Epiphone "John Lennon" Amplification Question

dg3086

• Members

I have an Epi EJ-160E, but don't own an amp. I don't know whether I should purchase an acoustic or electric guitar amp. On the Epiphone forum, they recommended using a good set of bronze strings to bring out a warm acoustic tone. This has worked very well unplugged, but I'd kinda like to restring it with steel and go for that jangly Beatles sound. Will an acoustic amp be able to produce that kind of sound, or do I need to go electric?

• Members

Get the cleanest sounding amp you can...the ultimate, IMABO, would probably be a silver-faced Fender Twin Reverb (pricy and VERY heavy).

Almost as good (and easier on the pocketbook/spine) would probably be a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 or 77.

The Beatles primarily used Vox amps w/ their EJ-160s, so try those out, too.

For strings, D'Addario EJ21 - Jazz Light (http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetail.aspx?CodaID=588&ID=1&Class=AABA) sets work very well for both electric and "unplugged" playing, again IMABO.

I've also heard good things about their EPS590 - Jazz Light sets (http://www.daddario.com/DADProdDetail.aspx?CodaID=8008&ID=1&Class=AAGA), which are just a touch brighter, although I've not yet tried this set.

• Members

He's 110% correct on the amp choices.

Now a days we have acoustic amps, but if you're looking for that true Beatles sound, they did not have acoustic amps back then.

Also, my first choice for acoustic guitar amplification (other than just micing it up) is always a tube amp. It will bring out more warmth & clarity than a regular solid state amp.

Good luck & nice guitar by the way!

• 12 years later...