VOM 2 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, Mar 9, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

I figured out how to get around my putfile problems. Maybe this will work for others also. I've had NO luck previously hearing the putfile stuff on either my WinXP laptop or my Win98 desktop.

I just heard mrmoe. Good Job. Here's what I did. Clicked his putfile link. Waited until browser (Mozilla) said "Done" at the bottom. Then I right mouse clicked on the audio player thing and selected "Properties" It showed a Length of 00:00, but also displayed the Location of the file:

http://uploadfile2.putfile.com/getfile/1202092920video1234sslash6809291290.mp3

I cut and pasted that link in another browser window. Not to try to hear the other putfile songs.

Scott O

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I figured out how to get around my putfile problems. Maybe this will work for others also. I've had NO luck previously hearing the putfile stuff on either my WinXP laptop or my Win98 desktop.

I just heard mrmoe. Good Job. Here's what I did. Clicked his putfile link. Waited until browser (Mozilla) said "Done" at the bottom. Then I right mouse clicked on the audio player thing and selected "Properties" It showed a Length of 00:00, but also displayed the Location of the file:

I cut and pasted that link in another browser window. Not to try to hear the other putfile songs.

Scott O

I've had similar problems with putfile using Linux so I think it's a problem on their end. Sometimes I'd go to the site a day or so later and the link worked.

Today, running Linux all worked well.

Thanks for posting that tip though, I forgot about it.

• Members

Well, the best laid plans etc ... but alas, no VOM submission for me this

time around. My small window of alone time was marred by a table saw

running off and on (mostly on) in the yard next door (renovations).

I was able to access five of the submissions and I have had an enjoyable

listening session -- applause for: "sunflower river blues"; "avalon"; "this

old guitar"; "coral"; and "...to be out of work". Well done!

cheers,

andrew

• Members

Though I haven't posted much this time around, I have been checking in and listening. It's so great to hear some regulars putting up some music, and it's awesome to see and hear some new folks stepping up and contributing. :)

A special note to the "Guests" out there just dropping in and checking things out. I hope you sign up, introduce yourself, do some posting, and maybe even contribute to the next VOM. :wave:

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Kwak, awesome rendition of Tears. You have a really cool right hand technique. Wish I was as comfortable without a pick as you seem to be.

Happy-man, your guitar sounds really great! It's so full. I have to admit that I wasn't expecting it when you said it was a Taylor 110. My experience with them has been that they're pretty thin, but yours sure records well.

And yeah I do get that a lot but it's okay because when I'm 40 I'll look like I'm 30, if my mom is any example. :D

Ellen

• Members

Finally got through all of them! I love our VOMs. :D

pschaafs: Great song for relaxing after a hard day's work. It's getting added to my music library.

Kwak: Great job. Go Nittany Lions!

bobc: Nice. It's funny, I wrote a similar song recently. A blues-y song about my my long-standing love of sleep. Writing simple, fun, songs like that are... well ...fun.

happy-man: A-mazing. The sound quality, playing, and singing are all top-notch. That Taylor sounds positively transcendent. I might have to look into getting one of them "Electret Microphones". Though I doubt it'd improve my playing.

Scodiddly: Love it. It's a bit Nick-Drake-y, but still very unique. And suitably tricky. Color me impressed.

Markuster: I'm not normally a country fan, but I really liked that.

daklander: Love the percussion. What exactly are you doing?

FussenKuh: Funky. "Music to strut to".

C70man: Nice sound for a $5 mic! There's some slight hiss, but it just makes it sound like a cool old vinyl LP.

Queequeg: I love old songs like that, that's some nice pickin'!

bransonb: I liked the way it starts off slow and simple, then builds in complexity. I'm impressed. I wouldn't even know how to begin composing a song like that, but I like it.

mrmoe: Cool song. Is it an original? I looked up the title, but only got links to Kill Bill-related sites.

jeffcoop: Beautiful voice, great picking! Your audience banter is good too.

g6120: Love that song. I think I'll go and learn it after I get done typing this. I gotta' get a recording booth (closet?) like yours. Too much noise in my recordings as they are.

I hope these VOM's continue for a long time. I look forward to hearing you all many times more, and improving myself at the same time. :)

• Members

jeffcoop: What a great song and a great video too! An actual live performance in front of an audience!!

mrmoe: I truly enjoyed your beautiful song! I like how you change up the tempo at the end too.

bransonb: Very captivating instrumental. The only issue I had was distrtortion as if the recording level was too high.

Queequeg: Impressive! Very nice work!

C70man: Very cool tune! I liked the upbeat acoustic blues playing. I did get some distortion on the louder parts though.

FussenKuh: Very cool! That reminds me so much of stuff I play when I'm just fooling around practicing. Awesome jamming!!

darklander: What a great Country tune!!

Markuster: Smokin' rendition of that great Charlie Daniels tune!!

Scodiddly: Wha a beautiful instrumental and a nice clean recording too!!

happy-man: Hey Scott, great take on the Alice In Chains song! I saw them in concert not too long ago!

bobc: Dig that nice bassy riff. Great song!!

kwak: A touching song and you do a great rendition!

pschaafs: That was sweet sounding!!

Verence: Wow has a very Cat Stevens feel to this tune!! Great!!

Only one nitpick in general. I don't like having to download mp3s or videos, it takes a lot of time to do.

I did it for this VOM1T because I really wanted to hear everyone.

More people should use either Soundclick, Putfile or YouTube for posting. Quick and easy

• Members

At work now so can't listen to all this good stuff. I'm also Traveling for work so can't contribute. (No guitar!) I'm and currently on day 10 of no guitar. The shakes have set in. Arriving back stateside either Sat or Sunday and will be making up for lost time.

• Members

Yeah, this is one of the great things that happens here.

I've listened to a couple of the earlier submissions but haven't gotten through the whole list just yet so I won't comment just yet. Things have been a little too crazy and I've been trying to multitask, which they say you shouldn't do. I've also been trying to get through that movie "Once." So far it's pretty good, but I think I need to sit through the whole thing straight to really appreciate it.

• Members

Just got around to listening. You people are awesome. Haven't finished going through all yet, but I will as I have time.

Ellen, what great playing. And you almost played your glasses off your face. ;) Aggravating necessities, aren't they?

Thanks for the time and effort made to share with us. Enjoyable and inspiring.

Bill

• Members

Thanks to everyone again this time around. I'm home resting after an appt. early this a.m. to let the dentist create a crater in my jaw. (Don't wait 'til your fifties to get rid of wisdom teeth folks). Being able to listen to you all helps keep my mind on sweet music. Wish I could eliminate that throbbing backbeat in my temple. You were all blessed with the ability to make music and I'm blessed you share it so freely.

• Members

Takes me forever to listen to these because of my stone-age dial-up connection, but it's definitely worth the wait.

Y'all are simply fabulous!
:thu:

Samilyn,

What is your local phone provider? We have AT&T (BellSouth) and use DSL Lite (756 Kbps) for $19.95/mo. Not lightning fast, but many times faster than dialup, and plenty fast for the contributions here.

Also, if you are in an AT&T area, you may be able to get it for $10/mo. with a one-year commitment. My dad did that in Georgia. Would be worth checking.

Bill

• Members

Really tough acts to follow here gang.

Please forgive the clams and the noise. This was recorded to tape and transfered to the PC for conversion to mp3 though I did take just a tad of the noise out. I'm trying out a modified Jecklin Disk setup and used a pair of cheap CAD dynamic mics about three feet away and this is the first recording venture in what is becoming my music room

The song is a tune that was co-written with a fellow name of Sherin Hartley whom I've since lost contact with. He apparently had a mid-life crisis and disappeared some years ago. His wife, whom I'd never met, wrote me to find out if I knew where he'd gone and I couldn't help.

Anyway,

Dak,

Sorry to hear about your friend, as well as his wife. Pretty sad.

Anyway, loved the song. Thought your recording stuff worked pretty well. What guitar did you use?

Bill

• Members

Took some time to make it through a few more.

Jeff: really sweet playing

Scott Helmke: ditto. Enjoyed it much

Sott O: loved the git and you've got a smooth voice. Would love a "do-over" with a bit more volume on the voice, though. Thanks for sharing.

Bob: no idea about those PJ's; hope you find them.

Thanks to all, and I know I've left out some. BTW, my filter won't let me access putfile and photobucket. Will listen to more later.

Bill

• Members

The Off-Site storage has been updated. It is also now multi-month capable, you can check previous months with the little selector up in the menu bar. The default page is always the latest month. That link is at:

http://ifr-hcag.infocusreviews.com/

It would be cool if we could get VOM participants to carry the link in their signature tag lines to help spread the word about our Monthly VOM. That would help build awareness and encourage new participation.

Great job everyone.

:thu:

Archived