what does "line out" and "direct out" mean on amps?

burkedajerk88

• Members

I think that "line out" is something that you can connect to a PA. It's not a speaker level signal, so will need to be amplified further to get any useful sound out of it.

Definitely not the same as what you would attach an external speaker to. Those are usually clearly labeled as such ("external speaker", "external", or "ext").

I'm not familiar with "direct out". Have you seen it on the same amp as one with "line out"? If not, they might be the same thing.

-A

• Members

Neither output will drive a speaker. Both are for low level signal to another amplifier. Line Out is signal level that includes any front panel settings (EQ, DSP, etc). Direct out is not colored by effects and EQ. These can also be called "wet" and "dry"

EDIT- See Daks response below - this information is not correct with the Marshall amp, it is correct with a DI box that I have. Always best to check the manufacturers specs...

• Members

What does "line out" and "direct out" mean? are these terms the same as external speaker capability?

This means that they are giving a line level signal out. So a line level is (i forget the dbs rating, isnt it 1.5dbs?) but its the level that cd players use or any audio signal.

It will not power any speaker. Its for plugging into a PA or a recorder or something of that nature.

I am not sure what direct out is but I am assuming its the same thing.

• Members

I think that "line out" is something that you can connect to a PA. It's not a speaker level signal, so will need to be amplified further to get any useful sound out of it.

Definitely not the same as what you would attach an external speaker to. Those are usually clearly labeled as such ("external speaker", "external", or "ext").

I'm not familiar with "direct out". Have you seen it on the same amp as one with "line out"? If not, they might be the same thing.

-A

u guys beat me to it lol

O good job Totamus on the direct out. I haven't used a guitar amp in ages lol

• Members

well i've been looking at the marshall AS50D which has Direct out and line out capabilities...

I think that outdoorgb (another forumite here) has that amp. You might shoot him a PM if he doesn't see this thread.

-A

• Members

well i've been looking at the marshall AS50D which has Direct out and line out capabilities.

can line out or direct out be used to connect directly with a computer?

No not at all, the computer needs an ADA converter which converts the analog signal to a digital signal, then back to an analog signal (depending on your setup)

so you would need an digital audio interface like the digidesign mbox or something like it.

• Members

the Line Out level is not affected by the output volume control. It is meant to go to the Line In on something like a recording device. It is not meant to drive a speaker. You'll notice that some portable CD players have both a headphone jack and a Line Out jack. You can plug headphones into the Line Out jack and hear the signal (because the Line Out signal is capable of driving small headphones), but it will be at a constant volume, ie. not affected by the volume control. The headphone jack will be designed to drive small headphones and will be affected by the volume control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_in

I'd have to guess on the "direct out". I'd guess it would be for driving external speakers. I assume it's output would be affected by the master output volume control.

Scott O

I just saw that other replies were way ahead of me.

• Members

For that particular amp, the Marshall AS50D

3. Line Out Jack

Jack socket for connection to home recording or

other external equipment with jack inputs.

4. DI Out

XLR type output for connection to PA or similar

external equipment.

Note: Both the Line Out and DI out carry exactly

the same signal at different levels and both are

placed before the Master Volume so changing the

overall level of the amplifier will not affect the

signal from the DI or Line Output.

5. Effects Send Jack

Jack socket to connect to the input of an external

effects processor.

6. Effects Return Jack

Jack socket to connect to the output of an external

effects processor.

It's usually a good idea to look up the manual and read up on the features of a particular piece of gear you are not familiar with..

• Members

ahhhh, i c so its an XLR line out pretty much. Must be a marshal thing
:idk:

Not all direct outs are XLR but I think the majority are, particularly on newer amps. The only others I've seen have been, as Totamus mentioneded, pre-effects and pre-volume so they gave a pure, line level out so you could push it to mixer or other outboard effects prior to the mixer and subsequent FOH amp..

• 12 years later...

Archived