Breedlove Atlas AC25/SR Plus!

astroboy

• Members

Hey everyone,

This guitar has gotten me so excited. The highest-end of the new Atlas series is the AC25/SR Plus, and you can buy it off Elderly for only 899! :)

Has anyone played or bought the Atlas series? Comments?

Does anyone know any music stores near NYC that carry Breedlove Atlas guitars?

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/AC25SRP.htm

• Members

did you get a chance to play the AC25/SR Plus? If so, what'd you think? are the atlas guitars well-constructed? hows the quality of the wood, and the sound?

thanks.

again, does anyone know any NY-area breedlove/atlas dealers?

• Members

I own the AC200/SM and i am blown away by this guitar. GREAT sound and playability! hard to believe the price..

Setup is top notch. Intonation is good. Tuners are stable grover tuners. Construction is good. I can see a few glue spots inside of mine (i inspected it with a flashlight inside), but nothing major. Saddle and nut are right on. I can find no real fault with it.

It sounds bright and clear, with enough bass present to keep me happy without it being boomy sounding. Seems to be opening up more already. That JLD truss system is interesting..

from the Breedlove guitar site (dealers):

NEW YORK

All Music Inc.

397 South Oyster Bay Road

Plainview, NY 11803

516-433-6969

Cathedral Music

1809 5th Ave.

Troy, NY 12180

(518) 273-5138

Mandolin Bros.

629 Forest Ave.

Staten Island, NY 10310

(718) 981-8585

Manny's Music Store

156 W. 48th Street

New York, NY 10036

(212) 819-0577

Royal Music

2064 Sunrise Highway

Merrick, NY 11566

(516) 377-8000

Out of those I know Cathedral had some of the Atlas series. Whether or not they still have them I don't know. I had to look through quite a few dealers in several different states to find mine, and then have it shipped to me..

• Members

Originally posted by irpacynot

Played 4 last night. My favorite was the AC25/SM cutaway. Think it goes for about $800-900. Wonderful brilliant/bright sound, nice feel.

How does it compare to your Larrivee L-03R? Specifically the AC or AD /SR Plus, if you had a chance to play with either of those.

Thanks,

Rob

• Members

I HAVE A BREEDLOVE ATLAS AC 200SM . GREAT GUITAR INSOFAR AS SOUND AND PLAYABILITY . MY ONLY COMPLAINT WAS THE PLASTIC NUT AND SADDLE , AFTER I INSTALLED TUSK NUT AND SADDLE THERE WAS ZERO COMPLAINT. UNFORTUNATELY AFTER 4 DAYS OF PLAYING AND ENJOYING THIS GUITAR, I HAD AN ACCIDENT WHICH HAS ENDED MY PLAYING DAYS. I AM SELLING ALL MY GUITARS. ( SEE CLASSIFIED.) ANYWAY I RECOMMEND THIS GUITAR MUST SAY IT FAR EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS. I BELIEVE THEY WILL ONLY GO UP IN PRICE.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have to say that the way Breedloves look (i.e. that cutaway design, headstock shape and art deco bridge design) is really starting to grow on me. There have been some pretty pictures of the more expensive Breedloves posted here with all sorts of exotic woods.

This guitar has gotten me so excited. The highest-end of the new Atlas series is the AC25/SR Plus, and you can buy it off Elderly for only 899!

:eek: WOW! :eek:

If that price is for an all-solid guitar then I definitely have to check one out! That's only slightly less than the Larrivee OM-03 that I tried out last night. I haven't had the opportunity to play a Breedlove yet - apart from an abundance of Martins and Taylors, most of what I've found around here are low-end Fenders, Alvarez and Epiphones! :(

I did find a local Breedlove dealer across town, though. They had a nice 12 string but I was intent on just trying out one of their Larrivee OM-03s and didn't want to slip and fall to temptation! At over $2K it was well beyond my price range!

• Members

Originally posted by astroboy

Hey everyone,

This guitar has gotten me so excited. The highest-end of the new Atlas series is the AC25/SR Plus, and you can buy it off Elderly for only 899!
:)

Thanks
:D

Astroboy,

I have tried the AC25/SR. It's basically a souped-down version of the AC25/SR Plus without the bindings and ornaments etc.

I tested it side by side with the AC25/SM.

The SR has a much louder volume and better projection, very balanced tone across the trebles, mids and bass.

However, the SM does have its own unique tone too, though it's softer. Response is very balanced too across treble, mid and bass. My fren commented that the SM sounded more woody, not really sure what he meant though... :D

Btw, I know where you can get the AC25/SR Plus at $899 with the case too. Try Ebay and search for Breedlove. The Ebay store name is Olkahama Vintage Guitar.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hello everyone, new to the forum (and to acoustic guitars, really). I was at GC last night to check out the Parkwood 370. It's an all-solid wood korean guitar for the same price as the AC25/SR and SM. It also has a more sophisticated mic/piezo system than the Breedlove. I wanted to check out the AC25 though, just to compare, and it played as well as any guitar in the store. The action is perfect, and the sound was great. It seemed to be superior to the PW in every way, excempt that the BL doesn't have solid wood sides. It didn't seem to affect the tone much. In fact, it sounded a little better, but not as much volume. It was the SM, not the SR, but it was really nice. The SR wasn't in stock, so I'd like to check one of those out as well. The SM I played had all the "Plus" extras though, which seems to be a bit of an anomaly, as I can't find another one like it online anywhere... Anyway, amazing guitar, and it may leave the store with me this weekend.

I was there at closing, and didn't get the chance to plug in. Does anyone have any feedback (no pun intended) on the Fishman classic IV system? Is the mic/piezo system (PW, Seagull, etc.) far superior to a straight piezo? I'm going to head back over this weekend to check it out, but I was wondering if a more sophisticated pickup system would pay off down the road. Frankly, I don't plan on doing much gigging or recording anytime soon, so it probably doesn't matter. But, I'd like to get the most I can for the money.

Thanks!

• Members

I went to try guitars with my ex girlfriend in Atlanta guitar centre, and the atlas' were the best sounding and playing guitars in her budget, and believe me, I tried everything they had that weekend!

I had my j-185 with me in the states at the time, and I believe the guitar I picked out for her was nicer than mine!

It's a cutaway dread type with the classic four fishman, and abalone purfling.

The classic four/matrix is a great, pretty much idiot proof way to get amplified IMO, and the truss setup and laminate sides should make for a stable, long lasting guitar.

I'd happily own and gig one.

• Members

If that price is for an all-solid guitar then I definitely have to check one out! That's only slightly less than the Larrivee OM-03 that I tried out last night. I haven't had the opportunity to play a Breedlove yet - apart from an abundance of Martins and Taylors, most of what I've found around here are low-end Fenders, Alvarez and Epiphones!
:(

The Breedlove Atlas series uses solid wood tops and backs, but laminate sides. Also, pinless bridges and the JLD Truss.

• Members

The classic four/matrix is a great, pretty much idiot proof way to get amplified IMO, and the truss setup and laminate sides should make for a stable, long lasting guitar.

I'd happily own and gig one.

+1

Loving what I've already got, I don't do a lotta shopping around. But a couple years back, helping a friend pick out a guitar, the Atlas series ended up being my choice for most likely to be "the one" in that sub $1k price range.

• Members

. . . MY ONLY COMPLAINT WAS THE PLASTIC NUT AND SADDLE , AFTER I INSTALLED TUSK NUT AND SADDLE THERE WAS ZERO COMPLAINT. . .

That's odd since they ship with TUSQ nuts and saddles. BTW, watch the CapsLock key. All caps is the equivalent of shouting.

Thanks.

Anyway, played various Atlas models in the local GC but only unplugged. I like them a lot, although I wish they'd use bigger tuner knobs. Then again, I have the same complaint about Seagulls.

• Members

The Breedlove Atlas series uses solid wood tops and backs, but laminate sides. Also, pinless bridges and the JLD Truss.

I've since tried one of the Atlases (the AD25/SR+ rosewood/spruce dread to be exact) and found it to be a nice guitar but not in the same league as my Larriv

• Members

Hey everyone,

:)

Thanks

The Atlas series isn't new, they've been out for at least three or four years now.

I bought an AC25/SR+ about three years ago with the same enthusiasm that you presently have. I sold it 6 months later and was lucky enough to break even because of a big price increase on new ones. To me, the sound was pretty good, but I was admittedly more impressed with the cosmetic "bling" of the AC25/SR Plus. Not only that, but it seemed too fragile and I was always afraid that I'd scratch or dent it. Once the ooh and ahh factor wore off, I realized the tone wasn't as good as I really wanted or expected. If cosmetics are important to you, buy one... you'll love it. If tone is your main priority, look elsewhere.

If I had to do it all over again I'd have bought an Epiphone EF500RA. It has better tone and better (consistent) build quality. It's quite a looker, too.

Here's some pics of my AC25/SR+ that I took before I Ebay'd it...

Breedlove3.jpg

Breedlove1.jpg

Breedlove2.jpg

PB111265.jpg

• Members

The Atlas series isn't new, they've been out for at least three or four years now.

...please refer to the date of the OP; it was made in late 2003. This thread was bumped by M.ScottWalker via a post that should have been made as a new thread, though I'm sure that was probably his intention. Forum software can sometimes be confusing to the uninitiated.

Archived