Best strings for an Ovation A/E???

kimona

• Members

I want to change the strings on my son's Ovation Applause AE28.

Right now, the strings are super lights because the previous owner was mostly into electric guitar and amplified effects.

My son is just learning and is only a strummer. What is a good string that will give him the sound he likes... a deeper, more mellow sound?

I want to get this done today if possible, before he gets home from school.

• Members

Well, it's up to you and your son really. Personally, I prefer the sound of light strings and they are certainly easier to play than medium and heavy gauge. A friend of mine plays A USA Balladeer which is also a shallow bowl and he uses 10's too.

Perhaps try 11's as a compromise? - still easy to play for a beginner but they will sound a bit fuller and you probably won't need to adjust the neck relief if you onlygo up one gauge.

• Members

Head for the git shop and get his git setup in addition to buying new strings. A good setup works minor miracles and new strings always sound great.

A well set up git will be very easy for him to play, whereas a git with too-high action is nothing short of torture, even for experienced players.

If you don't have time to visit a tech today, go to the Annex and click on the Tech tab. Read "is my guitar sick", then take some measurements so you know where you stand setup-wise.

After taking the measurements, you can decide whether to mount lights or mediums.

If the action is low, I recommend D'Addario EJ-16 Phos Bronze, gauged 12-53. IMO, phos bronze produces a warm resonance that I particularly like.

If the action is high and you don't have time to visit a tech, I'd still recommend the D'Addario PB strings, but in a lighter gauge (11-47) until a setup can be done.

Speaking of setup, something comes to mind:

If the previous owner was into electric and had ultra-lights mounted, the git might already be set up with the very low action preferred by electric players. Still wouldn't hurt to measure, though. Just a thought.

• Members

Oh, BTW....

With regard to what Garthman said and the lad's fingers......

I'm assuming he's already started to build callouses because you mentioned that he knows 8 chords and a riff.

Otherwise, I would not recommend 12-53 strings.

If his fingers aren't very tough yet, 11-47 would be better.

• Members

Yeah, the action is super low. The plastic saddle looks a little worn from bending the bottom strings a lot; as a result, they buzz a tad on the lower frets.

Okay. Low action = good. Worn saddle = not so good. Buzzing = not good either.

I believe setup is in order. You've probably figured that out by now. ;)

Aside from the saddle being what it is, a slightly heavier gauge string will put a little more tension on the neck, thus increasing the relief. That might help reduce the buzz, but it's not a cure.

I'm not going to recommend you adjust the truss rod at this point in time because there are several adjustments the git needs, all of which interact with one another.

I think it's best that you make an appointment with a tech or learn to do your own setups if you don't already know how.

Best of luck.

• Members

Thanks for your posts everybody. Apparently, it's more than just changing strings. I'll run it over to Sam Ash. The tech there is supposed to be quite good. I wonder if he has a new plastic saddle for that guitar?

• Members

Thanks for your posts everybody. Apparently, it's more than just changing strings. I'll run it over to Sam Ash. The tech there is supposed to be quite good. I wonder if he has a new plastic saddle for that guitar?

Good for you. Yeah, any decent tech has usually got plenty of saddle blanks and can get ya fixed up right quick. FWIW, bone is nice and won't bust the bank account. I like it much better than plastic.

Best of luck.

• Members

Just curious, how young is your son? I started playing guitar when I was pretty little and I didn't use anything heavier than .10s on my acoustics until I was like 14. Just too much on the little fingers. I probably could have handled it after a while, but I wasn't up for the discomfort of building up my finger strength. I was an impatient little bugger.

Ellen

• Members

Just curious, how young is your son? I started playing guitar when I was pretty little and I didn't use anything heavier than .10s on my acoustics until I was like 14. Just too much on the little fingers. I probably could have handled it after a while, but I wasn't up for the discomfort of building up my finger strength.
I was an impatient little bugger.

Ellen

LOL

You sound just like me.

But I played a dread with heavy strings, cried with the pain every night at bedtime, then got up the next morning eager to grab the git before breakfast.

Also wanted to take it to school every day, but was only allowed to do so on "music day" which was every Wednesday

I lived for Wednesdays.

Archived