VOM 3 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, Apr 13, 2008

Stackabones

Well, this is my 2nd submission to the VOM1T sessions. Unfortunately, as much as I was hoping to have some new material available for upload, I wasn't able to pull it off earlier in the week nor do I think I'll have time to record later today. So, I must humbly submit one of my previously recorded covers. Running with Crab_Cake's recommendation of "songs of revolution," I chose to post "House Gone Up In Flames." (
lyrics
)

Recorded in June of 2007 on my old Yamaha beater, "House Gone Up In Flames" comes complements of The Nightwatchman (aka Tom Morello). Unfortunately, I've yet to manage to play the guitar and sing at the same time, and, as this is an acoustic guitar forum, I've chosen to play my guitar rather than torture everyone with my lack of singing ability
;)

Chris

Nice job! Had a nice mountain feel to it. Loved the tutorial at the end!:thu:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would have been first take, except for all the hassle of getting it recorded properly. First take would have been better.

So here it is, an obscure Joe Cocker song called "Look What You Done":

Sounds great to me.

I kind of wish I'd done a second take. But if this were a live open mic, it's a one-shot deal, so that's exactly what I did. I gave myself only one shot at the song, treating this recording exactly as though it were a live open mic.

Yeah, my performance is horrible, but that's how it goes when ya do real open mic nights. Some days are better than others and today just wasn't my day.

• Members

recorded moments ago. I actually used a plectrum on this which I almost never touch any more.

SRV's Riviera Paradise on a CA GX Performer; unplugged.

(I need to practice more.)

When i get home tonight, I will listen to you guys & I'm looking forward to it but I've been running around all day and not done yet.

And my taxes aren't finished. hai karumba!

• Members

I can't begin to express how impressed I am by the boatload of raw talent that gets together here in this community.

I got up this morning and began puttering around and checked in here for a bit and listened to a few of the clips which just made me want to go practice more so around 11 I went downstairs and began practicing and before I knew it was 3 PM and there were a bunch more great clips up here and now I've watched them and gotten inspired again and want to go back down and practice some more again. Whew!

Maybe next month I'll be able to actually post something myself. Who knows?

Thank you all! The music is fine!:thu:

• Members

I kind of wish I'd done a second take. But if this were a live open mic, it's a one-shot deal, so that's exactly what I did. I gave myself only one shot at the song, treating this recording exactly as though it were a live open mic.

Guess I need to clarify - first take was great, but the recording didn't work. By the time I'd figured out all the recording problems it was 3rd or 4th take, and wasn't as good a performance. And there's still a @#@#$ couple of computer glitches in the recording.

• Members
Guess I need to clarify - first take was great, but the recording didn't work. By the time I'd figured out all the recording problems it was 3rd or 4th take, and wasn't as good a performance. And there's still a @#@#$ couple of computer glitches in the recording.

Thanks for clarifying, but no need to for my sake. I knew what you meant, that you had issues with the recorder, not with your singing. You did say that your first take was the best one.

I was merely commenting on why I hadn't done a second, better, recording and posted a bad (and embarrassing) performance. But that's exactly what would have happened had this been a live open mic.

I'll do better next time. :)

• Members
Thanks for clarifying, but no need to for my sake. I knew what you meant, that you had issues with the recorder, not with your singing. You did say that your first take was the best one.

I was merely commenting on why I hadn't done a second, better, recording and posted a bad (and embarrassing) performance. But that's exactly what would have happened had this been a live open mic.

I'll do better next time.
:)

I like your version of Summertime - cool way to play that tune. :)

Maybe I should just record to minidisk or something reliable, and then wrangle into the computer next time.

• Members

wow - lotsa good submissions this month. I'm particularly awed by Ellen, Frets and Stack's takes. Much as I love the challenge of a good instrumental piece for me there's just not substitute for the emotional release of a singalong.

I don't know if I'm gonna get to do a take or two tonight. My main PC is still on the fritz and we just put the kids to bed and both have been light sleepers lately. I also wanted to put in an original but damned if everything I make up is a "work in progress" and nowhere near "done." I love doing covers too but I just feel as if I'm cheating somehow.

Oh well, I've got about 4 more hours, right Sami? ;)

• Members

In Memoriam

I asked for the (optional) theme for April and Stack mentioned Death and Taxes, which was also the subject of a recent thread. This is my transcription of a Schumann piano piece called "In Memoriam," written to commemorate the death of Schumann's close friend Felix Mendelssohn. Maybe a bit subdued for a public open mic, but hopefully it will be acceptable for some home listening. It's a simple melody that was written for young children to play.

Played on my new Verri archtop, recorded on GarageBand. I've played this piece for years, but never for a recording. I tried to play at 60 BPM so I could follow the seconds as my visual metronome. I messed up the first few takes pretty bad, so I ditched the repeats in the music and then I was ok.

The microphone is a Samson Q1U USB mic, generously donated by Krash to use in the hospital where I work. Thanks Krash!

• Members

Oh well, I've got about 4 more hours, right Sami?
;)

7 more hours if you go by pacific time......;)

The wife was gone all day and I was busy taking care of kids.

Unfortunately, the baby was fussy most of the day (teething) In addition, he's become a bit more mobile. He started walking a couple days ago and he's getting into everything....:eek: Terrible 2's? He isn't even 1 yet.......

I only managed to play guitar for 15 minutes today. I'm going to try to make a recording after everyone goes to bed (crosses fingers). :thu:

Great job by everyone!

• Members

For all those out there with kids under the age of 15, this one's for you.

For those of you with grown kids or with no kids or those of you living under rocks, there's this kid named Miley Cyrus and she's real popular with the youngins. I'm covering her tune that I heard on the radio over Spring Break and decided was really cool.

Can't wait to hear everyone's stuff!

Ellen

Nice job Ellen. I think I might try to learn this song for work, and maybe win some points with my pre-teen patients. Then I'd just have to learn a few songs from High School Musical...

• Members

Hello All,
i always enjoy the world of 'amateur music'; by that i mean the honest portrayals one finds in the 'real world', outside of the studios and pro concerts where people do everything perfect everytime... so thanx to all for their inputs here. i've decided to link to my first VOM as a tribute to the nice people i see here and in hopes that it provides a bit of inspiration, hope and peace to all.
recorded in my living room on a digital vidcam, seems to work pretty well. the guitar is my fave, taylor 414.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjGPsxC4bic

thanx for listening!

Archived