah, volume was a concern. But mainly my voice just tends to tighten up when I'm recording, or performing in front of people.

I'm workin' on it. Any tips?
:thu:

Don't doubt yourself or your abilities, find that emotional connection to the song and don't hold back. If people offer negative criticism just nod your head and disregard it. Sorry if that sounds pretty simplistic, but that's where my head is at when I let loose and sing and play.

Archived