Sign in to follow this  
totamus

OT - Supreme Court Ruling - Do you Have Guns?

Pardon me if this is too politically charged, but I have noticed in my 30 plus years of playing, buying, selling, trading guitars that many guitar players also are gun collectors/shooters/enthusiasts.

So, please without squabbles, how many here are "into" guns?

I am - I have a collection of mostly handguns, and a couple of rifles also. I target shoot and keep up with them in a similar way as I do guitars. Handguns range from 22s to 45s.

This is a generally friendly place, where those of vastly different political convictions come together amiably, so please, let us keep that tradition.

Some of my friends who are musicians own them. I don't know if I would say I am "into" it. But sure, I go trap shooting and go hunting now and then.

I am. I shoot skeet, trap and sporting clays. My shotguns are far fancier and more expensive than my guitars. I'm glad the supreme court went the way it did because it makes no sense for a state or local government to pass laws that abridge a right provided to Americans in the constitution. That right, by the way, was put into the constitution to help the citizens protect themselves from a runaway government. Fortunately, that hasn't been necessary and probably never will be, but it makes no sense to the let the government abridge rights that are designed to protect us from the government itself.

Guns 'n guitars.... who would have guessed.

Anyway, I am very happy with the Supreme Court ruling. This is one of the most monumental rulings in recent history.

I've been around guns on and off for a lot of my life, having grown up in Arizona. At times I've owned handguns, rifles and shotguns. Most people I know who own guns are responsible, some are not.

Personally, I can take them or leave them. I get the appeal, but I personally have never felt safer with a gun than without (other than working at a guest ranch in the Rockies where I was frequently alone in areas where there might be bears or mountain lions...even then, I don't know what good a .38 would have done me other than scare them away).

Basically, I can understand both sides. I don't feel less safe here in Chicago because of the gun ban...but I doubt I'll feel less safe once it is modified pursuant to today's ruling, either. In the end, people who like and/or want guns are going to own them, most will be responsible, some won't.

:blah:

well - I grew up in Belfast in Northern Ireland and it was ever so slightly against the law to have a gun there. Gun ownership for sports is fine imo ... properly licensed etc. I probably have a bit of a naive opinion about America not being from here but surely if gun ownership wasn't so easy there would be fewer shootings, crazy people can't shoot anyone if they can't get a firearm. I'm just used to seeing soldiers carrying weapons - not civilians lol.

A government that is unable or unwilling to protect its citizens from armed criminals has no right to disarm its citizens.

Damn gun laws never protected ANYBODY but the damn crooks!

I live close to DC. I do not own any guns at all. I am not opposed to gun ownership for any lawful reason, self defense,target shooting or hunting.

Gun safety is an important issue with me. Too many idiots handle them IMO.

Been shooting most of my life, just target, no hunting. Spent a number of years competing with small bore (.22) rifles. Firmly believe in the right to own guns, but see no reason for a civilian to own an assault rifle or similar weapon. Law enforcement officers are people too and should not have to face that sort of firepower to earn a living. Off soapbox now.

I prefer air rifles and air-pistols (spring-air types). They're relatively quiet and adequate for keeping my marksmanship skills up. I do know how to use firearms but don't have any need for them.

I don't own any air-rifles right now. I used to have five European-made ones. I got into target archery.

I'm not into firearms for sport-hunting. Personally, I just don't see the sport in it and it seems to be too much money and time spent for too little eats :lol:. If I did get into hunting, I'd prefer to use an all-wood recurve longbow. Bowfishing is fine by me.

BTW, I do like the look of pistols with cocobolo grips.

Maybe it's the woods that draw us to guns and guitars?

I've spent a lot of time in pawn shops looking at what pawn shops routinely have an abundance of--you guessed it--guitars and guns. I used to hunt quite a bit and I enjoyed it, but I finally realized that I really don't like to eat wild game. I figured if I'm not going to eat it, I have no business shooting it. I hunt with a camera now.

Guns are still the best protection from the two-legged varmints.

There are no amount of laws that will keep the criminals from acquiring firearms, they're already lawbreakers.

I say good for the Supreme Court for allowing the average guy to legally protect himself from said criminals.

Sorry for saying this folks, don't wanna step on any toes, but this looks WAY to political for this part of the forum. Its not a political topic per se, but it touches on a pretty heated one. Granted, we are all civil enough to run a conversation without it going into big massive childish fights, but I still think this stuff should go to other more suitable forums.

Well...I'm in Canada. The government here has made it mandatory that all legally owned weapons be registered and then it's all entered into a data base. Those opposed to the registration say they have already registered their weapons years ago so why do must they do it again? The other anti-gun registration argument is that if the government keeps all the registered weapons in a data base this will give any computer savvy hacker criminal the opportunity to hack into it and get the adress of every gun owner in Canada.

Basically now if you want to own a gun in Canada you have to pay a lot of license fees and do a lot of paper work and take gun safety courses. Your weapons and ammunition must also be stored in accordance to government regulations. Having your shotgun/rifle collection in a rack on your living room wall is not part of government regulations...:lol:

I am not sure but I don't think it's legal for anyone except law enforcement type people or armed security guards to carry a concealed weapon or pistol in Canada. Certain types of rifles and shotguns are ok for civilians but you need to take the gun safety course and have a Fire Arms Aquisition Certificate before you can buy any weapons or ammo.

Although...even with all these government regualtions they still have 50-100 shootings in Toronto every year. :idk:

I probably have a bit of a naive opinion about America not being from here but surely if gun ownership wasn't so easy there would be fewer shootings, crazy people can't shoot anyone if they can't get a firearm. I'm just used to seeing soldiers carrying weapons - not civilians lol.

It turns out not to be true. Willful shootings are commited by criminals and criminals will do what they do with or without guns. Instead of shootings we will have clubbings or stabbings or chainsawings or whaever. Making the tool hard to get doesn't reform the criminal. The criminal simply chooses another tools. Murders are sometimes commited with automobiles and there certainly isn't any cry to ban automobiles.

Also we have varying gun laws here from state to state. Those with more severe gun laws do not enjoy less crime than those with more liberal ones. In some cases it is the other way around. The highest crime areas in our country are in the large cities, most of which already have draconian gun laws like DC was trying to implement. Most citizens cannot carry a gun in New York or Chicago. They can't even own a handgun in Chicago, let alone carry one. Chicago's violent crime rate is right up there with all the other major cities.

I like 'em big, I like 'em small, I like 'em all...

AND. I have extensive professional training. The SCOUS did the right thing, finally.

Diversity.jpg

BeerPretz.jpg

dinner.jpg

RClamDinPic.jpg

OFA.jpg

added - my gun on an airplane

100_1546_1.jpg

I do not know where I stand on a personal level. I can see arguments both For and Against on both sides of the equasion. I personally do not have guns of any kind; I am more into archery and often participate in bow season here in Ohio.

That being said, I am also a progressive with Libertarian leanings so to that end I am very much for personal rights and liberties.

I think the Supreme Court, for a change, made a good decision. The vague wording in the second amendment - though I always felt was painfully clear to me - has for too long given restrictive components in our political system far too much leash to curtail rights where this subject (and many others) are concerned.

I have personally always felt that the government needs to worry more about managing the nation / defense / international relations than it does meddling in Domestic / Moral engineering. I have always found myself somewhat in the middle with regards to political affiliations; I am a Fiscal Conservative, but a Social Liberal. That combination doesn't seem to have a solid political home anywhere which makes me an independent.

I don't have a gun. I live in town, in a condo.

I don't want a gun.

but...

My girlfriend, S has a couple. A small caliber rifle and a shotgun. I have had occasion to use them from time-to-time out there in the country where she lives.

but...

Her son, T lives in Florida. T has a couple of Uzis. Fully automatic machine guns. It's his "hobby". (T doesn't play the guitar)

He is so very happy with this Supreme Court decision.

I have guns, but personally have never felt I needed one for protection. Then again, I dont live in the bad parts of Detroit or DC. I use them to put injured animals out of their misery when they were attacked by a preditor or to protect my other animals. I agree with the courts decision.

I'll say this: Given the choice, I'd rather live in a country where guns are outlawed. That's just me. :idk:

I live in Canada and I own one target rifle. A heavy barrel .308.

I shoot for accuracy and I enjoy working up loads just as much as the shooting itself. It's very interesting to learn about all of the factors that influence a bullet's trajectory.

My dad has a few hunting rifles and a pair of .22s and a skeet shotgun. It's a great fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon at a shooting range!

I'll say this: Given the choice, I'd rather live in a country where guns are outlawed. That's just me.
:idk:

I once lived in a country where guns were outlawed ... among the civilians. Civilians with ties to the government were allowed to have guns.

It was a dictatorship with lots of cronies. Outlaws and crooks were still able to get guns.

The US isn't perfect, but I'm happier to be here.