VOM 3 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, Apr 13, 2008

Stackabones

• Members
Here is a stab at "Signed DC" by the late, great Arthur Lee. Played on my 12 string.

Nice job! That 12 string sound great! :thu:

I had not heard that Arthur Lee had passed. That's sad. "Love" was one of my really early favorite bands back in High School. "Signed DC" was not my favorite song, those were "Alone Again Or" and "My Little Red Book", and "Message To Pretty".

Thanks for the memories.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great work everyone. Dak, Stack, Gil, Rhythm Doctor (we need to collabrate on something), Frets. Frets not only are you a monster guitar player, you are a great singer and songwriter. Thanks for joining us. Brahmz, you did a beautiful job on that Requiem.

Here is my offering.

Nice tune. Its the kind that sticks with you. A song you can hum along to. I like that in a song...good job.

• Members

First off, loved the song. Simple no....great job.

Secondly, I have been looking at a Samson Co1U at $89 from Sam Ash. I think I'm going to pull the trigger unless someone can recommend a better deal....

Thanks C70man. The Q1U is great for laptop recording. Not quite as detailed as my other Samson mic, a non-USB C02H pencil condenser. But I would guess the C01U will be comparable since it is also a condenser.

• Members
I've got a waltz this time around too. It's called Genie's Waltz.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=804016&content=music

Say, if any of you find that last harmonic will you send it to me?
:)

Off to work. Look forward to listening to all the submissions tonight.

NIce execution...made me want to grab a chair and smuggle with the misses. Oh and about that last harmonic...I think I stole it for mine.:)

• Members

Hello All,

i always enjoy the world of 'amateur music'; by that i mean the honest portrayals one finds in the 'real world', outside of the studios and pro concerts where people do everything perfect everytime... so thanx to all for their inputs here. i've decided to link to my first VOM as a tribute to the nice people i see here and in hopes that it provides a bit of inspiration, hope and peace to all.

recorded in my living room on a digital vidcam, seems to work pretty well. the guitar is my fave, taylor 414.

thanx for listening!

Great song.....and your recording worked really well..Sweet Taylor.

What I love most about all of these contributions is the introduction to musicians I would never have known.

• Members

C70man.....thanx.....about a year ago I began writing content for a recording project with a target length of 40 minutes.....at about the same time I joined the pioneer valley folklore society (http://www.filbert.com/pvfs/) and decided to write a song for each month's assigned "theme"....."as I age" was written for the "age" theme several months ago....as a result of this writing exercise, my total content is now well over an hour....all that's left to do is to spend some time in front of the mic.....

• Members

You folks are too kind! Thanks!

I hope to have something of my own soon - something happier too once the mood hits me.

Ellen: I wish I could bottle that enthusiasm you put into your playing. Great job!

Chris (FussenKuh): great jone and love the tone on that Yammie. These cheap guitars - of which my Tak is one - really mic well, don't they?

Crab Cake: loved the arrangement; very Alice in Chains-like. Love the percussion too!

Frets99: welcome! I loved your song and thank you for making it more personal with your conversation. That's one thing I'm beginning to realize/enjoy about open mics: we're just here to let it out hang out and support each other.

mrmoe: great little ditty! I imagine that it'd make a great soundtrack for some home movies/slideshows.

Bransonb: another nice waltz! :thu:

Stack: great song! I don't know why, but it reminds me of Elivs Costello.

g6120: yeah, I definitely catch the "America" vibe this time. I like it!

rhythmdoctor: good job on the banjo!

jeffcoop: man, you got a great voice!

totamus: great take on "Deep River Blues." Are you familiar with Paul Asbell?

Samilyn: Great job! I remember that my mom used to play that song when I was little. She used to love to listen to Billie Holliday and such.

...that's about I can handle for now. The kids are battling the PC for attention and I can't put much though into anything but keeping them from getting bored.

• Members
Garthman, I'm not familiar with the song but it sounded like parts of "House of Rising Sun" mixed in with Pink Floyd. I liked it.

I rarely ever and almost never play a 12. Your song tells me I really should pick one up once in a while. Tuning the damn thing always scared me.

;)

Thank you, C70man, for your kind words. The song is written by Arthur Lee who headed up the legendary, late 60's West Coast band "Love". The song is about their original drummer Don Conka who was shot up with H all the time.

Don't be afraid of a 12 string - I only bought mine about 4 weeks ago and soon got used to it. And they are really not that hard to tune. Go for it!

• Members
Nice job! That 12 string sound great!
:thu:

I had not heard that Arthur Lee had passed. That's sad. "Love" was one of my really early favorite bands back in High School. "Signed DC" was not my favorite song, those were "Alone Again Or" and "My Little Red Book", and "Message To Pretty".

Thanks for the memories.

Hi Sangemon.

Thank you - I've only had the 12 string a few weeks but I'm enjoying playing it a lot.

Yes, sadly Mr Lee passed away last year - leukemia. But I was lucky enough to catch three of his concerts over here in the UK when he started touring after he got out of gaol - and absolutely brilliant they were too. All the old stuff and all the songs from "Forever Changes" complete with orchestra.

Thanks for reminding me about "Message to Pretty" - one of my favourites too and I might well do it for the next VOM, perhaps transposed to Am (from Em - bit too high for me) and fingerpicked on a 6 string.

Here is a treat for you:

[YOUTUBE]JYINIxCD2rg[/YOUTUBE]

And another one:

[YOUTUBE]BBD8hh7t_Uk[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Nice tune. Its the kind that sticks with you. A song you can hum along to. I like that in a song...good job.

Thank ya kindly. :thu: I'm glad it stuck with someone, because it is so wordy I had trouble remembering the words even though there's only 3 verses.

EDIT: and nice work on your piece as well. That 12 string sounds amazing. :thu:

• Members

Wow - tons of cool songs/videos here. I've never seen a VOM before, but I mostly hang out in the electric guitar section, even though I'm more of an acoustic guy.

Here's my submission - a 21 year old classic by U2. I can't play fancy like you guys, but I think the simple strumming does this song justice:

[YOUTUBE]Jb0h2KTbQeI[/YOUTUBE]

Ok I dont have anything recent but I did remember an old recording that I made when I was a wee lad of 16. I cut my teeth on this song.

I learned how to record with this song. Whenever I got new equipment I would go over and redo the entire song. I probably spent over 60 hours working on this learning pro tools. Great experience, too bad it wasnt a better song.

My friend Matt sang (I hadn't developed my voice then) he was the lead singer of my band in high school. We played deftones and Alice In Chains cover songs!

Hmmm the sad thing is that in the 5 years since I made this recording. I have not improved one bit. That is kind of sad. But I played all the instruments. (even the bongos)

So have a listen, especially the outro. One of my favorite outros of all time.

http://www.box.net/shared/ljfuycxes4

That was terrific. I loved the acoustic tone you got.:thu:

• Members

Man its gotta be really hard to play bongos while playing the guitar!

Really a nice version. Great job!

Thanks guys, not too bad for a 16 year old lol.

Its been 5 years and I have progressed a bit, next vom i will try and bring the fury, if you can handle it ;)

Archived