Please help: Ibanez Electric-Acoustic won't turn on

rocknhard

• Members

My Ibanez AEF18e Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar has a Ibanez / B-Band SQR pickup and Ibanez AEQ-SSR shape shifter EQ and an onboard tuner. I get no lights on either and no output, I checked the batteries and replaced.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks.

• Members

A lot of onboard electronics arent active until a cable is plugged in. This is done to preserve battery life. If you accidentally use a stereo cord in such an instrument, the on board electronics will not work. Make sure you have a regular cord plugged into the guitar.

If thats not it, you will likely need a new pre-amp.

• Members

A lot of onboard electronics arent active until a cable is plugged in. This is done to preserve battery life. If you accidentally use a stereo cord in such an instrument, the on board electronics will not work. Make sure you have a regular cord plugged into the guitar.

If thats not it, you will likely need a new pre-amp.

Thank you very much, yes - I definitely had it plugged in. Is it unusual for a pre-amp to just die like this? thanks.

• Members

Make sure you didnt use a stereo cord. A stereo cord has a black band about midway up the plug, a regular cord does not.

Electronics are generally pretty reliable, but some do go bad. Usually failures happen in the first few months of ownership.

• Members

Make sure you didnt use a stereo cord. A stereo cord has a black band about midway up the plug, a regular cord does not.

Electronics are generally pretty reliable, but some do go bad. Usually failures happen in the first few months of ownership.

With no cords attached. Leave a good set of batteries in it for a few hours. If they go bad, you also know its in the preamp.

Also, can you test the terminals of the battery compartment?...do you have an ohm meter? If you have a dead short across the terminals you know its in the preamp. If not, look at the readings while playing with the volume control. It should move the resistance up and down with the switch. Failure to do so, would also indicate a bad preamp.

• Members

Still it might be something simple. If it's not under warranty, I would at least remove the unit and take a closer look. Usually things that don't even turn a LED on are simple solder connections or bad switch. Also take out any NICADs and put in regular batteries for a test - nicads sometimes fail to work in applications they weren't designed for because of their lower initial voltage.

• Members

Don't Acoustic Electrics utilize a set of contacts in the output jack as a switch to turn the preamp on when you plug the cable in. My Bass with Active Pre in it was setup/wired this way. If so maybe the contacts are not making with cable plugged in or a wire has come loose (due to bad solder connection)

• 11 years later...
  • Members
On 7/28/2008 at 4:55 PM, totamus said:

Thanks! I suspect this is my problem eleven years later

Archived