Is the "Bajosexto" the same thing than a 12 strings guitar?

danuniversal

• Members

Is the "Bajosexto" the same thing than a 12 strings guitar?

Yes, altho usually tuned differently. The one that I saw was nylon strung - not sure they all are. Los Lobos uses them - there was an article in AG a year or so ago about the instruments they used and as I recall the Bajosexto was discussed.

• Members

Yes, it's a 12-er, but with some differences to the more common paddlehead 12-ers you're probably familiar with.

The tuning is the similar to a regular 12-er with the primary difference being the top two pitches. Tuning for the bajo sexto is octave E, A, D, with unison G, D, F.

In other words, with the bajo sexto, what would be high E on a regular 12-er becomes F and what would be B becomes D.

Bajo Sextos are slotheads and have a sharp pointy cutaway. I have also seen pics of a few with double cutaways, looking kinda like a pair of horns. Not very pretty, IMO.

• Members

Yes, it's a 12-er, but with some differences to the more common paddlehead 12-ers you're probably familiar with.

The tuning is the similar to a regular 12-er with the primary difference being the top two pitches.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the baxo sexto, in addition the the differences noted, was tuned in unison across the board rather than octave tuned as are the lower 4 pair on the American 12 string, along the lines of other Mediterranean developed or influenced double course instruments, such as the mandolin and bouzouki.

Clif

• Members

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the baxo sexto, in addition the the differences noted, was tuned in unison across the board rather than octave tuned as are the lower 4 pair on the American 12 string, along the lines of other Mediterranean developed or influenced double course instruments, such as the mandolin and bouzouki.

Clif

I honestly don't know, but unison across the board would not surprise me. After all, alternate tunings are commonplace in the git world.

I only learned the tuning I mentioned. It's also interesting to note that "Bajo Sexto" is Spanish for "lower six" which describes that particular tuning.

• Members

I wasn't too clear. I meant that the pairs were unison tuned, although I understand that Emy Lou uses a tuning which is essentially all As (Gold Star tuning?) with the exception of the 3rd string, which is tuned to E. She says it sound like a dulcimer....................YOU THINK???????????????? :lol:

Clif

• Members

I wasn't too clear. I meant that the pairs were unison tuned, although I understand that Emy Lou uses a tuning which is essentially all As (Gold Star tuning?) with the exception of the 3rd string, which is tuned to E. She says it sound like a dulcimer....................YOU THINK????????????????
:lol:

Clif

Like a dulcimer? That kind of stretches my imagination a bit. :lol:

• 11 years later...
  • Members

So it seems like you guys know a lot about this so I just want a plain acoustic guitar however with the look of all the Bajo Sexto ones out there....anyone know where I can find one...or any Latin look on an acoustic? If you guys know of any I’d be very happy to hear of them

Archived