So what ever happened to the NRA thread?

JasmineTea

• Members

Ridicule is a powerful, rhetorical tool, but not really an argument.

For an interesting time, go back and skim all the posts, eliminating the ad hominems and focusing on the actual arguments.

Their are not really that many.

Excuse me, but this is a guitar forum, these OT threads are fair game for ridicule. :poke:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thread is like a burning train wreck. I want to get away, but I can't stop looking.
:eek:
I don't even like popcorn, but "when in Rome...". Samilyn, could you pass the bowl this way?
:snax:

Happy to oblige. Here ya go >>>>> :snax:

And LOL about the train wreck...that's what I said about the Zager thread that got locked.

• Members

Originally Posted by Mediocre70'sPopRock

You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish

That was the title of a mediocre '70s album by REO Speedwagon, one of the few I bought on cassette. After a few playings, the tape would get wound around the capstan, and it would take a half hour of swearing to get it all out. Another promising technology doomed by poor quality.

Oh, gee, sorry - guess that's OT. :p

• Members

That was the title of a mediocre '70s album by REO Speedwagon, one of the few I bought on cassette. After a few playings, the tape would get wound around the capstan, and it would take a half hour of swearing to get it all out. Another promising technology doomed by poor quality.

Oh, gee, sorry - guess that's OT.
:p

That's okay, Krash.

Here, have some popcorn. lurk.gif

• Members

Oh, gee, sorry - guess that's OT.
:p

Yeah, I made up the whole quote thing because I always liked that name, saying, album title or whatever we want to call it. I had the album also, too bad the music wasn't as good as the album title and cover art (a fish with a tuning fork in it's mouth) but I was in high school and it worked for me then.

• Members

Saw an article in the newspaper (that's those old timey things that people get up early in the morning and toss into your driveway-usually contains yesterday's news) about how power generation via wind turbines is already starting to die. After spending a few billion dollars someone figured out that if the wind ain't blowin' you ain't generating any power. So, you have to always have an alternative source of power available to instantly take over when the wind quits blowing.

:facepalm:

They work harder during the daytime/windy hours to make up for the higher energy use/less windy nighttime hours.

They work, period.

I don't know why everyone is so hostile to any form of energy other than oil.

deserves a :facepalm:

• Members
Saw an article in the newspaper (that's those old timey things that people get up early in the morning and toss into your driveway-usually contains yesterday's news) about how power generation via wind turbines is already starting to die. After spending a few billion dollars someone figured out that if the wind ain't blowin' you ain't generating any power. So, you have to always have an alternative source of power available to instantly take over when the wind quits blowing.

• Members

They work harder during the daytime/windy hours to make up for the higher energy use/less windy nighttime hours.

They work, period.

I don't know why everyone is so hostile to any form of energy other than oil.

deserves a

Because oil is easy (except for the part about acquiring it of course) and we're used to it. Supporting alternatives often requires a change in thinking, and lord knows we wouldn't want that to happen.

The fact of the matter is that windpower by itself is no cure for our oil dependency. Neither is solar, neither is conservation, or alternative fuels, or pretty much anything else you can name. But no rational advocate of any of these alternatives ever, to my knowledge, said it could fully replace oil. But those technologies, and others, cumulatively, could go a very long way toward providing long term viable alternatives without resorting to more wars, drilling in ANWR or off the coast of Florida or CA. Wind power is just one of an arsenal of things we can and should be doing. That seems to be a pretty difficult concept for the naysayers to grasp though. Then of course there are the nimby's.

We recently represented the owner of 150 acres growing grapes and olives in Sonoma County, CA, who wanted to build a tall windmill on her property to power her operation. The wm as designed would not only have powered her entire operation (including processing and bottling facilities), but would have sent power back to the grid. The location was on a bluff with steady wind from the ocean almost all year around and with no nearby neighbors, a perfect spot. Opposition from adjoining landowners was strong, and in the end, the wm had to be relocated and scaled back so much that it will now only provide about half the power she needs, never mind sending any back to the grid. And that's after tests demonstrated that there would be no appreciable noise that anyone could possibly hear, and no one else within sight.

The opposition came from neighbors on both sides of the political spectrum. They all also happen to be very wealthy. Rumors were spread, great sums of money spent, articles written, and not a few strings pulled, and in the end they got what they wanted, which was to maintain their vision of rural tranquility in some of the richest agricultural land in the country, undisturbed by anything so potentially ugly as a windmill. What they were afraid of was not that this particular wm would disturb them (it wouldn't), but that it would set a precedent and eventually the ridges around Sonoma would be covered with the things (and then what would happen to property values?). Heaven forbid. Nimbyism at it's best (or worst).

• Members

Agreed: this thread should die.

BTW, has anyone seen JT?

Well aside from originating this thread not so long ago, he seems to be in "lo-profile" mode of late, which beats "no-profile". I had a quick PM x-change with him a month or so ago. Nothing "major" to report.....

• Members

In case you were wondering there is a place for this sort of discussion and 'acoustic guitars' it ain't. Try the 'political party' sub-forum; acoustic guitars and politics are mutually exclusive-or should be.

Mods please remove this thread.

• Members

In case you were wondering there is a place for this sort of discussion and 'acoustic guitars' it ain't. Try the 'political party' sub-forum; acoustic guitars and politics are mutually exclusive-or should be.

Your right, but just out of curiosity, if you're single minded to acoustic guitars only, why did you click on this thread?

Archived