VOM 2 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, Mar 9, 2008

Stackabones

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gooooood morning Stack! I love the bluesy feel of your song. And the slapback echo is pretty sweet too.

Here's my entry into the VOM1T foray:

[YOUTUBE]l2YXS-2wNzI[/YOUTUBE]

It's a song by one of my favorite songwriters, Ben Folds. An interesting challenge was adapting it to guitar, since it was originally written for piano. I'm trying to arrange it as a chord melody/fingerstyle type thing, but that will have to wait for another VOM.

The lyrics are my favorite. I have terrible diction but just imagine they're awesome.

Ellen

• Members

Here's my entry into the VOM1T foray:

It's a song by one of my favorite songwriters, Ben Folds. An interesting challenge was adapting it to guitar, since it was originally written for piano. I'm trying to arrange it as a chord melody/fingerstyle type thing, but that will have to wait for another VOM.

The lyrics are my favorite. I have terrible diction but just imagine they're awesome.

Ellen

Hey Ellen, I like your style! Driving rythmn and passionate performance!! Great stuff!!!

• Members

Hi all

Uk on line - listened to all - really great.

ellen - love the intro to your song.

Microphoneless at the moment so can't partake - but single takes are a speciality of mine. ;) I have some old ones on sound click - including one that will never never never be recorded again.

anyway carry on I'll try to get some for the next time.

Phil

• Members

Off to a great start here. Stack, all-around great work, from composition to delivery. Ellen, your playing and singing have great drive. And g6120, a lovely version of a lovely song.

Here's mine. The song's by an Australian musician named Kevin Mitchell, who fronted the band Jebediah and does his solo acoustic work under the name Bob Evans. In one of those small-world connections, he's my sister's husband's mother's sister's son (my cousin-in-law, I guess). I'm in front of a very friendly audience--it's the talent show at the law school where I teach. That actually made me more nervous--I did better this past Wednesday playing at an open mic in front of a room of inattentive strangers.

Anyway, here it is. It's a mp4 video file that plays in Quicktime and in Real Player.

The Great Unknown

• Members

A tip of the hat to you all who have performed so well today, and all hard acts for me to follow now.

You'll thank me again for not singing.

This is Avalon; an old standard written by Al Jolsen in 1920.

Recorded this moring on a CA GX Performer (unplugged).

Thanks for tolerating.

No animals were harmed in the making of this recording in Studio Q

• Members

Well, got up this morning, had my coffee and decided on something I have been fooling around with for a while....Easter Parade by Irving Berlin.

Of course I stole the bridge from STeve Goodman, but only in parts, the rest is just my fooling around.

Sorry about my morning voice...I kept it to a minimum though...1 verse.

Played on my new/old Guild. Still only using a $5 GE computer mic....one day I'll upgrade to a real one.

P.S. just listened to it...please excuse the sloppy recording...best I got for the moment

http://audio.xanga.com/c70man/ddd5e1967107/audio.html

• Members

I love the idea of VOM! And, without further adieu...

Stackabones- Great little bluesy song you got there :cool:

guitarist21 - Never been a big Ben Folds fan, but I love your acoustic rendition of the song. You got a 5-star YouTube rating from me :thu:

g6120 - Quality cover of a great song :) Thanks for sharing!

jeffcoop - Loved the finger styling :) And the Bob Evans joke ;)

mrmoe - Unfortunately, I couldn't get your submission to play on my computer... I'll have to try again when I have a Windows box at my disposal.

bransonb - Loved the song even if it is still a work in progress... I can't wait to hear the finished product

Queequeg - Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem that I did with mrmoe. Hopefully, I'll be able to see it later.

C70man - Great job! Bonus points for having an Easter theme :thu:

----------------------

With all the great entries, I'll mix in my own attempt at VOM1T. This is just a very simplistic blues thing that I was fooling around with but I liked the sound of it so I though I'd record it.

[YOUTUBE]xfl4D259DY0[/YOUTUBE]

I think I bested C70man's mic... mine came as a free accessory 10 years ago with the purchase of my old computer... and the webcam isn't much better. Don't be too harsh ;)

• Members

A tip of the hat to you all who have performed so well today, and all hard acts for me to follow now.

You'll thank me again for not singing.

This is
Avalon
; an old standard written by Al Jolsen in 1920.

Recorded this moring on a CA GX Performer (unplugged).

Thanks for tolerating.

No animals were harmed in the making of this recording in Studio Q

Nice to see you Q! This place loses a few style points when you are away. Nice job!

Stack - smooth old school feel with a modern old school theme (being broke ;)).

Ellen - lot of passion and nice pick work on the Masterbilt (way to show those dread guys that you can get great tone with a pick and a heavy hand on an OM :thu:).

Gil - you are an old pro at this stuff.

C70Man - cool blues.

FussenKuh - rocking blues on a Masterbilt.

mrmoe - Nice 1970's vibe straight out of the 1970's. Cool.

Sorry if I missed anyone. Great job all around. :thu:

This is cool stuff. I plan to get a recording up later today.

Archived